PDA

View Full Version : Burn Bans in Pennsylvania

Green Bean
04-13-2006, 10:16
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=613 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2 height=165>PA county burbans are in effect.

Adams - No Burning
Cumberland - No burning
Franklin - No burning
Jefferson - No burnin
Lancaster - No burning
Monroe - No burning
Northumberland - No burning
Pike - No Burning - Ban will go into effect April 14
Susquehanna - No burning
York - No burning
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Green Bean
04-13-2006, 10:18
PA county BURN BANS* are in effect

starvingmusician
04-13-2006, 11:35
Here's an URL to check for current PA state bans:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/ffp/burnbans.aspx

Hope this will be useful.

Judy

rhjanes
04-13-2006, 11:37
Texas, the whole state!!! And poor west coast is drowning.

saimyoji
04-13-2006, 11:45
I caught about ten seconds of the news the other day that mentioned a fire in NJ. Was this anywhere close to the AT corridor? They mentioned that it was local residents burning things in their backyard that started it, and that they would be fined.

Just to clarify....gas/alcohol stoves are not considered open fires, right?

starvingmusician
04-13-2006, 12:24
Not usually considered an open fire -- correct.

From the Pa DCNR's Forestry page:

"Can I start a campfire in the woods all year round?

Small campfires are permitted only where adequate precautions are taken to prevent the spread of fire into the forest. All other fires are prohibited. Campfires shall be attended at all times.

Open fires are prohibited when the forest-fire danger is determined by the District Forester to be High, Very High or Extreme and from March 1 through May 25 and from October 1 through December 1 without authorization from the District Forester or a designee. This prohibition does not apply to small self-contained camp stoves when used in a safe manner. (emphasis added)

A person causing a wildfire, in addition to possible criminal penalty, is liable for all damages, costs of extinction and fines."

Judy

SGTdirtman
04-13-2006, 12:29
I caught about ten seconds of the news the other day that mentioned a fire in NJ. Was this anywhere close to the AT corridor? They mentioned that it was local residents burning things in their backyard that started it, and that they would be fined.

It was in the pines barrens not even close to the AT

HIKER7s
04-13-2006, 12:59
[quote=saimyoji]I caught about ten seconds of the news the other day that mentioned a fire in NJ. Was this anywhere close to the AT corridor?

There was also another one the other day along the Delaware River In NJ in the wetlands

Lion King
04-13-2006, 13:03
For a second there, I thought AT hiker 'Burn' wouldnt be able to hike in PA anymore...

Im glad its raining out West, that will hellp the PCT a little, but the snowfall is out of hand.
Big storms coming this hurricane season...big ones. When the weatehr is screwy like this on the East and everything is dry, the hurricnae season always gets bad.

NY and PA have always been dry in the late summer for me, even in wet years.

Thank god for trail angels with Gallon jugs of water.

Blue Jay
04-13-2006, 17:53
For a second there, I thought AT hiker 'Burn' wouldnt be able to hike in PA anymore...

So did I. I'm sure he's been thrown out of a lot of things but never a whole state.:banana

EarlyBird2007
04-17-2006, 12:50
Here's a link to a page on the State's website showing the burning bans currently in effect. They update this from time to time. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/ffp/burnbans.aspx

The AT passes throught the following PA counties where burning bans are currently in effect: Franklin, Cumberland & Monroe. I've recently hiked through most of the AT in Franklin & Cumberland counties. Trust me, it is tinder dry out there. Please be very careful.