PDA

View Full Version : Trailfest- Hot Springs 4/22/2006

Sly
04-16-2006, 00:53
Anyone going?

Officially only a 1 day affair and small compared to Trail Days, it still makes for an excellent excuse to get away for the weekend, get-together and talk hiking.

From what I understand, Nean will be helping with the "festivities" along with Jack Dalton, Pipsissewa `93. I'll be manning the ALDHA booth on Saturday before relaxing at the Pub. Stop and say hi and if you're new to the AT and backpacking, check out what ALDHA has to offer.

http://www.aldha.org

There's free camping at Silvermine, a FS campground just out of town and Hot Springs Campground will have reduced rates.

For more info...

http://www.hotspringsnc.org/-trailfest

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-16-2006, 21:50
We may frolick over that way and I may even try to backpack again. Are there any trails in the area that aren't too challenging? I'm training after permanently injuring my leg in a bad auto accident and it isn't up to climbing a mountain with a pack just yet.

Is Silvermine campground where most of the thru-hiker stay? Will there be enough room there for section hikers?

Marta
04-19-2006, 20:54
The SEHHA (SouthEast Hamock Hangers Association) will be relaxing in style at the commercial campground this weekend.

MedicineMan
04-19-2006, 21:26
I'll be hiking in Northern Virginia then....but would be nice to see the AT family :(

Sly
04-19-2006, 21:50
We may frolick over that way and I may even try to backpack again. Are there any trails in the area that aren't too challenging? I'm training after permanently injuring my leg in a bad auto accident and it isn't up to climbing a mountain with a pack just yet.

Is Silvermine campground where most of the thru-hiker stay? Will there be enough room there for section hikers?

Without a pack you could probably hike up to Lover's Leap Rock without too much difficulty and perhaps slack the 5 miles to the trail camp area or backpack from Max Patch into town (20 mi.) with a couple shelters along the way or Tanyard to Allen Gap (9 mi.) staying at the Spring Mnt Shelter. Probably be lots of thru-hikers though.

I think most thru-hikers will be staying in-town since it's a bit of a drive to Silvermine CG.

Nearly Normal
04-19-2006, 23:04
Last year was fun but wet then snowy.
The campground on the river is great but will fill up so call. There is a charge but very close to everything. Make a reservation if you plan to soak in the spa.
Drink a chilly one for me.
Pete

Tha Wookie
04-20-2006, 08:33
looks like fun.... good to see they are encouraging drumming. It is one of the oldest musical arts that still continues to survive, albiet not always in time!

thanks for the update, Sly....!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-20-2006, 08:45
Sly, thanks so much for the info. Sadly, it looks like we won't be able to attend. The male dino's youngest hatchling (in college) is getting a huge academic award Saturday night - involves a ceremony and banquet. I'm close enough (near Knoxville's airport) I may drive over and camp Friday night and leave early enough Saturday to turn back into a step-mommy before the yawn festivities.

StarLyte
04-20-2006, 08:55
Hey Sly that's cool you're working the ALDHA booth--don't forget to mention ALDHA's 25th anniversary DVD--a Weathercarrot masterpiece; it will be premiered at the Gathering.....:banana

I will make it a point to attend this event next year--promise! I'm going outwest in a week and then Trail Days.

Take pics will ya. Hugs to Cheryl. See you at TDs for sure.

Marsha

Lion King
04-20-2006, 12:52
Without a pack you could probably hike up to Lover's Leap Rock without too much difficulty and perhaps slack the 5 miles to the trail camp area or backpack from Max Patch into town (20 mi.) with a couple shelters along the way or Tanyard to Allen Gap (9 mi.) staying at the Spring Mnt Shelter. Probably be lots of thru-hikers though.

I think most thru-hikers will be staying in-town since it's a bit of a drive to Silvermine CG.

Thats a pretty hike.

Take the blue blaze up...snicker-haha gufaw...if you want to go vertical...thats one blue blaze I probably wont ever take again!:D
Its fun though..but seriously...straight up climbing more then anything else.

There are stealthy spots on river too if you look for them past NOC housing there in Hot Springs.

Little Frog
04-24-2006, 16:49
We enjoyed Trailfest, but to be honest, we were a little put off by what felt like a bit of price-gouging by some of the local businesses. One of the campgrounds was charging $25 per night for tent sites. That's per night, not per weekend! Seems like an awful lot for a few square feet of dirt.

