PDA

View Full Version : Newbie hydration question

cjordan
04-18-2006, 09:54
Hello,
I'm a newbie and will be attempting a 3 day, 2 night hike from Amicalola
this May.
I'm sure this is a stupid question but I can't figure it out.
Since I'm only going to be hiking for a few days, I didn't want to get a
hydration pack. I figure I'd carry water bottles. But this brings up another
problem as to how to carry the bottle so it's within reach without having
to remove my pack everytime I want a drink? My pack, UL45, does not
have pockets that are easily accessible while the pack is on.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Allen

jlb2012
04-18-2006, 09:56
soda bottle with a jug knot around its neck and a mini-biner to clip it to your pack strap - if the bottle moving around on the strap bothers you use a loop of shock cord around the bottom of the bottle to steady it

Fiddler
04-18-2006, 10:07
Most outfitters have several kinds of accessory pockets you can add to your pack, including the mesh pockets made for bottles. Some attach to the straps, some to the belt, some have their own belt. Take a bottle with you to be sure it fits. Or like HOI suggested, tie on a 'biner and clip it on. Simpler and cheaper and just as effective.

scothiker
04-18-2006, 10:47
You can also get a gadget at Walmart, $2.99 or so, which slips over the neck of a water bottle (like a Dasani bottle) and has a cord attachment with a ring you can clip a 'biner on. I found mine in the fishing section, for some reason.

max patch
04-18-2006, 11:03
Since I'm only going to be hiking for a few days, I didn't want to get a hydration pack. I figure I'd carry water bottles. But this brings up another problem as to how to carry the bottle so it's within reach without having to remove my pack everytime I want a drink?

Well...I've hiked for 30 years and I keep my water bottle in my pack which means I have to remove my pack every time I want a drink. Hasn't bothered me yet.

vipahman
04-18-2006, 11:15
It is very convenient to use a bottle with a drinking tube (not necessarily a hydration pack). I use the 1L/2L Platypus bottles listed below with a drinking tube. At <4oz totally, the weight gain is about 6 oz over my 1.5L Nalgenes and is a side benefit. And they are very sturdy too. No complaints. And it's great for those 800-1000ft ascents where I usually need a sip every 300ft.

Kerosene
04-18-2006, 11:53
I use flexible 1L Nalgene cantenes (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=NA1100), one in each lower side pocket. I've replaced the lid of one of them with a hydration tube (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=NA1100) running from the bottom of the pocket that I've inverted the cantene in. All the benefits of a bladder without the drawbacks.

hikerjohnd
04-18-2006, 17:34
Well...I've hiked for 30 years and I keep my water bottle in my pack which means I have to remove my pack every time I want a drink. Hasn't bothered me yet.

Perhaps I could interest you in a new invention - we call it electricity...:D

What works for one does not necessarily work for all. I devised a hydration system in the days before camelbak and plattypus because I did not want to take my pack off - it did bother me.

If you are committed to nalgene bottles (as most newbies are) OR makes a sleeve that attached to your belt (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39198367&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1). It doubles as a nice cozy for freezerbag cooking if you're in to that.

Peaks
04-18-2006, 17:47

Maybe old habits die hard for some of us. I carry my water bottle in an exterior pocket, but usually need to remove my pack to stow it away. I figure that when I need a drink it's a good time for a short break.

oldfivetango
04-18-2006, 17:53
You can have my hydration bag-it get a tube full of fungus and mold real qucik and is as gross as you can imagine.I have used clorox and cleaned it out real good to no avail-crud will grow in water even if you are not drinking from it.Use a bottle and fininsh it off within a few hours lest you get all kind of "cooties" growing in it from your backwash.
OFT

sierraDoug
04-18-2006, 18:36
This looks good (click on the Unslack Pack link there)...

http://www.simblissity.net/

SGTdirtman
04-18-2006, 20:20
Depending on how you hike I usually have no problem stopping everytime I need a drink... heak you could use the break anyway, LOOK AROUND FOR GOD SAKES!

If your one of those nutballs trying to do 30+ miles a day then well yea you need to get to your water without even stopping and I'd suggest having a smaller water bottle clipped to the strap on your pack and you can keep rest in your pack.

Blissful
04-18-2006, 21:25
I really like hydration bags and tubes and think they are worth the money. My dh put his in his REI UL 45 right in the top pocket so it didn't take up room inside the pack (which is small capacity to begin with).

max patch
04-18-2006, 21:41
Perhaps I could interest you in a new invention - we call it electricity...:D

Funny thing...I keep looking but I've yet to see an electrical outlet that works at any placed I've camped on the AT.

cjordan
04-19-2006, 08:19
All good info, but I like the idea of stopping evertime I need a drink.
After all, one of the reasons we hike is to enjoy the scenery.

Thanks everyone.

Blissful
04-19-2006, 13:49
Funny thing...I keep looking but I've yet to see an electrical outlet that works at any placed I've camped on the AT.

Hey - a little off topic - but is there electricity at that backpacker's campground near the MD border? I heard it has showers and a heated bathroom for hikers. Might be the only place. :)

Uncle Silly
04-19-2006, 17:51
Hey - a little off topic - but is there electricity at that backpacker's campground near the MD border? I heard it has showers and a heated bathroom for hikers. Might be the only place. :)

The one by that 4- or 5-star restaurant? I believe so, at least inside the bathroom. I think I remember plugs for shavers and whatnot by the sinks. I don't recall any outside recepticles tho.