PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry to Daleville via Blueridge

Trail Dog
04-13-2006, 05:58
How long should it take to go from harpers ferry to Daleville Va via skyland drive and the Blue ridge parkway? No rush just hoping for a relaxing drive to Trail days.

thanks

James Fetter
04-13-2006, 07:57
Robert - It is 294 miles of AT. Driving miles on highway will be comparable, but probably less and easier. - Good luck. jnf

astrogirl
04-13-2006, 12:43
Skyline will be ungodly slow in mid May because the park will be full of tourists and all the attractions are open after May 15. The speed limit is 25 miles per hour, 35 max, for 100 miles. Tourists stop randomly to look at deer, something we see everywhere.

You can make good progress on the BRP though.

jaywalke
04-13-2006, 15:20
Skyline will be ungodly slow in mid May because the park will be full of tourists and all the attractions are open after May 15. The speed limit is 25 miles per hour, 35 max, for 100 miles. Tourists stop randomly to look at deer, something we see everywhere.

You can make good progress on the BRP though.

Don't forget that the speed limit on the BRP is 45 tops. You can fly through there if you want (and the rangers don't get you), but why would you want to? If you want to speed, take I-81.

Skyline
04-13-2006, 15:28
Don't forget that the speed limit on the BRP is 45 tops. You can fly through there if you want (and the rangers don't get you), but why would you want to? If you want to speed, take I-81.

The speed limit on Skyline Drive is 35mph, on the BRP it's 45mph. The rangers will usually cut you a 5mph break but after that it's ticket-time.

On weekends if the weather is nice the most popular parts--but not all parts--of both scenic roads get somewhat busy by mid-May. But if you're driving down to TD on a weekday I wouldn't expect to get delayed by that much traffic.

The busiest time of the year on both roads is actually in October when the leaves change. The thing that might slow you down in May or anytime really, though, is fog should the Weather Gods decide not to cooperate with your trip.