PDA

View Full Version : HEET=sTp gas treatment?

Heather
04-12-2006, 18:34
Does anyone know if sTp gas treatment is equivelant to HEET? It says it has jet fuel in it. This will be used for a brasslite micro alcohol stove.

Thanks,

posting from the Bears Den Hostel,

Heather

Skidsteer
04-12-2006, 18:39
Does anyone know if sTp gas treatment is equivelant to HEET? It says it has jet fuel in it. This will be used for a brasslite micro alcohol stove.

Thanks,

posting from the Bears Den Hostel,

Heather

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=5019

No, it is petroleum-based, not alcohol based.

Footslogger
04-12-2006, 18:41
Off the top of my head I'd say NO. Heet is alcohol and STP is a petroleum based solvent (which may contain some alcohol/ethanol).

If you're curious ...take some STP and put it in an old tin can and light it. My guess is it'll have a noxious odor and may smoke, whereas HEET burns clean and hot.

'Slogger

Heather
04-12-2006, 18:45
Thanks for the quick post. Maybe Lori here can use a free bottle of gas treatment.

crane egan
04-13-2006, 17:02
Most gas treatment are kerosene with the exception of Dry-Gas which is alcohol. Jet fuel is kerosene minus parafin.

lug nut
04-14-2006, 16:32
for a ready supply of denatured alcohol go to your local Napa or Coop and purchase tractor/trailer air line antifreeze. You can buy it in a 1/2 gal. or gallon container. A lot cheaper than buying Heet.