PDA

View Full Version : Underweight: foolish to consider a thru?

Vapour
04-12-2006, 17:45
I just found out that I may be able to hike some or all of the AT after all this year, I have all my gear already, and could start in 2 weeks. Being a long-distance runner, I am fit, but also at a very low body weight, with a BMI just slightly over 18. I know most hikers lose weight on the trail. I can't really afford to lose any. Is it foolhardy to consider a thru if one is clinically underweight at the start?

SGTdirtman
04-12-2006, 17:59
Im rather light myself, about 5'10 145 pounds... I actually gained weight last year doing a ton of hiking because I burned fat and built up muscle.

Big guys have fat to burn and can lose weight, I dont have that luxury same with you. So I bring different food than most hikers and more of it. My normal trail diet is mostly MRE's which are packed with calories and fat and I end up coming off the trail bulkier than when I started. If you pack a proper diet I dont think you'll have a problem (for instance dont try and live on ramen noodles and freeze dried crap) I dont know much about diets and all the nutritional stuff so you may wanna find one of the nerdy health guru's to help you plan something out. but you can do it for sure.

Footslogger
04-12-2006, 18:11
Chances are if you're thin already you won't loose much as you hike. Just focus on snacks throughout the day. That is the one thing a lot of hikers underestimate ...the need for food between meals.

Get stuff compact and high in calories and fats and munch regularly ...

'Slogger

Rendezvous01
04-12-2006, 18:12
As SGTdirtman said, much of the weight that people lose is stored energy. Since you haven't any stored energy to lose, you will need to eat more calories than your average hiker. Most hikers fill up on high-carb foods while out on the Trail, then load up on fats and proteins while in town (sometimes with negative consequences!). You'll just have to be smarter than most when it comes to food-shopping for your hike.

Many women who hike the trail actually gain a little weight during their journey. I would venture a guess, though, that more of the women who choose to thru-hike start the Trail in better shape than the men.

As long as you are wise in your food choices, Vapour, you should be fine.

Vapour
04-12-2006, 18:32
Wow, thanks, this is so encouraging!

If I go, I'll be starting at Springer. I don't have my maps or data books yet, can anyone tell me what the longest stretch is between re-supply points in the first few hundred miles? Am trying to get a feel for the max pounds of food I would need to carry at any one time in the first few weeks.

I would expect my body weight to be about 105 and pack weight to be about 25 starting out, so obviously I have some concern about being able to carry enough food to fuel my hike and gain or at least maintain my weight through the first few weeks....

Skidsteer
04-12-2006, 18:35
can anyone tell me what the longest stretch is between re-supply points in the first few hundred miles? Am trying to get a feel for the max pounds of food I would need to carry at any one time in the first few weeks.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=89401&postcount=1

kyhipo
04-12-2006, 18:37
no way man your hiker fit,i gain weight my self,I dont know why people lose alot of weight but i never did.Matter of fact I weigh 160 when i am hiking i weigh 165 or more,eat plenty of junk food you should be fine,your 18 chances are you will put more muscle on your frame have fun.ky

Footslogger
04-12-2006, 18:38
[quote=Vapour]Wow, thanks, this is so encouraging!

If I go, I'll be starting at Springer. I don't have my maps or data books yet, can anyone tell me what the longest stretch is between re-supply points in the first few hundred miles? Am trying to get a feel for the max pounds of food I would need to carry at any one time in the first few weeks.

==================================

Longest stretch in that section is around 5 days depending on your pace and food consumption. I averaged 4 - 6 day resupplies pretty much througout the hike to avoid a crazy heavy food bag. My starting supply of food coming out of town was around 8 - 10 lbs.

'Slogger

vipahman
04-12-2006, 18:44
Im rather light myself, about 5'10 145 pounds... I actually gained weight last year doing a ton of hiking because I burned fat and built up muscle.
I'm 5'9", 145 lbs and while I'm not a thru' hiker, I agree 100% with the sarge. We lightweights tend to gain weight with heavy exertion, be it hiking or weights, because we build up muscle. Don't starve yourself or overeat and you'll be fine. Carry olive oil (240 cal/oz) to replenish your fat.

Just Jeff
04-12-2006, 18:54
I think many people lose so much weight because they drastically increase their physical output when beginning a hike. If you're lightweight because you're a runner, it doesn't seem like it would be a problem. You're simply replacing one high-calorie-burning exercise with another, so like 'slogger said, you may not lose much weight while hiking.

