PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands into Trail Days

attroll
04-15-2006, 16:20
I am hoping to arrive in Damascus by car on Monday 15 May and hike from somewhere in the Grayson Highlands area into Damascus for Trail Days. I would like to make it into Damascus sometime by Friday afternoon.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start at in the Highlands? We do not want to do big mile days. We want to do and nice hike and enjoy the views and have a good time. We are open to suggestions on this.

Anybody that wants to join us is more then welcome to come along too.

Lion King
04-15-2006, 20:58
Absolutely.

Hitch over to Troutdale on...58 I think, you would have to ask Wolf, but I think its 58.
Start at that trail head that leads to (North would take you to Hurricane Shelter, SOuth will lead to Old Orchard Shelter (go South), then you are in the highlands for a couple of days, spend one night on White Cap if it is nice, hike the Creeper back in...yeah.

Have fun!

Wish you the best.
LK

Lone Wolf
04-16-2006, 07:27
I can drop you off at Va. 603 Tuesday morning and you hike 10 mile days back to Damascus. It's 40.7 miles.

StarLyte
04-16-2006, 08:28
I am hoping to arrive in Damascus by car on Monday 15 May and hike from somewhere in the Grayson Highlands area into Damascus for Trail Days. I would like to make it into Damascus sometime by Friday afternoon.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start at in the Highlands? We do not want to do big mile days. We want to do and nice hike and enjoy the views and have a good time. We are open to suggestions on this.

Anybody that wants to join us is more then welcome to come along too.

I did this hike in '04 prior to TD and had a blast! You are going to have a great hike :banana

Skyline
04-16-2006, 10:27
I'm planning to hike into TD also, probably starting Monday or Tuesday. Precise plans are incomplete (a friend may want to hike in from Tennessee, tho I favor hiking in from the north). When the weather's right, the first 2-1/2 days of this hike (from the north) are the best on the AT.

If I win this impasse we may see y'all out there, tho we won't be staying at shelters. There are some GREAT places to camp between Fox Creek (VA603) and Damascus that are near water and don't have anything to do with shelters.