PDA

View Full Version : Concerns/Questions Regarding My HH ULB A-Sym

Tudor
04-16-2006, 22:35
Ok, so this weekend I FINALLY was able to hang my hammock up! I must say I enjoy hanging much more than being grounded. I am new to this, and a few concerns/questions have already approached. I found that the "Tree Huggers" that come with the ULB A-Sym are all but too small for most of the trees around my parts. I solved that by placing an order for 72" "Tree Huggers".

Another concern/question I have is about how high should I set the ridgeline/treehuggers? I set them at about head height, or 5'11". With this set up, when my weight is in the hammock, I tend to only be 7" or so off the ground! *shouldn't be due to my weight as I only weigh 170 lbs., and it's rated for 200* This is a major concern to me. I figure that I should be chair height or more above ground when fully in the hammock. What things could I be doing wrong?

When I set-up, I make the ridgeline as tight as I possibly can, so as to not have the effect above. Yet it still happens. Help!

Just Jeff
04-16-2006, 22:41
Careful on making the ridgeline as tight as you can. Cinch it down pretty good, but the ridgeline isn't designed to hold the weight that the rest of the hammock is. Once I heard a few cracks when doing that...

I think a new hammock stretches the first several times you use it. After several more nights in it, it should stop stretching and you won't have that problem. One interim solution - set it up, get in, then retie one end to take up the slack. Should help a bit. If the hammock is centered the first time, retie the foot end instead of the head end.

Or you could just put the huggers higher until it's done stretching.

Rifleman
04-16-2006, 23:06
[quote]
Another concern/question I have is about how high should I set the ridgeline/treehuggers? I set them at about head height, or 5'11". With this set up, when my weight is in the hammock, I tend to only be 7" or so off the ground! *shouldn't be due to my weight as I only weigh 170 lbs., and it's rated for 200* This is a major concern to me. I figure that I should be chair height or more above ground when fully in the hammock. What things could I be doing wrong?

When I set-up, I make the ridgeline as tight as I possibly can, so as to not have the effect above. Yet it still happens. Help!

[RESPONSE]
Here's the deal. I've had & used a couple of the HH ULB A-Sym's for several years now. The ridge lines are tough yet its not hard to break one. If you do, tie it back together with a sheet bend.
The components of a new HH stretch a bit. Hang the hammock with some 'U' in it, tree huggers at head height or a little higher, between trees that are 10 to 15 feet apart. The way to tell is use your out-stretched treking poles in your hands. The trees should be two trekking poles or less apart. Do a couple wraps of the HH wrap on each tree and test the pitch by sitting in it like this: http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-chair.htm
Re-wrap the wraps (tighten it up) keeping both ropes as even as possible. Pitch the foot end so its 2-6 inches higher than the head end. Get in and take a nap!:)
R.

attroll
04-16-2006, 23:14
What I do when I set up my HH is tie the ridge line tight but not real tight. Describing how tight it is hard. I tie it so that the line is straight and level all the way across when I tie it out the first time. I do not tie it with the intention to keep it straight and level when I am in it. The hammock is suppose to hang once you get in it.

As for how high to tie it, that is a learning curve too. The idea is to ties it up so that when you sit in the entrance that you are about the same height as when sitting in a char.

peter_pan
04-17-2006, 11:31
Set it up ...sit/lay in it ....reset to desired height....enjoy!

Once the material has settled out all the initial stretch issue (and you have gained enough experiance in estimating distance between trees , stretch of your matures material, etc) ...you will get it real close first time, every time.

Pan

Tudor
04-17-2006, 11:51
Thanks everyone, for allaying my concerns. How long does it typically take for all stretching to be done with? *Also, should have known it's mainly due to operator error! :o :D *

Big Foot
04-17-2006, 16:13
Do any of you use the bottom cover and pad for cold weather? It's expensive and I bought one so I hope it's worth it. I still don't see how the pad is not going to interfere with getting in the hammock.

rpettit
04-17-2006, 16:32
Do a search for the hammock camping forum. Keyword, supershelter.

attroll
04-18-2006, 01:40
Do any of you use the bottom cover and pad for cold weather? It's expensive and I bought one so I hope it's worth it. I still don't see how the pad is not going to interfere with getting in the hammock.
Which one did you buy?

Big Foot
04-18-2006, 12:24
The one that goes with the explorer delux A-sym. It is just an undercover and a thin pad. I understand the idea behind it but it was suprising that for what it was it cost almost as much as the hammock!
I guess I'll find out Friday night when I begin my 18 day hike!

attroll
04-18-2006, 12:54
I can not speak for the HH pad because I have never seen it. I have one that I got for the outside of the hammock that cost quite a bit too. I could not believe how much it cost. But it works. I have not tried it in real cold weather yet. But the one I have has a slit just like the hammock and it lines up with the hammock slit.

stag3
04-18-2006, 13:31
I have used my HH in cold weather only once--doesn't get too cold in Houston. But it was 29 F and my $10 Blue egg crate from WalMart was more than enough. The egg crate is bulky, but super easy to use. From other WB posts, this looks like a popular choice.

Kerosene
04-18-2006, 14:02
I have used my HH in cold weather only once--doesn't get too cold in Houston. But it was 29 F and my $10 Blue egg crate from WalMart was more than enough. The egg crate is bulky, but super easy to use. From other WB posts, this looks like a popular choice.This only works if none of your body or sleeping bag is pressed against the uninsulated side of the hammock. I'm afraid that I move around too much as I sleep. It's amazing how quickly a cold knee will wake you up from a sound sleep (or keep you from going to sleep altogether)...and that was only in 45 degree temperatures!

stag3
04-18-2006, 15:13
This only works if none of your body or sleeping bag is pressed against the uninsulated side of the hammock. I'm afraid that I move around too much as I sleep. It's amazing how quickly a cold knee will wake you up from a sound sleep (or keep you from going to sleep altogether)...and that was only in 45 degree temperatures!

So very, very true. It is wild how instantly what ever touches the side gets cold. My solution is to cut a piece of Wal MArt blue about 10 in by 20 or 26 in (depending on what you need) and place on the side. Sometimes I use some tape to attached it to the big pad. Ususlly I leave it loose because I tend to sleep in about one place--away from the sides.