Vapour
04-12-2006, 19:00
no way man your hiker fit,i gain weight my self,I dont know why people lose alot of weight but i never did.Matter of fact I weigh 160 when i am hiking i weigh 165 or more,eat plenty of junk food you should be fine,your 18 chances are you will put more muscle on your frame have fun.ky

Thanks for the encouragement! Wish I were 18, tho! Try closer to 48. The 18 referred to my BMI, that's a height/weight ratio thing they use to calculate what we're all supposed to weigh.

kyhipo
04-12-2006, 20:11
Thanks for the encouragement! Wish I were 18, tho! Try closer to 48. The 18 referred to my BMI, that's a height/weight ratio thing they use to calculate what we're all supposed to weigh.my bad i was spacen still go dor it!:banana

kyhipo
04-12-2006, 20:12
[quote=kyhipo]my bad i was spacen still go for it:banana

Sly
04-12-2006, 21:28

I don't think there's anyway you would/could gain weight on a thru-hike, unless you seriously chowed down in town and hit everyone possible. That's not 3 good meals, it's six!

Being fit, you should be able to do 15-20 miles consistantly or the equivelent of about 6000 calories to hold your current weight. Unless you're drinking straight olive oil, which would probably cause some unpleasant problems, I think a good average is 100-125 calories per ounce.

Do the math, 4-5 lbs of food per day. Why would you bother? You'd probably feel better losing a few pounds than trying to eat all that food.

kyhipo
04-12-2006, 21:59
I don't think there's anyway you would/could gain weight on a thru-hike, unless you seriously chowed down in town and hit everyone possible. That's not 3 good meals, it's six!

Being fit, you should be able to do 15-20 miles consistantly or the equivelent of about 6000 calories to hold your current weight. Unless you're drinking straight olive oil, which would probably cause some unpleasant problems, I think a good average is 100-125 calories per ounce.

Do the math, 4-5 lbs of food per day. Why would you bother? You'd probably feel better losing a few pounds than trying to eat all that food.excuse me sly but I think one would know if they gain or lose:-? nothing personal though is it!ky

Uncle Silly
04-13-2006, 01:32
I'm 6' on the dot and weigh in between 135-145 lbs (usually closer to 135). This puts me distinctly in the underweight category. I think I started at 135, lost about 5lbs in the first 2-3 wks on the trail last year, but by the time I left the trail (4 mos and 1100 miles later), I'd gained all of that and more back and weighed in around 140.

Granted, I didn't shave, but 4 months of beard growth couldn't account for more than a pound...

Flirty
04-13-2006, 13:13
Being a long-distance runner, I am fit, but also at a very low body weight...
Hey Vapour, I too am a long-distance runner for several yeas. It's like breathing daily at this point. On my first long day hike, I became VERY aware of the different muscles used - it was a good experience. Have you thought about your daily running? Do we let it go, give it up while doing multi-day hikes? Somehow I haven't mentally accepted that long-distance hiking is a "work out". (I know some people here will want to shoot me for asking this, sorry.)

Ender
04-13-2006, 13:34
I don't think there's anyway you would/could gain weight on a thru-hike, .

I gained 15 pounds on my thruhike. A combo of heavy eating and heavy excercise (muscle weighs more than fat). I started out thin, and ended up thin but in rocket good shape.

Almost There
04-13-2006, 13:45
Hey Vapour, I too am a long-distance runner for several yeas. It's like breathing daily at this point. On my first long day hike, I became VERY aware of the different muscles used - it was a good experience. Have you thought about your daily running? Do we let it go, give it up while doing multi-day hikes? Somehow I haven't mentally accepted that long-distance hiking is a "work out". (I know some people here will want to shoot me for asking this, sorry.)

If you don't believe that backpacking will keep you fit...here do this. Fill you pack and hike south out of the NOC. Go 10 miles in and then camp and then ten miles back to your car. Let me know if this is a work out. All things are relative. Is it as physically demanding as running a marathon, etc. No,probably not. However, it will get your heart going, and it will challenge your body. I've seen guys much skinnier, smaller, and in better shape than me on the trail. They pass me in the morning and near the end of the day I end up passing them.

The question is how much have you been out, and how many days have you gone in a row? Day hikes don't count. Completely different...mentally and physically.

BTW, Wolf if you read this I don't want to hear it. Go back to your committee meeting at Dot's!:D

Vapour
04-13-2006, 13:46
I think continuing to run while I'm getting ready would only be a good thing, since it's such an anxiety-reliever. I'm not new to hiking, have done several 4 and 5-day section-hikes on the AT already, so I know its different muscles.

Have you ever run (trail-run) on the AT?

HIKER7s
04-13-2006, 13:49
Vapour,

Although I dont intend here to be of the opinion that you arent fit enough to do the thru; in fact you should do fine as long as you get your nutritional info in order. It appears however you may have just came to this decision and now are trying to cram a years worth of planning into a prep window of two weeks. I am not saying it cant be done (by the way are you truly a novice or have you done some multi-day hiking before). I just think if this is the case you may want to postphone a year, watch and gain all the info you can about how this years class is doing OR take a little more planning time if your set on going now and start later at springer (better yet, if you can start at Kahtadin).

