PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile Wilderness, How can I get back?

abales01
04-14-2006, 15:34
Hello fellow hikers...I'm planning to hike Maine's 100 mile wilderness in late July or early August, and being that I'll be driving from Indiana, I'm unsure where I can park and how I can make it back to my car. A shuttle would be nice if anyone has heard of such a thing for that area. Otherwise I'm stumped. Any suggestions? I'm hiking South to North. Thanks a lot.

Alex

Peaks
04-14-2006, 16:21
The old Shaws used to do shuttles. Maybe the new Shaws will do it also. Why not check in with them?

abales01
04-14-2006, 17:21
ah yes, the Shaw's of Monson. I've heard of them, but did not know they did shuttles.....any contact information? Thanks

Shutterbug
04-14-2006, 18:03
Hello fellow hikers...I'm planning to hike Maine's 100 mile wilderness in late July or early August, and being that I'll be driving from Indiana, I'm unsure where I can park and how I can make it back to my car. A shuttle would be nice if anyone has heard of such a thing for that area. Otherwise I'm stumped. Any suggestions? I'm hiking South to North. Thanks a lot.

Alex

If the new Shaw's isn't available, Minuteman Taxi out of Millinocket will drive you back to Monson.

Minuteman Taxi -- 207-723-2000

It you want to get a feel for the 100 mile wilderness, check out my album -- http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html

Tramper Al
04-14-2006, 23:28
When I hiked to 100 Mile last year, I parked at Abol Bridge (free) for the duration. With one other section hiker, I taxied ($20) via Minuteman down to Katadin Air Service about half way into Millinocket on the Golden Road. From there we flew by float plane down to Monson and began the 100 Mile hike.

We chose this approach because the float plane turned out to be less expensive ($85 each) than we would have guessed, particularly when compared to the other alternative, a shuttle by road. And of course flying from just outside of Baxter all the way down over the trail to Monson was just amazing. It made it feel like a bit more like 'Wilderness' to be flown out 100 miles and dropped at a small pond to hike. A little bit of an indulgence, maybe, but totally worth it.

hikerjohnd
04-15-2006, 09:03
When I hiked to 100 Mile last year, I parked at Abol Bridge (free) for the duration. With one other section hiker, I taxied ($20) via Minuteman down to Katadin Air Service about half way into Millinocket on the Golden Road. From there we flew by float plane down to Monson and began the 100 Mile hike.

We chose this approach because the float plane turned out to be less expensive ($85 each) than we would have guessed, particularly when compared to the other alternative, a shuttle by road. And of course flying from just outside of Baxter all the way down over the trail to Monson was just amazing. It made it feel like a bit more like 'Wilderness' to be flown out 100 miles and dropped at a small pond to hike. A little bit of an indulgence, maybe, but totally worth it.

Now that sounds awesome! I was thinking of this same trip so maybe I'll try this route for getting there!

Kerosene
04-15-2006, 09:32
Wow, that's a great option! I can't wait to get up there to do that section.

abales01
04-17-2006, 15:29
Shutterbug.....Great pics, I can't wait to see the real thing! It looks splendid. How much was your stay at the White House Landing and did you camp outside? I'd like to go all the way up Katahdin, instead of ending at abol bridge....The walk up Katahdin looks too good to pass up. Thanks for the advice everyone

Shutterbug
04-17-2006, 17:27
Shutterbug.....Great pics, I can't wait to see the real thing! It looks splendid. How much was your stay at the White House Landing and did you camp outside? I'd like to go all the way up Katahdin, instead of ending at abol bridge....The walk up Katahdin looks too good to pass up. Thanks for the advice everyone

My stay at White House Landing wasn't typical. The remains of a hurricane were passing through Maine. Since I wasn't under any time pressure, I decided to sit the hurricane out at White House Landing. I stayed there for three nights in one of their private rooms. With three nights lodging, all of my meals and a generous tip I spent around $250. For those on a tight budget, one can sleep in the bunk house or pitch a tent. Don't skip their famous hamburger.

One thing you can't tell from the pictures was that I went to the WhiteBlaze Feed at Carratunk a couple of days before I started hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness southbound. So, I met many of the thru hikers at Carratunk, then again as we passed on the trail or at White House Landing.

Tramper Al
04-17-2006, 19:34
I'd like to go all the way up Katahdin, instead of ending at abol bridge....The walk up Katahdin looks too good to pass up.
It certainly is! My 100 Mile section hike was followed by a day off and then the climb up Katahdin. You may already know this, but Abol Bridge parking will work for that too. As a 100-Miler, you'd be eligible for 1 night at the Birches, and you can easily loop back to your car on summit day.

abales01
04-18-2006, 20:26
We're pretty intermediate hikers, so this section could take us the full 10 days. With Katahdin in mind, it could be 12. That's a lot of food to carry considering I haven't heard of any mail drops in the 100 mile wilderness.