In town on Friday night, the local pub we had planned to spend the evening at was charging $4 for a glass of beer, and $9 for a burger. At those prices, we didn't stay long, and ended up just eating snack food we'd brought with us for dinner, rather than paying that kind of $$ for food in town. We noticed another eatery was charging $3.50...for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Gas was $3.09/gallon at the station, 20 cents higher than anywhere else we saw that weekend (and we'd driven through 4 states to get there).

Other than that, it was fun, and the music was nice on Saturday afternoon. We did end up leaving Saturday instead of staying another night as we intended, primarily due to the high prices.

We know it wasn't the organizers/volunteers fault about the gouging, so a big "thank you" to them for all their hard work.

MOWGLI
04-24-2006, 17:10
...and the music was nice on Saturday afternoon.

This woman was amazing. http://www.elizalynn.com/

Check her out if you get a chance!

Little Frog
04-24-2006, 22:54
Based on a couple emails I've received, wanted to clarify some details about our experience at Trailfest.

The $25/night campground was the only apparent option Friday night, since the Silvermine campground touted on the trailfest website as free was in fact closed. There was a locked gate across the entrance to Silvermine, no explanation or signs explaining why, or even when it might open. Just a locked gate. It was still locked when we left mid-afternoon on Saturday. That left the $25/night campground or sleeping in our car in a parking lot. Not what we expected at all.

The pub w/the overpriced food and beverages appeared to be the only place in town open when we arrived at dusk on Friday night.

Like I said, Saturday was fun and the organizers did a great job with the music. We just felt that some of the local businesses tried to take advantage of the hikers with the steep prices. That, together with the camping fiasco, ended up making us reluctant to spend any money in Hot Springs. We had planned/hoped to make some large gear purchases at Trailfest, but just didn't have a good feeling about spending money there, so we kept our wallets closed and will do our shopping at Trail Days in Damascus.

Jack Tarlin
04-25-2006, 15:56
Sorry you had a bad weekend.

A few quick comments:

1. The Silvermine site was open.....it just wasn't opened for car traffic. It
was very easy to get there on foot and many people did so.

2. Sorry you couldn't find other places to eat as there were several other
establishments open and doing a thriving business long after dusk on
Friday. The best food and drink in town is found at the Bridge St. Cafe,
and there's a new place around the corner from the Outfitter, called
the Bright Leaf, which is very pleasant.

3. The Pub might indeed seem somewhat overpriced at first, but you didn't
mention what you were drinking. They serve several fine local micro-
brews as well as a favorite of mine, Bass Ale. $4.00 for a full pint of Bass
is not that unreasonable, especially in a town whose main industry is
sport/recreational tourism. Likewise, even pub grub like burgers or pizza
is going to be a bit pricey in a tourist town.

4. Just so it's clear, NOT every place in H.S. has crazy prices or gouges
tourists. Most of the restaurants don't; the Smoky Mountain Diner is
damned cheap, in fact; the Outfitter sells it's stuff at Manufactured
Retail prices, and so on. Anyone else on the Trail charging eight cents
an ounce for Coleman fuel?

You wanna see price gouging? Try the general store in Fontana Dam, home of the $2.69 Lipton!!

I'm sorry Little Frog evidently had a disappointing weekend, but most folks that come to Hot Springs leave feeling much better about the place; I hope she gives the town another chance sometime.

max patch
04-25-2006, 16:55
You wanna see price gouging? Try the general store in Fontana Dam, home of the $2.69 Lipton!!

No complaints about HS, nice town and I enjoyed my stay there while on my thru, but I think $3.50 for a PBJ sandwich is a heck of a lot worse than a $2.69 Liption!

Sly
04-25-2006, 17:18
IMO, Paddlers Pub has gone downhill since it 1st opened.

I ordered Buffalo Wings that was supposed to come with celery but didn't. Not a big deal but at $1 a wing they never mentioned being out and kind of flip the plate down and walked off.

After leaving a $20 and getting $3 change (which was left as a tip) I asked how much the Yuengling was and was told $4 although looking later the menu said $3.75 Yeah, I was a little miffed, Yuengling isn't imported or a fine local micro-brew and the same glass is sold for $1 or less in PA.

Later a couple people ordered the Sampler plate and just got Buffalo Wings, again without explaination beforehand. Atleast that time they adjusted the check.