Please keep in mind I say this as it appears. You say you dont have maps and books. Does this tell me you also dont have an idea of your re-supply point yet either. How about your line boxes, have they been set up to go?.

Flirty
04-13-2006, 13:52
Have you ever run (trail-run) on the AT?

Nope, not on the AT.

Have done 13 miles in a day. Have done 10 mile trail runs in the hill country of Texas. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not "hills" or "mountains" like the AT or RMNP, but it's all I've got near me!. :)

(And to Wolf, and all the other very veteran, experienced, wise-ones, please be kind to me, my newness, and my naivity. If I don't ask, I'll NEVER learn.)

DawnTreader
04-13-2006, 13:55
5'8, 140 lbs. 25 year old male. a little worried about my diet on the trail also, as I don't have any weight to lose. I will be doing my longest section hike this summer, and also am a little worried about weight. these posts are very encouraging. . I really am delighted to see so many people helping each other on this site, it means a lot to so many people.. thank you thank you..
SGTDIRTMAN::::Where is a good place to buy standard MRE's???

HIKER7s
04-13-2006, 14:00
Where is a good place to buy standard MRE's???[/quote]

I was able to get them (I dont use them, too bulky for me) for the scout troop I am afiliated with by contacting an army base (In my case it was FT DIX, NJ). I forget who or what activity my contact was with however they donated 3 cases of MRE to the Troop.

I am sure the SGT will be able to zero in as to what particular activity on a base you need to request to

Mags
04-13-2006, 14:04

While related, it is a completley different experience to say the least.

Different muscle groups, different environment, different type of endurance.

On long runs (marathons and most definitely ultras), you are putting out a lot of energy in one relatively short burst. Even a slow marathon runner like myself is done within 4-5 hrs. For the Leadville 100, the cut off is 30 hrs.

Very hard, very intense..over with soon.

On a thru-hike, us mere mortals usually can't put out that kind of energy over the long haul. And because it is a different set of muscles, a fast runner is sometimes not a fast hiker.

My buddy Josh has been running for years. He has the classic road runners build - tall and lean. When we run together..well, we don't run together long. :D His PR marathon time is about 3:35 IIRC. Mine? 4:37. Yep, I'm a slow runner!

Put us on a hiking trail? Kind of like the cheetah vs. the pack mule. I'll be going up the trail waiting for him. He'll also be tired after a 20 mile hike more so than I. It is why I've dabbled in ultras - the pace is not much different from fast hiking for the average runner like me. Getting back to the endurance vs. speed theme, I'd be hard pressed to do a 3:35 marathon. Heck, I'd be hard pressed to a sub 4 hr marathon. :)

Josh would be hard pressed to do the Maroon Bells loop last year (30 miles, 10k elev gain) and recover quickly. He thinks I'm nuts for doing the Colorado Trail in 20+ days.

Also, keep in mind, the calaore burn for a marathon is the same for a full day of backpacking. Except the marathon is again, over with in 3.5-5hrs. The thru-hike lasts 4-6 mos. :)

Guess what I am trying to say, is that being an in shape runner helps. But, it is a different shape than hiking on mountainous terrain for months at a time.

Finally, Chuckie V. is a world class athelete (and a heck of a nice guy). He won the Canadian Ironman back in 1999 and is now a well known coach in the tri community. Anyway, he was surprised how hard the PCT trek was. As he put it, he does a tri all in one shot. On a thru-hike, he has to repeat is every day!

Not harder or easier..but definitely different.

Almost There
04-13-2006, 14:09
Well put Mags!

Flirty
04-13-2006, 14:19
While related, it is a completley different experience to say the least......Not harder or easier..but definitely different.

Thanks Mags. That's EXACTLY the kind of comparison information I desperately needed. And yeah, now it makes more sense, if I compare what you've said with the little experience I've had. Cool.

Mags
04-13-2006, 14:22
Thanks Mags. That's EXACTLY the kind of comparison information I desperately needed. And yeah, now it makes more sense, if I compare what you've said with the little experience I've had. Cool.

Know what you mean! I came from the different end. A long distance hiker taking up running. Found I have great endurance..but hard to transition to good speed. My recovery rate is excllent though!

Glad it helped!

Ridge
04-14-2006, 13:42
Me, I'm just a drinker with a hiking problem. I always lose weight when on a long multi-day hike, but those with a low BMI could very possibly put on some weight, if they really eat a lot and build the anticipated muscle mass that comes with long distance hiking. I've never seen or even heard of anyone actually gaining weight duing a thru-hike (before the discussions here at WB).