Maybe I could park at Abol Bridge, get shuttled back to Monson, Hike to abol bridge, rest for a day, and hike Katahdin in the morning, looping back to my car.
The 5 miles from Katahdin Stream Campground to summit seem pretty intense from the map's persepective. Once you reach summit, youve got to hike back down, right? That would be a long 10 miles, plus 9 miles from Abol Bridge to K.S. campground. How do yall do it? haha Thanks a lot
Also, there is a side trail, Blueberry ledges that knocks off a few miles from abol bridge to the Birches (4.4 vs. 9.8 miles) Maybe I could us this one way, or both. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Shutterbug
04-19-2006, 01:40
I haven't heard of any mail drops in the 100 mile wilderness...

There are no mail drops, but someone posted here a few weeks ago that they would be willing to help with resupply in the 100 mile wilderness. There are several places that resupply is practical if you have someone meet you with your resupply.

Also, Whitehouse Landing keeps a stock of resupply items.

abales01
04-19-2006, 08:28
That would be great

Trail Dog
04-19-2006, 09:09
-----walk-----

abales01
04-19-2006, 14:10
is there any way to make Katahdin a day hike after the 100 mile wilderness? My car will be parked at Abol Bridge.

Shutterbug
04-19-2006, 20:09
is there any way to make Katahdin a day hike after the 100 mile wilderness? My car will be parked at Abol Bridge.

Assuming that you want to follow the white blazes up the mountain, get a reservation for the Katahdin Streams Camp Ground. That is the trail head for the Hunt Trail which is the official route of the AT. It took me about six hours to reach the peak. Thru Hikers make it to the top from Katahdin Streams Camp Ground in three to four hours. The trip back down isn't a lot faster. It took me almost five hours, but I was in no hurry. I spent an hour on top, so the entire trip took from 7 a.m. until after 6 p.m.

The hike from Abol Bridge to Katahdin Streams Camp Ground is well worth the hike, but I would save it for another day. There is a good probibility that you will see a moose along the way.

TJ aka Teej
04-19-2006, 22:04
WBer Boarstone helps with caches in the 100 Mile. See the Southbounder forum or the ATC's Companion Updates page. To day hike Katahdin, drive into the Park and head up from KSC. Only the fittest of hikers in the best weather conditions should attempt a single day round trip from Abol Bridge. You'll have to start before sun-up, and you'll end up night hiking back to AB, it is a long hard haul. Don't stealth camp - you'll be caught and thrown out, and will only cause ill will toward the hikers that will follow you to Baxter Park in the future.

Tramper Al
04-20-2006, 08:43
The 5 miles from Katahdin Stream Campground to summit seem pretty intense from the map's persepective. Once you reach summit, youve got to hike back down, right? That would be a long 10 miles, plus 9 miles from Abol Bridge to K.S. campground. How do yall do it? haha Thanks a lot.
Hey abales01,
I think my suggestion on this was missed, so let me try again. Note that I did exactly as you plan and had my car (with more food) parked at Abol Bridge when I walked out of the 100 Mile. From here you have a couple of choices, other that trying to hike the whole way RT from Abol Bridge, which is not necessary.

1. As I suggested above, you as 100 Mile Wilderness sectioneer have qualified yourself for a 1 night stay at the Birches. So, coming out at Abol Bridge in the morning, you can pick-up whatever new stuff you need from your car (food, daypack, dry footwear) and leave there what you don't need. Just up the trail, you will sign up for the Birches (and know if you have a spot). Then you continue up the AT route to the Birches, just near Katahdin Stream campground. In the morning - leave your overnight gear on the ranger's porch at KS - you can climb the AT to summit and return via the Hunt. Now back at the Birches, yes, your easiest walk back to Abol Bridge is via the Blueberry Ledges. Add up those miles, and I think you'll find it quite moderate for someone who has just survoved the 100 Mile.

2. A minor variation on the above plan works best if you can accurately predict your pace in the 100 Mile, and this is what i did. You can make advanced reservations for a lean-to at Katahdin Stream CG, on the AT. You might even want to give yourself more than 1 night there. Again, when you emerge at Abol Bridge, consider that you have 2 day hikes to do. One is the Abol Br-AT-KS-Blueberry-Abol Br loop, the other is the Hunt Trail to and from the summit from KS. Your camping reservation allows you to drive in to the park anytime diuring the day. So, depending on how the timing went, you coiuld mover your car from Abol Bridge to your lean-to at KS either a) before hiking the AT-Blueberry loop, b) after the loop but before summit day, or c) not at all. If you come out at Abol Bridge a day earlier then planned, as I did, you can switch to plan #1, camp cheap at Abol Bridge, or take a day off in Millinocket (you have your car, remember), before climbing the mountain.