MOWGLI
04-25-2006, 17:20
I said it from the stage on Saturday, and I'll say it again here on Whiteblaze. Hot Springs is my favorite trail town on the entiire AT. Period. The fact that there isn't a whole lot to it is half the charm.

Come back and visit again sometime Little Frog.

Sly
04-25-2006, 18:01
I said it from the stage on Saturday, and I'll say it again here on Whiteblaze. Hot Springs is my favorite trail town on the entiire AT. Period. The fact that there isn't a whole lot to it is half the charm.

I also think Hot Springs is a dynamite trail town. Whether it's the best of my favorite, I can't decide. To me they're all great!

Marta
04-25-2006, 20:15
[quote=Sly]... supposed to come with celery but didn't. quote]

When I was in the Pub Saturday afternoon, I was told there were no salads available. But when I ordered a veggie burger, there was lettuce and tomato on it. Apparently they were trying to stretch the supply of greens.

HS doesn't strike me as being particularly overpriced for food. It must be very tough to keep a fresh supply, without ending up wasting most of it.

Bluff Mtn. Outfitter is my favorite, bar none.

The campground is rather overpriced, but it does have a nice location there by the river. And it's not terribly hard to find another place to stay.

I'm sorry you had a bad time in Hot Springs, Little Frog. Try it again some day. Camp in the woods, eat at the Smokey Mtn. Diner, and check out the Outfitter's selection of stoves and things. Maybe it will be better next time.

max patch
04-25-2006, 21:10

Hot Springs is a great town.

But when you talk about favorites I think its hard to beat Hanover. I keep remembering Thayer Hall....

MOWGLI
04-25-2006, 21:56
Hot Springs is a great town.

But when you talk about favorites I think its hard to beat Hanover. I keep remembering Thayer Hall....

I hear ya. Apples & oranges though.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-25-2006, 22:49
I ended up not making it to Hot Springs, but I did tell a few bluegrass-loving friends about the festivial. They went and had roughly the same experience Little Frog has described - overpriced camping and seriously compromised food and service at the local eateries. They siad they will never visit Hot Springs again.

I've never been to Hot Springs, but will have to go through there eventually as part of my section hike. From what I'm hearing it sounds like it would be wise to plan to camp on the trail out of the town, eat at the Smoky Mountain Diner, maybe stop by the Outfitter and then move on down the trail instead of staying in town. Drat, I had planned to take a zero day there to soak in the springs. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_3_204.gif

Little Frog
04-25-2006, 23:16
The Silvermine site was open.....it just wasn't opened for car traffic.

Thanks for the info, Jack. We know the volunteers and everyone worked hard at Trailfest, there were a lot of good things too, like the music. And it looked like there was great free stuff for the thruhikers, like socks and cameras and stuff that were cool.

Re: camping, ya gotta admit that it might have been helpful if the fact that the road/gate to Silvermine was closed had been posted on the trailfest website. Even if we had brought our packs to walk our stuff in, in addition to the locked gate across the entrance, the information board for the campground stated that it was closed, would not open till May. Not a word about "Welcome to Trailfest, campground open to foot traffic", or it being okay to go around the gate. With the access road closed, the gate locked and the parking area outside the gate totally deserted, going around the gate and entering the campground would have felt like trespassing on clearly posted closed Forest Service land. We actually wondered if we had the date wrong, just coudn't figure how the campgound listed on the Trailfest website was closed and locked at 8 pm on the Friday night of the event. Sure didn't feel very welcoming.

And, c'mon dude, 4 bucks for a glass of Yuengling is bogus!

MOWGLI
04-25-2006, 23:21
From what I'm hearing it sounds like it would be wise to plan to camp on the trail out of the town, eat at the Smoky Mountain Diner, maybe stop by the Outfitter and then move on down the trail instead of staying in town. Drat, I had planned to take a zero day there to soak in the springs.

If you make your plans based on someone else's experience, you may end up very disappointed. Experience the town for yourself. Take a zero day there. Soak. And then make up your mind. It's a great little town.

FYI, I saw nothing but smiles on Saturday. Plus, I heard no one complaining about the $6 AYCE spagetti dinner on Friday night, and the $3 AYCE pancake breakfast on Sunday. And the food at Elmer's was awesome!

MOWGLI
04-25-2006, 23:28
And, c'mon dude, 4 bucks for a glass of Yuengling is bogus!

You're the same person that had a hissy fit about your Asolo boots even though the warranty had expired?

I don't know you from Adam, and you might be the nicest person in the entire world, but you sure seem to complain a lot.