Doctari
04-14-2006, 16:31
My understanding of the weight loss on the trail is loss of body fat, more accurately: that fat turned into muscle, which weighs less that fat (ie: same volume of fat weighs more than the same volume of muscle). So, if I is right, a fit person should gain less muscle. You should be OK, eat well (as best you can) & keep an "eye" on your energy level, if it drops, take a break & eat.

Have fun.

Pack light.

Think of us stuck here at home from time to time.

Doctari.

Vapour
04-14-2006, 16:49
My understanding of the weight loss on the trail is loss of body fat, more accurately: that fat turned into muscle, which weighs less that fat
Thanks for the encouragement!

Just a wee clarification tho. Fat can't "turn into" muscle, nor does muscle "turn into" fat if one stops working out. Fat is fat. Muscle is protein. Two completely different things. Tho it might appear that way if a person is losing body fat on their hike, while simultaneously building up muscle in their lower bodies.

Doctari
04-14-2006, 20:48
Thanks for the encouragement!

Just a wee clarification tho. Fat can't "turn into" muscle, nor does muscle "turn into" fat if one stops working out. Fat is fat. Muscle is protein. Two completely different things. Tho it might appear that way if a person is losing body fat on their hike, while simultaneously building up muscle in their lower bodies.

:p
Too true. Neither actually Morph, it's more of an analogy I suppose. As you say, you loose body fat along with gaining muscle. :D

Doctari

Mountain Mike
04-14-2006, 21:21
I don't see any reason it would be a liability. Most hikers loose weight because they are out of shape. With your training you already have a calorie intake so just increase it by say 30% Most hiker dom't know what a 6000 calorie day is. You do. Just plan on that.

JoeHiker
04-21-2006, 11:31
I'm 6' tall and about 160 pounds. I run a few marathons a year. Last fall, just a couple of days after running a PR at the Chicago Marathon, I hiked the Long Trail from Vermont to Massachusetts (well not quite the whole thing -- snow in the mountains stopped me). Anyway, after two weeks of hiking hard up and down those mountains of Northern Vermont every day, I came back in monster shape. Just 2 weeks of hiking on mountains made a massive differences.

After a week to get used to running again, I started doing 10-12 mile training runs where I was throwing down 6:30 miles like they were going out of style. I couldn't believe how strong I felt or how easy the pace.

Yes, hiking is a somewhat different form of excercise. Yes you will have to get used to running again. And yes, it's probably a lot different if you do a multi-month through as compared to just the two weeks of hard hiking I did. But I still think it can do wonders for your running.

Mags
04-21-2006, 11:58
I
Yes, hiking is a somewhat different form of excercise. Yes you will have to get used to running again. And yes, it's probably a lot different if you do a multi-month through as compared to just the two weeks of hard hiking I did. But I still think it can do wonders for your running.
Depends. Chris (Suge) and I both had similar experiences when transitioning back to running from hiking.

I did the Colorado Trail in 20+ days. The week after I finished the CT did a trail half marathon. The week after THAT I did a full mararthon.
(Sat Sept 12th, finish the Colorado Trail ..Sun Sept 20th, did the Aspen Trail Half. Sun 27th did the Boulder Back Roads Marathon).

My endurance and recovery was fantastic. Speed? Ha!

Though, I think would have been extremeley prepared for a 50 mile ultra... (Was going to do one two weeks later, but I had already bought a plane ticket to NH. :( )

Alas, I am only 5'6" (and 175 lbs) . And while I am in very good to excellent shape, I am not in great RUNNING shape (esp. road running). My calves and legs in general are about the almost twice the size of my hard core running friends. Seriously. So short, muscular legs = slow running.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see what your running was like AFTER a multimonth thru-hike. I suspect you'd see a difference. As I hike (and trail run) more than road run, I think the results may be similar to the way I am now. Good endurance and recovery, slower speed. Of course, you have a good half a foot on me (and lighter!) so that helps with running. ;)

Ridge
04-21-2006, 15:52
Depends. Chris (Suge) .......I did the Colorado Trail in 20+ days............

So, you averaged around 25 miles per day, or 17 miles per day (depending on the +++ added to the 20) Did you start in Durango? Denver? I've done this trail and I am in awe at you doing it at this pace, way to go.

Mags
04-21-2006, 16:29
So, you averaged around 25 miles per day, or 17 miles per day (depending on the +++ added to the 20) Did you start in Durango? Denver? I've done this trail and I am in awe at you doing it at this pace, way to go.

It was 20 days and less than twelve hours. Call it 20.5 days.

I also took two longer alternate routes. The current mileage of the "official" CT is 483 miles according to the new guidebook about to comeout. (it was 468). I am guessing my route was a little over 500 miles. A bit over 24 miles a day on average.

Ethier way, it is one step at a time..so don't be in awe. :)