PDA

View Full Version : Thru hikers down from 05?

Farmer
04-14-2006, 08:10
After a hike yesterday I stopped by Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap. I asked one of the store employees to compare number of thru hikers this year to last year. He had no numbers, but said definitely down from last year. He wasn't sure why.

hikerjohnd
04-14-2006, 08:31
the Bryson movie will come out and numbers will rise again...

RITBlake
04-14-2006, 08:50
the Bryson movie will come out and numbers will rise again...

if or when it does (which it wont) it wont change a thing. There will be a surge of people in the first 100 miles but the good old AT will do its job and the level of attrition will remain steady. bring on the yuppies.

colbys
04-14-2006, 10:19
yes in the past i would have disagreed with only first 100 miles of at being attacked by people watching brysons movie,but the natural attrition of the AT will take affect and kick peoples asses,once the yuppie tries to climb kelly knob,hell go back to his fantasy world..

Footslogger
04-14-2006, 10:29
After a hike yesterday I stopped by Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap. I asked one of the store employees to compare number of thru hikers this year to last year. He had no numbers, but said definitely down from last year. He wasn't sure why.
==================================
In some ways that's a good thing ...

'Slogger

Whiz Kid
04-14-2006, 10:35
Don't forget the uncivilized and mislead south-bounders!
Whiz Kid 04

Blue Jay
04-14-2006, 12:11

Every year we get these same BS reports. If they are even remotely true, we would be down to minus three thrus this year. People would be starting at Springer and heading to Florida.

bulldog49
04-14-2006, 12:39
==================================
In some ways that's a good thing ...

'Slogger

I would say in all ways that's a good thing.

I've looked at some of the pictures of hikers who began their trip within the past 4 weeks and the shelters and campsites are packed with people. Sorry, but those sorts of crowded situations are the exact things I'm trying to get away from when I go out into the woods. It's like the AT becomes a theme park during the "thru season".

I've dreamed of doing an AT thru hike for years, but as crowded and commercialized as the trail has become I'm thinking more of the PCT or even the CDT, where there is more of a sense of wilderness and adventure.

Peaks
04-14-2006, 16:40
I've dreamed of doing an AT thru hike for years, but as crowded and commercialized as the trail has become I'm thinking more of the PCT or even the CDT, where there is more of a sense of wilderness and adventure.

Most NOBO's start between March 15 and April 15. As long as you don't start during that period, the most crowds you will see will be weekenders. I started April 20, and shared a shelter the first night with one other hiker. Can't complain about that.

bulldog49
04-14-2006, 17:27
I do all my AT section hiking in the winter and you are correct, the trail is not very crowded at that time. I figure if I do decide on the AT, I will either start NOBO right after Xmas, or do a SOBO beginning in Sept.

I believe in HYOH but don't understand why anyone would enjoy being part of a herd for 5 months. :confused:

MOWGLI
04-14-2006, 18:22
I was talking to someone yesterday who is in a very unique position to understand visitation. He was telling me that the NPS is going to conduct a survey to try and determine visitation numbers. The 3-4 million number that is regularly bandied about (and I'm guilty of that) could very well prove wildly inaccurate. Time will tell.

But yes, Georgia in the summer can be very uncrowded. So can the Smokies for that matter. New York in the winter could be desolate. In many areas of New York you'd be more likely to bump into a hunter than a hiker.

snowhoe
04-14-2006, 18:41
Its all the hammack hangers and the people who make homemade stoves fault... and also the people who dont filter water.