PDA

View Full Version : Ozark Highlands Trail

The Solemates
04-17-2006, 10:27
Did a bout on the Ozark Highlands near Woolum over the Easter weekend. Finding the trailhead was the biggest challenge. And the roads getting there were in really bad shape. I was turned around due to muddy roads and nearly waist-deep fords that I did not want to attempt in my truck, by myself. To make a long story short, I never really found the true trail. But I had a nice little dayhike along logging roads which I thought was the trail until later that day. I did find out where better access is located, and plan to go back to finish this section. I also bought some maps, which would have helped tremendously if I would have gotten them beforehand instead of relying solely on the guidebook.

Anyone that has been to this area and tried to access the trail via some of the backwoods trailheads will understand. The Ozarks run deep and remote into non-civilized areas. It was really amazing. And fun!

If anyone wants info concerning the OHT, Im available. If you plan a hike along the less-traveled portions of this trail, you will need advice, trust me. I will also post pictures soon.

MisterSweetie
04-18-2006, 23:26
My experience with Arkansas in general is that it's hard to find almost everything.