PDA

View Full Version : Need to Buy Newest Guidebooks?

Michele
04-17-2006, 10:50
Hi everyone, I was wondering how important it is to purchase the latest editions of whatever guidebook I decided to take w/me on my thru-hike next year. If my books are 2006, will that much have changed on the trail that I can't find out about by word of mouth?

The books I just ordered are:

AT Databook
Wingfoot's Thru-Hiker's Guidebook
ALDHA Thru-Hiker's Companion

I know I won't need all of them, but I wanted to look at all of them to make a decision of which ones are best for me. Thanks for your input!

--Michele

The Solemates
04-17-2006, 13:27
we took a 2000 guidebook on our thru hike in 2004. thats the only navigation help we had. we didnt have maps or a compass. we made it :)

TJ aka Teej
04-17-2006, 16:50
:welcome
There's always important updates, even after the books come out. Watch the Companion Update page on the ATC's website, check www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org) when the '07 Companion goes online next year, and buy the '07 DataBook. And stay tuned to WhiteBlaze, it has grown into quite an amazing Appalachian Trail resource over the last few years.

Peaks
04-17-2006, 18:02
I'd certainly buy the current edition of the ALDHA Companion or Wingfoot's Handbook, because there are a lot of detail changes each year in services offered in the various towns along the way.

Other than that, the data book, and AT guidebooks and maps don't change that much from year to year. No need to invest in the latest and greatest every year.

Kerosene
04-17-2006, 18:17
You'll be fine with what you have in hand. Even the most recent editions don't have the most recent relocations noted.

max patch
04-17-2006, 18:29
I'd certainly buy the current edition of the ALDHA Companion or Wingfoot's Handbook, because there are a lot of detail changes each year in services offered in the various towns along the way.

Other than that, the data book, and AT guidebooks and maps don't change that much from year to year. No need to invest in the latest and greatest every year.

Peaks nailed it.

Doctari
04-17-2006, 19:47
If I get to hike, I Plan on buying the "Latest & greatest".

That said, I agree with the others who said it aint all that important. Hiked 150+ miles in 2004 with information from the 1997 Handbook ONLY, and did quite well. Most of the new info I needed I got from the trail grapevine. You just need to pay attention when others talk :p I even found out about a neat web site called whiteblaze.net on that hike. Thanks Baltimore Jack.

Doctari

Doctari
04-17-2006, 19:48
"If I get to hike" was supposed to read: "If I get to thru hike", sorry.

Doctari.

hammock engineer
04-17-2006, 21:23
I already have the ATC book. My only issue with it, is that I am hiking south. It is written in a south to north format. Wingfoot's site says that it is in both formats. Is this true?

Call me lazy, but I do not feel like reading a book for 6 months in reverse.

Sly
04-17-2006, 22:33
I already have the ATC book. My only issue with it, is that I am hiking south. It is written in a south to north format. Wingfoot's site says that it is in both formats. Is this true?

Call me lazy, but I do not feel like reading a book for 6 months in reverse.

The 2006 ALDHA Companion published by the ATC has mileages both north and south, but the towns and shelters are listed south to north, same as the Handbook. It's not like either gives you a detailed description of the trail necessary for hiking (just follow the white blazes), so it's not a big deal.