PDA

View Full Version : Little River Adventures: for women, by women

weggers
04-13-2006, 02:50
A great new women's hiking group in the Washington, D.C. area. Their first trip is "getting to know you" camping in Shenandoah National Park, scheduled for April 22 and 23. They also have a kayaking trip planned at Assateague Island National Seashore on May 6 and 7.

More information is available at www.littleriveradventures.com (http://www.littleriveradventures.com)

That website is still under construction, so you can also look at:

http://groups.myspace.com/littleriveradventures

(http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:ol%28%27http://groups.myspace.com/littleriveradventures%27%29;)

scothiker
04-13-2006, 10:24
This is great. Wish we had something like this in Atlanta.

allie
04-13-2006, 12:23
This is great. Wish we had something like this in Atlanta.

What would stop someone from starting one in Atlanta? I think that would be great! I would definately join something like that and I have several friends that would do it too! If I wasn't starting grad school I would try to organize it! Is there anyone out there in Atl. area that would organize it? I know there would probably be lots of people interested

Cuffs
04-13-2006, 12:26
I wont commit to starting the ATL area club, but I would be willing to help where I can... since I am only a couple hours drive away in Birmingham...

I did sent the link to my sister who lives in the DC area, I think she'd be very interested in it.

QHShowoman
04-13-2006, 14:10
Wow, cool! Thanks!

weggers
04-13-2006, 15:32
What would stop someone from starting one in Atlanta?

Tanya and Toni put a lot of work into this. I think it was a life long dream. So nothing should stop others from organizing something like this in their own cities; but the great thing about Little River is that some of the gear is provided. (The women have been collecting it for a while.) That's especially great for people who don't own kayaks, etc. Glad there's some interest out there! Spread the word!

scothiker
04-13-2006, 16:35
How'd they get it started?

Pringles
04-13-2006, 17:36
I don't think it takes so much organizational skills to get a women's outdoor group going, as some kind of word of mouth advertising. Check with local sporting goods stores... there may already be a group. If there isn't, start telling clerks in the sporting goods stores how to get in touch with you and I bet others will respond. See if there's a bulletin board and put a card up. I offered a weekend women's backpacking session through the college where I work, and twenty some women called. I didn't end up doing the trip because of a death in the family, but wow, did I find outdoors women. Check with the local community college or university (ask to talk to the folks in the cake decorating division :-) No offense to cake decorators, I'm fond of decorated cakes! ), and see if they can do the advertising for you.

Often, it's not that the group does so much together, as that people find others to their liking and they then set up hikes with their new found friends. You have to have a few group hikes every year, to see if there's someone new and interesting.

In my area (state, actually), there's a women's kayaking group. They formed so women didn't have to do things while kayaking that those "testosterone driven males" do--at least that's what they say. For the first few years I was with the group I referred to them (never to THEIR faces, of course) as *The Amazon Women On Steroids*. I was terrified sometimes. But, they were very supportive as we went over dams (Really! Though at the time I thought we were going under a bridge.) and for five hour jaunts in the backwaters of Lake Huron (no need to get out of the boat, is there?).

I really think you'll have no problem starting a group, and keeping it going, though I do advise against having many meetings. They seem to be the death of outdoor groups. I tried starting a backpacking club on campus, but when I/we found we'd have to have a president and he/she would have to attend meetings, and we'd have to have goals and a mission and meetings, and, oh nevermind. It became quite impromptu and fun once we got out of "group" mode.

Once again, I've rambled. Sorry.

Beth

weggers
04-13-2006, 21:06
Well, this is not a club as much as it is an adventure guiding service. But a guide service with a sense of community, so it has that club feel going for it. I'm not sure exactly how it all came about, but go to their my space website and ask!

(javascript:ol('http://groups.myspace.com/littleriveradventures');)

sarbar
04-17-2006, 10:33
Hey ladies...I can say it isn't hard to get a group going (non-guided). I did that in 2002, here in the PNW. We did Ladies trips for a good year-but then took them co-ed as we had guys we wanted to meet. That was how our hiking group got started.
It does take at least one person who is willing to hunt down everyone, handle emails, plan trips, etc.
As for guided....while it would have been fun, I wasn't willing to take the insurance and $$ lawsuit risks :(
Nice though that someone is wanting to do that as a business.

toliveira
08-21-2007, 19:36
Hi Tanya here from Little River Adventures. We have been going strong now for over a year. Offering about 10 weekend trips a year and many day trips. We have a backpacking overnight on the AT in Shennandoah National Park Sept 1nd & 2nd for labor day weekend! Still room if anyone wants to join us. Go to littleriveradventures.com for more info.
Thanks,
Tanya