Does this all make sense?

abales01
04-20-2006, 09:22
I'm a little confused, but let me see if I can make sense of it all...........

1. hike from abol bridge, camping at the birches. In the morning set out for summit (hunt trail) returning on the blueberry ledges, for a total of maybe 15 miles. Correct? Isn't the climb to summit and back down somewhat excruciating?

2. Make a reservation and stay at Katahdin Stream Campground, drive there, and day hike up and down Katahdin? I don't understand the loop hike using the blueberry trail and where that comes in. I figure parking at Baxter and making a day hike would work best

Tramper Al
04-20-2006, 10:27
I'm a little confused, but let me see if I can make sense of it all...........

1. hike from abol bridge, camping at the birches. In the morning set out for summit (hunt trail) returning on the blueberry ledges, for a total of maybe 15 miles. Correct? Isn't the climb to summit and back down somewhat excruciating?

Well, yes, it is certainly a tougher 15 miles than any 15 miles in the 100 Mile Wilderness, though you will have given up that heavy 100 Mile pack, yes? The tough part is the RT from KS to summit, but you can always get an early start and take your time on it. Removing the Blueberry Ledges return from summit day would make for an easier day, but not by a whole lot. An alternative exists, if you can get a ride along the tote road from Katahdin Stream to the Abol Pond picnic area, then all you have left is a level walk of about a mile back to Abol Bridge parking. Be sure you have a map before you try this late in the day.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=19&X=629&Y=6345&W=3&qs=%7cmillinocket%7cme%7c

2. Make a reservation and stay at Katahdin Stream Campground, drive there, and day hike up and down Katahdin? I don't understand the loop hike using the blueberry trail and where that comes in. I figure parking at Baxter and making a day hike would work best

I really think this is the best alternative, if you can predict your arrival day, and if you don't mind paying a bit more for your Baxter accomodations. Know that these typically need to be booked well (months) in advance. Unless you are in a hurry to get home, when you get to Baxter you will realize that it is a fantastic place to spend a little extra time. Making your base at KS would make for the shortest possible summit day hike. When I mentioned the Blueberry Ledge loop in this context, I was assuming that you would not wish to skip the 7 or so (very nice) AT miles between Abol Bridge and Katahdin Stream CG. Hiking NOBO on AT and returning via Blueberry Ledges is a nice half day outing, depending.

Skyline
04-20-2006, 10:33
Here's how several section hikers I know have done it.

1) Park at Jo-Mary Campground, accessible part way thru the 100 Mile. Have your resupply for north of there IN that vehicle.

2) Get a shuttle from Jo-Mary to Monson, packing what you need to get from Monson to Jo Mary.

3) When you get to Jo-Mary Road, hitch to the campground, spend a night (or more), shower, eat well, resupply from your vehicle.

4) Drive to Abol Bridge Campground, park nearby (free parking right down the road). Have your resupply for north of there in your vehicle. While there, reserve a campsite for your anticipated arrival date back at Abol.

5) Shuttle back from Abol to Jo-Mary Road.

6) Hike to Abol Bridge from Jo-Mary Road, spend a night, clean up, resupply from your vehicle. If you are sure you're entering Baxter the next day, hike a half-mile or so north before going to sleep and put your name on the list for The Birches next day--sign-up sheet located at the info kiosk right on the AT near the Baxter SP boundary. (Max 12 allowed per night at The Birches, so signing up early is advised.)

7) Next day, hike Abol to The Birches via the AT, signing in at Katahdin Stream CG office enroute. Spend the night there.

8) Get up EARLY, hike to Baxter Peak and back, then take the Blueberry Ledges Trail back to Abol (half the mileage as the AT).

9) Upon arrival back at Abol, you have options. If there is space available you could stay at Abol Bridge Campground again. If not, there is another more primitive place to camp down the road. OR, you'll have your vehicle parked nearby and you can drive anywhere you want.

Only foreseeable snafu with this plan is, of course, weather. You may need to stay more than one night at Abol the first time. Baxter SP only lets you stay one night at The Birches, weather issues be damned. It is tough to get "regular" accommodations at Katahdin Stream CG without reservations FAR in advance. So you want to make sure (well, as sure as weather forecasts can be) that one night at The Birches precedes good weather the next day for your summit. If Abol is booked up on a second or third night, you could try other camping nearby or since you'll have a vehicle there you can drive anywhere within reasonable distance to get you back early enough to Abol whichever day you want to hike into Baxter. NOTE: The hike between Abol and Katahdin Stream CG is mostly very easy.

This involves a lot of driving and potentially expensive shuttles. It is anything but a straight shot driving between your three points (Monson>Jo-Mary>Abol). For your shuttle between Abol back to Jo-Mary, definitely compare on-ground shuttles to the air taxi. I've heard it is less expensive.

