PDA

View Full Version : Late NOBOs

Tommy
04-15-2006, 23:17
Any other late NOBOs worried about their plans? I knew it would be around May 1 before I left, but I'm already looking at what it would take to flipflop if I had to.

I could always do SOBO, but I've been to maine in the summer and its not something I'd want to re-visit. I am in pretty decent shape, young and have alot of backpacking experience so I'm going to go ahead and stick with my NOBO plans, but just wondering if theres any other late NOBOs out there experiencing the same.

Tommy

Rendezvous01
04-15-2006, 23:40
Tommy-
In 2001 I left Springer on April 30, and was right on track to reach Katahdin before it closed when I left the Trail in central PA August 1st. Of those around me when I headed for home, several chose to flipflop, but others went straight on and made it before Baxter closed.
I was in fair shape to start the Trail, probably significantly older than you, with only a little bit of backpacking experience. Just don't take too many zero days, stay healthy, and you'll make it to Maine just fine.

hauptman
04-16-2006, 06:37
May 1st, lucky *******!!!! I am not heading out until May 13th. Nobo!!! Trying to go between school years. Best of luck man! Have fun!!!

bigben
04-16-2006, 15:14
May see you Hauptman. I'm doing the Approach to Neel's 5/14-18.

hauptman
04-16-2006, 16:40
I did the approach trail last year during a section hike. Great veiws, but it is a ***** of a climb. Not the worst ever, but a pretty good elevation gain in very few miles. Best of luck and hope to see you on the trail. I am flying down on the 13th and setting foot on the trail the next morning. I will be staying at the hiker hostel on the 13th, where will you be that night? If you are going to stay there then I guess I will see you then.

Oscar
04-17-2006, 12:54
I will be heading up to Springer on the 29th of April. Hope to see some of you late starters out there.

Mr. K

Skyline
04-17-2006, 14:01
I've been in North GA and NC in late April/early May. There are still plenty of hikers just starting out then if my experiences have been typical.

Starting that late doesn't guarantee that you'll miss bad weather the first month, but it improves your odds. It does kinda force you to keep moving and limit zeroes, but for some hikers that can be a positive.

And, of course, you can always flip-flop somewhere like HF or DWG if rushing to Katahdin becomes too stressful. That, too, improves your good-weather odds a bit.

bigben
04-18-2006, 08:20
Yes, me and a friend will be staying at the Hiker Hostel on the 13th. They'll be picking us up at Neel's Gap after driving down from Ohio and then shuttling us to Amicalola in the morning of the 14th. See you then.

Bigben

patriciawill6
04-18-2006, 16:09
Looking for late NOBO's who would be interested in participating in a research study examining physiological adaptations to hiking the AT. Takes place at the Univeristy of Tennessee Exercise Physiology Lab. We need men ages 18-44 and women ages 18-54 who are starting a northbound thru-hike in late Spring of 2006. We are conducting physiological and performance tests before starting thru-hike, after completion of 271 miles, and after completion of thru-hike. If interested, please contact: Patricia Williams, email: [email protected]. Thank you
patricia

leeki pole
04-18-2006, 16:22
umm....what kind of stipend is involved in this study? :cool:

patriciawill6
04-18-2006, 16:40
No stipend, but you do get a free night's stay while at UT :). You do however, get a lot of information about yourself: body fat persentage, bone mineral density, peak oxygen uptake, lactate threshold, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and lipid profile.

Turtle2
04-19-2006, 15:30
Patricia, where is UT? What is the time involved for the tests?

nyushka42
04-24-2006, 02:48
Starting about May 1st (1 week, woohoo (starting to freak a bit too, not NEARLY ready)!!!).

Turtle2
04-24-2006, 14:56
Hi Oscar adn Nysushka42, I amleaving on May 1 from Springer. We are driving down on Sunday and my husband is dropping me at fs42 on Monday morning. Hope to see you on the trail.

shrimp
04-25-2006, 15:18
I'm doing a few day hike starting at the approach, going up to neel's gap, and back. I'm leaving the morning of the 28th (gosh, that's not far away!). Hopefully I can meet up with someone from here, but either way... It was cool doing a small section at the end of last year, and can't wait until I actually have the time to hike the whole thing, straight.

Long-Walk
09-28-2006, 13:52
Shrimp

How was your trip? Did you have trouble hitching a ride home? I turned around and you were gone.

I'll be back on the trail in October. Wayah Gap to Fontana Dam.

Let me know when you are making another trip.

Long-Walk

humunuku
09-28-2006, 18:49
where is UT?
UT is in Knoxville, TN....close to the smokies