Sly
04-26-2006, 06:20
From what I'm hearing it sounds like it would be wise to plan to camp on the trail out of the town, eat at the Smoky Mountain Diner, maybe stop by the Outfitter and then move on down the trail instead of staying in town. Drat, I had planned to take a zero day there to soak in the springs.

Why there weren't that many complaints.

It's easy enough checking out the Pub menu and asking before you order, I never thought it was necessary. As far as the campground it's $20 for camping with a car, not $25 and that included up to 2 cars and how many people. For hikers it's only $5.

As mentioned, Elmer's is one of the best places to stay on the trail and then there's the Duckett House and Cody's along with others that are very reasonible.

Little Frog
04-26-2006, 08:51
As far as the campground it's $20 for camping with a car, not $25 and that included up to 2 cars and how many people. For hikers it's only $5.

Sly, when we pulled into the Hot Springs Campground around 7 pm Friday night, the man (big dude wearing a blue shirt) at the gate/booth told us he had only 2 tent sites left and they were $25 per night. Not $20. He said nothing about # of cars or people. Just $25 a night, take it or leave it. In our opinion, it smacked of gouging to be charged fifty bucks to camp at Trailfest for the weekend.

mingo
04-26-2006, 12:05
You're the same person that had a hissy fit about your Asolo boots even though the warranty had expired?

I don't know you from Adam, and you might be the nicest person in the entire world, but you sure seem to complain a lot.

mowgli, you working for the hot springs chamber of commerce now? if somebody wants to complain about the fine merchants of hot springs engaging in a little hiker price gouging, that's his/her right. personally, i love hot springs but i'd probably steer clear of it during any kind of so-called festival

MOWGLI
04-26-2006, 12:57
mowgli, you working for the hot springs chamber of commerce now? Not yet.

if somebody wants to complain about the fine merchants of hot springs engaging in a little hiker price gouging, that's his/her right. I suppose it is.

I expressed my opinion. Am I entitled to it Mingo? Or do we have to agree on everything? Like Ridgerunners & the cost of services in Hot Springs?

I wasn't taking a cheap shot. Just making an observation. Little Frog is probably a very likable person. Most hikers are.

mingo
04-26-2006, 14:32
i'm sure little frog is happy that you think he's probably likeable.

MOWGLI
04-26-2006, 14:40
i'm sure little frog is happy that you think he's probably likeable.

Don't be a schmuck Mingo. I know it might be hard. But try anyway. :rolleyes:

mingo
04-26-2006, 14:44
still not taking a cheap shot, mowgli?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-26-2006, 16:04
I checked with my friends to see exactly what had happened since there is obviously a difference of opinion here about the town.

They were charged $25 per night at the Hot Springs Campground. They had been to the web site and were expecting $20 / night. below are the rates from the web site:
Primitive Tent Sites (no utilities, not on river, 1-2 persons, $5 each additional person. - $20.00/nightRiverside Primitive Tent Sites (no utilities, up to 4 persons, $5 each additional person. - $25.00/night <o:p></o:p>
Deluxe Riverside Tent Sites (has electric/water, 1-4 persons, each additional person $5. - $30.00/night

They ate at three restuarants in the town
Paddler's Pub (served baked potatoes that were not done, cold steaks and no salad though they were ordered)
Bridge Street Cafe (excellent food and service)
Cedrick's Deli (walked out after not being able to order in 30 minutes)
I may check with Elmer to see if he will let me stay as a section hiker. Otherwise, I'm bypassing Hot Springs. I trust my friends' judgement.

mingo
04-26-2006, 16:09
FD, you should hit hot springs at the end of your hike, grab a six-pack and soak in a hot tub. it's great.

Jack Tarlin
04-26-2006, 16:24
FD:

There are all sorts of lodging options in Hot Springs that nobody's mentioned yet, from cabins to B&B's to hostels to motels. Most of them are very nice and most of them don't care whether or not you're a thru-hiker.

If you decide to by-pass Hot Springs, that is, of course, up to you. In the process, you'll miss one of the friendliest towns on the Trail; you'll miss one of the finest Outfitters on the whole Trail; and you'll miss a place that most hikers consider one of their favorite Trail towns.

But if you do end up skipping Hot Springs, that's up to you. The town has been here since around 1790, and will no doubt get by without you.

