PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Water Gap

SGTdirtman
04-13-2006, 20:47
Does anyone know which trail off the AT in NJ goes to the overlook of the deleware water gap?

there is 4 different trails listed on my map but dont know which one goes to the scenic overlook of the water gap.

Askus3
04-13-2006, 21:09
Right after you go under the INT 80 underpass instead of following the white blazes to the left, go to the right. There is a parking lot just off the westbound INT 80 ramp there. Follow the red blzes into the woods and up Mt. Tammany. The Mt. Tammany Trail takes you up to a beautiful outlook of the Gap and Mt. Minsi across the Delaware on the AT in PA.

SGTdirtman
04-13-2006, 23:03
thanks, im heading south though. Does the trail loop or do I have to backtrack once I hit I-80?

Askus3
04-14-2006, 08:33
Going south on the AT, as you approach Sunfish Pond, make a right along the north shore of the lake following the Turquoise trail. This will take you up the ridge of Mt. Tammany. There are a couple of tricky turns especially pay attention to the turn off the Sunfish Pond Fire Road. When you gain the ridge, you will intersect the blue marked Mt. Tammany Fire Road and you can follow it south about four miles to the summit and viewpoint from Mt. Tammany of the Delaware Water Gap. Then descend the red marked Mt. Tammany Trail one mile to INT 80. This alternate route is approximately 6 miles VS. the AT from the junction with the Turquoise Trail to INT 80 of 4.4 miles. The views from the red dot Mt. Tammany Trail are spectacular.

saimyoji
04-14-2006, 13:38
For a more challenging hike try this (it'll make it very worthwhile): Hike south on the AT to Sunfish Pond. Here you have two choices:

1. continue on the AT to the parking lot. Walk to the entrance of the parking lot at I-80, stay to the left. You'll see the red dot trail goes straight up. There are some great views as you hike up. Make sure to explore as you go.

2. At the southern end of SFP head off to the left and up the mountain a little. You'll notice the Dunnfield Creek trail. Follow this up a short ways, then down into the notch and along the creek. There are always deer/bear here in the spring. Watch out as the trail was washed out last fall in many places. Like I said, its a challenge. When you get to the juction with the blue trail, take left up to the ridge and then turn right towards the summit. Then take the red dot down.

You seem to have the right maps, just make a decision on distance and difficulty. Taking the fire road from N.SFP is definately the quicker/easyier route. Just depends on what you want to see/do.

Advice: If you walk the fire trail, watch out for the turkey vultures. They nest in the trees there and often like to swoop low to the trail. I had 5 divebombing me one day.

SGTdirtman
04-14-2006, 15:00
My hike coming up is ending at I-80, but im staying at the backpacker site the last day which is only like 2-3 miles from the road where I'm leaving from. So on the last day I wanted to explore since I'll have nothing to do untill 6pm when my ride shows up. I really cant take dunfeild creek trail because ill be past sunfish pond the last day

Askus3
04-14-2006, 15:40
So from the backpackers campsite, you retrace your steps to Sunfish Pond, then bear right along the Sunfish Pond fire road north (eastside of the pond)to the Turquoise Trail (make a right). Then you have the 6 mile hike as stated in post #4.

Tin Man
04-14-2006, 15:51
The views from Mt. Tammany are spectacular. I led a boy scout hike there 2 weeks ago and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. We took the red dot trail from the parking lot up to the summit, pausing for pictures at the many excellent viewpoints on the way up. We followed the blue dot trail down the side and followed the AT back to the parking lot for a nice 2.5 to 3 mile loop.