PDA

View Full Version : Platypus Big Zip II vs. Camelbak Omega Resevior

Hanger
04-13-2006, 13:46
I going to be purchasing a bladder soon and the Platypus Big Zip II and the Camelbak Omega Resevior. Here's what I know so far:

Platypus Big Zip II

- 4 oz.
- Easy to Clean
- Cheaper
- I don't know if it has a bitevalve lock

Camelbak Omega Resevior

- ~6.3 oz.
- Anti-bacteria coating
- More expensive
- Easy to clean
- Bite valve lock

What I really want to know is how well they hold up. I've heard bad reviews for both, but also some good ones. Thanks for the help!

hikerjohnd
04-13-2006, 13:53
I use a camelbak and have had only 1 leak - where the hose connects to the bladder. Luckily it was discovered when the bladder was out of the pack so no problem - I pushed the hose back on and everything was fine. The big zip scares me - I know too many zip bags that leak around the corners of the zippers...

Good luck with either! Happy hiking!

Footslogger
04-13-2006, 13:59
I have a couple of the Big Zip Platy's and went back to the regular screw top Platy model. They work but you have to really put some elbow grease into sealing that zip or the sucker will leak. Only way I ever got them to stay closed was to apply pressure to both sides of the zip and then bend it back and forth all the way up and down the line.

I still use the Big Zips but only for gathering water at night in the campsite.

'Slogger

Creaky
04-13-2006, 18:04
I don't know if this is generally true or true only of my personal Big Zip: the container is great, and I appreciate the zip access, but the bite valve...bites. I replaced it with a Camelback bite valve, which is excellent. You can buy them separately, in right-angle or straight versions.

Footslogger
04-13-2006, 18:05
[quote=Creaky]I don't know if this is generally true or true only of my personal Big Zip: the container is great, and I appreciate the zip access, but the bite valve...bites. I replaced it with a Camelback bite valve, which is excellent.
===================================
Couldn't agree with you more on that. I go one step further and replace the clear Platy hose with the blue camelback one. Works better with the mouthpieces.

'Slogger