PDA

View Full Version : Big wind made me about sea sick..

ncmtns
04-15-2006, 17:51
Was up in Shining Rock in NC deep in some balsams with a grand view when late in the night the wind came in plenty strong. My tarp was a flappin, the trees I were tied to were a rockin and I was swinging every which way. I hate to say it, but I was wishing for my tent so I could at least heat up some coffee and enjoy the views without my propane stove blowing out. Sure, I could have moved, but the magic of the morning would have left. Anyone else experience this?:(

SteveJ
04-15-2006, 23:27
Was up in Shining Rock in NC deep in some balsams with a grand view when late in the night the wind came in plenty strong. My tarp was a flappin, the trees I were tied to were a rockin and I was swinging every which way. I hate to say it, but I was wishing for my tent so I could at least heat up some coffee and enjoy the views without my propane stove blowing out. Sure, I could have moved, but the magic of the morning would have left. Anyone else experience this?:(

Hi, nc. I've hammocked in Shining Rock quite a few times - once I had to take my tarp down the wind was so strong (before I started hanging separately from the HH ridge line). It's never been so strong that I didn't enjoy hanging, tho!

Rifleman
04-16-2006, 23:41
Where were you pitched? Top of the ridge, west side? Sounds as if you had a front that came through. What was the forecast? I've found that some times there can be some trade-offs on where I want to pitch the HH. The Shining Rock Ledge is pretty exposed to in-coming weather from TN. Cold Mountain is aptly named.:-?
R.

saimyoji
04-17-2006, 00:49
My uncle once sent big wind our way...cleared our sinuses and the camp site. Recommend not camp near big wind uncle who eat baked beans for dinner.

rainmaker
04-17-2006, 22:16
Fantastic, awesome, and deafening wind is the norm any time a major front moves through the area. Love it. To gain some protection and options we usually pitch our tent on Flower Knob, just down from Shining Rock Gap. Now if you really enjoy windy weather head over to the Middle Prong Wilderness Area . You'll hear it first as it builds in the valley and then roars louder and louder until like a dozen high speed locomotives it will break over the peaks. Excuse me , I have to go pack now.

ncmtns
04-18-2006, 19:02
SR is my fav place in the east. Ive got some pretty cool stealth camps with springs nearby that no one knows about. (works only with a hammock) I have yet to do Middle Prong yet. Is water available on that trail going down towards Lake Logan?

Ramble~On
04-18-2006, 22:22
ncmtns,

You wouldn't by any chance be the fellow with the beard from Brevard I was talking to in Black Balsam parking lot would you ?
I just got home about 2 hours ago...spent last night on Flower Knob in the trees on the Art Loeb side... wind was nice but not too bad.
This was the first trip I tried out my Byer hammock...weighs under a pound and is amazing...I could not get over the room, comfort and features for such a light hammock and I think it was cheap..i don't remember what I paid for it.
Anyway really nice couple days on the trail. Shining Rock and Middle Prong are regular haunts of mine ( and I know my fair share of stealth sites )
The woods were really dry...we need rain bad !!!!
I ended up with a sunburn from hell....the shower wasted no time of reminding me of that.
Anyway, happy trails :sun
(I'll have to post some pictures of Shining Rock)

Ramble~On
04-18-2006, 22:41
Water on trail to Lake Logan ?

That depends on which trail you are talking about.
In the Middle Prong that could only be the Green Mountain Trail and it is dry. There are small unrealiable sources off trail..as dry as it has been this year I'd bet on them being dry.
In Shining Rock Fork Mountain Trail also runs down to Lake Logan and it has water, a sweet piped spring just off a small clearing....excellent camping spot.

ncmtns
04-19-2006, 14:44
SpiritWind... Nope wasnt me but I was camped west towards Devils Court House that wknd. Im familiar with SR Fork Mtn trail. Thanx for the update on the Green Mtn trail. Ive been wanting to try it but sure hate carrying extra water. I use a Speer type hammock with the Pea Pod. Id hang it in my bedroom but the wife would stick needles under my bottom side while I was sleepin in it.

leeki pole
04-19-2006, 15:05
heh, heh....where's neo when you need him for advice? :cool:

Hana_Hanger
04-21-2006, 14:43

Yes it got to be so annoying. A gentle rock and swing I love...this was up and down and back and forth without let up.
After my little adventure on the hillside (falling) I set up camp right on the ocean side under a Hala tree. The winds were relentless and strong gusts 30 to 35 mph. I finally had to go sleep in my gear tent (Eureka! Solitare) I thought I would never get any sleep....and woke up so sore even with the pads. I will blame it on the ground hugging rather than my fall from grace!:D