If you are fortunate enough to have two vehicles, you can shuttle yourselves, tho be prepared for hours of rural Maine driving x 2.

Tramper Al
04-20-2006, 11:05
Skyline has some good ideas too. I also wanted a mid-100 Mile resupply, but I didn't want to detour off trail to Jo-Mary campground or White House Landing, so I did it a little differently.

On the day I drove up to Millinocket, I drove in via logging road to one of the few AT road crossings within the 100 Miles; mine was about 59 trail NOBO miles in. There I left a hidden food cache, protected within a bear canister. On my hike, I resupplied myself there and retrieved the cannister by car on my way home after the hike. I you have others you are traveling with, the food cache idea is even more efficient because you can share the task of drop off / pickup and the canister. Using the food cache, I was able to carry less than half the food weight for the first 59 miles than I would have otherwise. I also took only what I thought I would need from the cache forward, now better knowing my pace.

I imagine that one single shuttle from Abol Bridge to Monson would be a good bit cheaper than two shuttles, each roughly half way (plus the miles to get in and out). I also would not have wanted to leave the trail with the 100 Mile and drive my car, but that's more of a personal HYOH preference.

Skyline
04-20-2006, 12:04
Skyline has some good ideas too. I also wanted a mid-100 Mile resupply, but I didn't want to detour off trail to Jo-Mary campground or White House Landing, so I did it a little differently.

On the day I drove up to Millinocket, I drove in via logging road to one of the few AT road crossings within the 100 Miles; mine was about 59 trail NOBO miles in. There I left a hidden food cache, protected within a bear canister. On my hike, I resupplied myself there and retrieved the cannister by car on my way home after the hike. I you have others you are traveling with, the food cache idea is even more efficient because you can share the task of drop off / pickup and the canister. Using the food cache, I was able to carry less than half the food weight for the first 59 miles than I would have otherwise. I also took only what I thought I would need from the cache forward, now better knowing my pace.

I imagine that one single shuttle from Abol Bridge to Monson would be a good bit cheaper than two shuttles, each roughly half way (plus the miles to get in and out). I also would not have wanted to leave the trail with the 100 Mile and drive my car, but that's more of a personal HYOH preference.

I was recounting how others I know did it, but your idea could work well also if they simply drove in to Jo-Mary CG a day before starting to hike, left a resupply box with them (assuming they allow that--definitely verify), then when they got to Jo-Mary Rd. they hitched into the CG to spend the night and resupply. Then, put the vehicle (with resupply for north of Abol) at Abol Bridge CG, and shuttle back to Monson to start hiking.

Yeah, that's much simpler actually. As is your idea (tho with this you wouldn't have to detour to retrieve the bear cannister after the hike).

abales01
04-20-2006, 16:55
Yes I heard those 7 miles are well worth it. I'll have to consider my options, as the 100 mile wilderness might chew me up and spit me right back out in Monson. We'll see though, I handled the smokies area pretty well, and my gear this year is mucho better. Thank you everyone for all you input. You're all too generous.

Askus3
04-20-2006, 22:12
I have been working feverishly to fill in a chart of road access points and add my slackpacking/car shuttling experience to it. You might find this chart quite valuable for Maine. See http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/. Section 1-3. I think I have put alot of good info there.

Shutterbug
04-20-2006, 23:18
I have been working feverishly to fill in a chart of road access points and add my slackpacking/car shuttling experience to it. You might find this chart quite valuable for Maine. See http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/. Section 1-3. I think I have put alot of good info there.

Thanks for the link. There is a lot of useful information there.

mrcatpaws
07-10-2011, 22:42
It's been five years since there was an update on this thread, but I'm seeking some advice related to getting from point A to point B in the HMW. I'm planning on flying into Bangor in late August to do the HMW. Any suggestions on how to get from Bangor airport to Monson? And then, any suggestion on how to get from Baxter to Bangor airport?

d.o.c
07-11-2011, 07:24
shws alowd me keep my jeep there for a week or so i think i payd a dollar a night i was on trail.

d.o.c
07-11-2011, 07:25
drive, hitch or get a shuttle..

Sly
07-11-2011, 08:20
It you want to get a feel for the 100 mile wilderness, check out my album -- http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html

Page cannot be found...

dillard
07-11-2011, 09:54
Page cannot be found...

5 year old posts come with some hazards. :D

The Edge
07-29-2011, 13:02
take up Dawn from Shaws up on a shuttle. She goes everywhere around the whole state of maine.... and even NH.

Saint Alfonzo
07-29-2011, 21:11
Hello, mrcatpaws, How are You?? I can help You get to Monson. Send me a P.M. and ck. out my profile. You take care. MIKE..