Sly
04-26-2006, 16:32
Sly, when we pulled into the Hot Springs Campground around 7 pm Friday night, the man (big dude wearing a blue shirt) at the gate/booth told us he had only 2 tent sites left and they were $25 per night. Not $20. He said nothing about # of cars or people. Just $25 a night, take it or leave it. In our opinion, it smacked of gouging to be charged fifty bucks to camp at Trailfest for the weekend.
Fat guy with a mullet? Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it, that guy was rude!

He told me they were $20 (I saw lots of empty spaces) but reluctantly let me in on a visitor pass and I never went back. I hooked up Mala, who had camped there all week, with the "2 car per campground rule".

I also tried Silvermine CG and also thought it was closed tight, no sign, nothing and a raging stream before the locked gate to get to the CG.

Try not to let your experience get you down. Hot Springs is a great town and Saturday night at the CG was an awesome time along with the rest of the organized Trailfest program. Let me know beforehand next year and I'll point you in the right direction.

Little Frog
04-26-2006, 16:55
Fat guy with a mullet? Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it, that guy was rude!

Yeah, that's the dude. Ah well, maybe he was just overworked or something...

I also tried Silvermine CG and also thought it was closed tight, no sign, nothing and a raging stream before the locked gate to get to the CG.

Yeah, exactly what we saw. We really did question whether we had the right weekend. It was that odd, since the website cheerily touted free camping there.

Try not to let your experience get you down. Hot Springs is a great town and Saturday night at the CG was an awesome time along with the rest of the organized Trailfest program. Let me know beforehand next year and I'll point you in the right direction.
Fair enough, and thanks for the offer. BTW, was the drumming thing at the Hot Springs CG or Silvermine? The website just said at "the campground", so we weren't sure which one. Didn't matter since we left, but good info to know for the future.

Sly
04-26-2006, 17:10
Fair enough, and thanks for the offer. BTW, was the drumming thing at the Hot Springs CG or Silvermine? The website just said at "the campground", so we weren't sure which one. Didn't matter since we left, but good info to know for the future.

It was at the Hot Springs CG and it was really pretty good with three guys from Elmer's (I think) and got over at a reasonable hour. There was also a young girl singing and playing guitar, Utahsomeone. There was a campfire there Friday night too with Mala, Miss Janet and Elmer making sure we had enough wood for the weekend.

MOWGLI
04-26-2006, 17:31
It was at the Hot Springs CG and it was really pretty good with three guys from Elmer's (I think) and got over at a reasonable hour. There was also a young girl singing and playing guitar, Utahsomeone. There was a campfire there Friday night too with Mala, Miss Janet and Elmer making sure we had enough wood for the weekend.

Yeah, all the drummers were staying at Elmers. The black guy playing the djembe was from New Orleans. He was a really impressive drummer.

Utah was a really talented singer. She needed a mic though. Kinda hard to hear her over the train and the chatter.

Lilred
04-28-2007, 09:25
[I may check with Elmer to see if he will let me stay as a section hiker. Otherwise, I'm bypassing Hot Springs. I trust my friends' judgement.
[/LEFT]

I'd give it a shot FD. Elmer's was one of the nicest memories I have of my hike so far. Really a treat to share a meal with him and his crew. He takes section hikers, but may charge a little more. I remember when I stayed there he asked how far I was hiking. At the time, I was hiking from Standing Indian to Erwin and he gave me thru-hiker price.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-28-2007, 12:11
Another problem with Hot Springs Campground: Ed Speers Hammock gathering was there recently. I had two carloads of friends drive over and they were both told by the guy at the gate that no hammock gathering was on-going that weekend and they couldn't enter the campground. Both were new hammockers wanting to learn how to do the underquilts, tarps, etc. It might be a good idea to move that gathering to another city or at least another camping area in the future.

RiverWarriorPJ
04-28-2007, 12:30
Last year was fun but wet then snowy.
The campground on the river is great but will fill up so call. There is a charge but very close to everything. Make a reservation if you plan to soak in the spa.
Drink a chilly one for me.
Pete

z
There are a few CGs there....which 1 are u referring 2 Pete..??

Overpass
04-28-2007, 12:39
We noticed another eatery was charging $3.50...for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

You're kidding, right? :eek:

StarLyte
04-30-2007, 10:03
I couldn't attend this year - I'm hoping someone here is going to post photos.

peanuts
04-30-2007, 20:22
starlyte, go to hammock forums. they have pic uploaded. i am still trying to figure out my dads digi camara so i can load my pic (not very good ones):(