PDA

View Full Version : Pinhoti Trail To Finally Link to Appalachian Trail

veteran
04-18-2006, 12:24
A decades old dream of linking the Pinhoti Trail to the Appalachian Trail in north Georgia will soon be realized.

Story: http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4661939&nav=0RdE

Footslogger
04-18-2006, 12:30
Cool ...so where will it actually join the AT ??

'Slogger

Dances with Mice
04-18-2006, 13:32
Cool ...so where will it actually join the AT ??'SloggerI believe it connects to the AT via the Benton Mac Trail.

Footslogger
04-18-2006, 13:35
I believe it connects to the AT via the Benton Mac Trail.

=======================

Up by 3 Forks or further north ??

'Slogger

Dances with Mice
04-18-2006, 13:55
Up by 3 Forks or further north ??'SloggerThe Pinhoti connects to Benton Mac (I hate to write "BM Trail") way north of 3 Forks, but that Benton Mac / AT intersection would be the closest AT connection site - unless you cut across on the Duncan Ridge Trail towards Blood Mtn. Anyways, here's a map of the Pinhoti / Benton Mac intersection ... http://www.georgiapinhoti.org/maps/GPT_Section18.jpg

Tha Wookie
04-18-2006, 14:00
This really isn't true yet.

There is a 20 mile gap in between Dalton and the Cohuttas.

But yes, the Temple-Inland buy was very big!

When I trespassed on that land in 2002, I had a hunter warn me sternly with a gun. Now, there iwll be a trail! GREAT!

Footslogger
04-18-2006, 14:04
Heck ...that's enough to make me wanna fly back and do some hiking in Alabama and Georgia again.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
04-18-2006, 20:34
This really isn't true yet.

There is a 20 mile gap in between Dalton and the Cohuttas.

But yes, the Temple-Inland buy was very big!

When I trespassed on that land in 2002, I had a hunter warn me sternly with a gun. Now, there iwll be a trail! GREAT!

There are actually two 20 mile road walks on the GA Pinhoti. But remember, the AT had road walks for a LONG LONG time.

This is BIG news. They are looking for volunteers to help build trail. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Jeffrey Hunter

Tha Wookie
04-20-2006, 08:45
There are actually two 20 mile road walks on the GA Pinhoti. But remember, the AT had road walks for a LONG LONG time.

This is BIG news. They are looking for volunteers to help build trail. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Jeffrey Hunter

Yeah.... I'm sure the folks hiking the CDT will tell you that two 20 mile roadwalks are nothing.

When I hiked the trail (although I still have the last section to finish), Adder and I walked the first roadwalk (actually quite nice in MOST sections, acouple stretches were dangerous), but the last hike we took we skipped the Dalton - Cohutta one.

I don't mean to knock what the AL and GA Pinhoti folks are doing. They have done beyond FANTASTIC in their hard work and fight of the trail corridor. The Temple-Inland buy is more than a land parcel. It is a joining of two states, two major trails, and hikers everywhere, whether they hike the trail or not.

Just to KNOW that you can walk from Talledegah to Cape Gaspe -wow!

Now to DO it..... that is another blessed dream!

SGT Rock
04-21-2006, 01:41
Cool!

Now I just need to section the part I haven't done on the Pinhoti to Springer.

Thanks for all the hard work to the trail builders and maintainers that are making it happen.