PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen/Heat deflector for MSR Pocket Rocket?

tlbj6142
02-26-2003, 10:34
Not sure how much traction I'll get on this since most of you seem to be alcohol stove owners....

MSR makes it quite clear that they don't want you to use a windscreen or heat deflector (actually they never mention the heat deflector) when using the Pocket Rocket canister stove. They fear that the canister will get too warm if a windscreen is used.

The canister does get a bit warm if you don't use a windscreen, but I would think that if a properly size heat deflector was used the canister would not warm up.

How about this idea....

1) Build the "typical" windscreen. Add a few extra holes around the bottom to allow the canister to remain cool.

2) Build a heat reflector that would fit across the 3 prongs (pot supports) positioned just below jet, but above the air-intake port on the stem. The reflector's diameter would be identical to that of the wind screen. Preventing any heat, and air, from moving below the reflector.

3) An optional large hole would be placed on the side of the windscreen to allow flame adjustments.

Here (http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/pocket_rocket.asp) is a picture if the stove if you haven't seen one before.

Where does the O2 meet up with the gas to burn? At the top of the stove, or at the "port" on the stem of the stove? IOW, would I need to put a few holes around the windscreen just above the heat reflector to prevent the flame from going out? Or are the holes around the base (below the reflector) sufficient?

Any suggestions? Concerns?

Footslogger
02-26-2003, 10:44
Before I cut over to alcohol stoves I always used the canister types and ALWAYS used a windscreen. I noticed that by blocking the wind I had a more concentrated flame and got faster boilage.

I have the MSR PocketRocket and still like it for weekend trips. Only problem I ever had with windscreens and butane stoves was with an old GAZ model. I got the windscreen too close to the stove/cookpot and the heat really built up around the little blue control valve knob. When I looked down and saw the molten blue plastic dripping from the control I knew I had a problem. Since then I have punched a series of holes in the base of the windscreen and I've backed the windscreen off a bit. Haven't had a lick of trouble since.

For the windscreen itself I use heavy duty aluminum foil. I triple fold it down to the desired height and then use aluminum heating duct tape to close off the open ends. The windscreen fits inside my cookpot along with my stove

tlbj6142
02-26-2003, 11:04
So, you didn't create a heat shield to "separate" the stove from the canister?

You just built a properly sized, and ported, windscreen that ran from ground to the top of the pot, correct?

Streamweaver
02-26-2003, 11:30
Canister stove windscreen (http://www.backpackinglight.com/index/8/)

tlbj6142
02-26-2003, 11:39
Thanks, Streamweaver...

Lone Wolf
02-26-2003, 11:48
I have a Pocket Rocket, tlbj6142. The quickest , easiest stove I've owned.

tlbj6142
02-26-2003, 11:52
LW;

Do you use a windscreen and/or heat shield with it?

Lone Wolf
02-26-2003, 11:57
No. I just turn my back to any wind and can cook just fine.

Footslogger
02-26-2003, 12:11
Thanks StreamWeaver. Good reference. I never thought of building a windscreen that was just a "cradle" around the stove head. Mine goes all the way to the ground.
I see some modifications coming in the near future.

Thanks again

Papa Bear
02-26-2003, 15:32
I too have used the Pocket Rocket for many meals and never used a windscreen. I would sometimes put it next to a log or a rock if the wind were really blowing strong.

If you look at the nozzle where the flame is, you'll see a three pronged little metal thing. This is actually a windscreen and assures that only 1/3 of the flame blows out in a stiff breeze. It works, look at it carefully next time.

I've been told by several people whose opinion I trust, that if you see someone using a typical windscreen (a la Wisperlight) on a butane stove:
1) Move away very quickly
2) Tell him or her it's not a good idea as the canister could explode.

Remember that the canister actually gets cold when the fuel is vaporizing during cooking. It's a liquid under pressure which becomes a gas when the valve is opened. This is part of the heat balance of the thing. A windscreen will tend to deflect heat back on the canister with sometimes dire results. I've done nicely without ever using one. HYOH but do it carefully!

Pb

tlbj6142
02-26-2003, 16:22
PaPa Bear;

You are correct if someone was going to use a windshield that blocked the canister as well. But if you look at the one on the link posted by Streamweaver, you'll see that the canister is free to breathe.

TJ aka Teej
02-26-2003, 21:23
Originally posted by Streamweaver
Canister stove windscreen (http://www.backpackinglight.com/index/8/)

I've never used a windscreen for my PocketRocket - but that design is inspired! Thanks, Streamweaver!