PDA

View Full Version : Help, Baby mouse in my stuff sack!

roamin'
04-18-2006, 15:31
Got back yesterday from section hiking the approack trail to Neels Gap. I woke up this morning and cleared most of the gear from my car. However When I was driving to work I heard a wierd little squeaking noise just as I pulled into a parking space. Sure enough, as I rummaged through a couple stuff sacks in the car I found a baby mouse trying to get out. So I scooped him up and was carrying him over to the woods to release him and noticed he didn't even have his eyes open! Now I have this little mouse sitting in my stuff sack at work and don't know what to do with him. I called a vet and they said they couldn't help me. I have had pet rats before so don't mind keeping him but is it safe? Will he live?
Need some help here. I want to do what's best for baby Springer (only name I could think of).

Footslogger
04-18-2006, 15:36
What a HOOT. Had a similar thing happen on the AT in 2001. Packs were hung on nails at the edge of the shelter awning. Next morning a hiker reached into her pack for a stuff sack and felt something warm and fuzzy. Momma mouse had decided to give birth the night before and the pack seemed like a logical delivery room.

'Slogger

orangebug
04-18-2006, 15:43
Let nature run it's course. It has no Mamma, no food, and no risk of the species missing it.

Cuffs
04-18-2006, 15:56
http://www.awrc.org/Baby_Mammals.htm

Baby mammal formulas are found here!

Lion King
04-18-2006, 16:02
If you are a thruhiker you could add it to your Ramen/Liptons. :D

JUST KIDDING VEGANS!
:D

they taste fine raw.

Fiddler
04-18-2006, 16:04
If it's big enough to drink from an eye dropper you can feed it with that. Whole milk is all it should need. Got to feed it 5 or 6 times a day. Keep a little regular food by it (almost anything) and in a week or so it will be eating. My son used to raise mice, that's what we did when the mother would reject the babies.

jeepcj258
04-18-2006, 16:16
Find a snake.

Joking..

vipahman
04-18-2006, 16:16
So I scooped him up and was carrying him over to the woods to release him and noticed he didn't even have his eyes open! Are you sure it's male? :D And remember if it sees you first, your it's mama. :banana

So you want to abandon your baby? I suggest any of the following white trash methods:-
1. Put it in the bathtub and slash it with a kitchen knife.
2. Put it in your car and drive it into a lake.
3. Put it in a basket and leave it on the steps of the local church.
4. Or just shoot somebody and the government will find foster care.
Sorry I couldn't resist. Seriously, I suggest you give it milk and release it into the wild when it opens it's eyes. Don't forget to take photos.

roamin'
04-18-2006, 16:27
Can't kill it. I love animals too much. Plus, Little Springer wants to live!
I'm gonna try the milk tonight. For now he's inside a stuff sack with napkins and a sock hanging off my desk. I put a piece of cracker in there as well as a carrot and noodle out of my minestrone soup today. So hopefully it's ok.
I'll try to snap a couple pictures tonight!

Doctari
04-18-2006, 17:09
If I remember right, carnation condensed milk & Kero syrup kept many a baby rabbit alive when I was young, I seem to member it being 50/50. Feed 6 or 7 (Or more) times a day.

Doctari.

lbbrown
04-18-2006, 18:06
Got back yesterday from section hiking the approack trail to Neels Gap. I woke up this morning and cleared most of the gear from my car. However When I was driving to work I heard a wierd little squeaking noise just as I pulled into a parking space. Sure enough, as I rummaged through a couple stuff sacks in the car I found a baby mouse trying to get out. So I scooped him up and was carrying him over to the woods to release him and noticed he didn't even have his eyes open! Now I have this little mouse sitting in my stuff sack at work and don't know what to do with him. I called a vet and they said they couldn't help me. I have had pet rats before so don't mind keeping him but is it safe? Will he live?
Need some help here. I want to do what's best for baby Springer (only name I could think of).
My son has a 4 foot ball python. Do you take Paypal? I'll prepay shipping.

downhill
04-18-2006, 18:28
don't get too atached, we tried and failed to save 2 baby squrrels whose mother died.

:(

camich
04-18-2006, 18:37
I can't wait to see the pictures. What did the people at work think about him?:)

SGTdirtman
04-18-2006, 19:46
I once had a mesquito in my car after hiking... Id recommend doing the same thing to that mouse as I did to the mesquito.

smash it flat with something heavy and call it a day, It'll just starve to death slowly anyway.

SGTdirtman
04-18-2006, 19:50
I once had a mesquito in my car after hiking... Id recommend doing the same thing to that mouse as I did to the mesquito.

smash it flat with something heavy and call it a day, It'll just starve to death slowly anyway.

BTW if you wanna play mr. save the world, puppy formula is what you feed baby rodents. I raise squirrels and rats for reptile food. they need to be fed every 3 hours with a tiny eye dropper and you need to rub there stomachs each time. but at any rate itll more than likely be worthless, the mother probably abandonded is and rodents usually do that to young that are sick so they dont infect their siblings.

Deb
04-18-2006, 20:19
I have successfully re-habed baby squirrels whose eyes were not open yet.
It will die if it's not kept warm; use a lamp or a water bottle and wrap the baby up in a soft towel. It has to be dropper fed around the clock; pretty soon it will begin to suck and you can use a tiny bottle. I used Similac; prepare according to the label.
Good luck.

Skidsteer
04-18-2006, 20:40
Can't kill it. I love animals too much. Plus, Little Springer wants to live!
I'm gonna try the milk tonight. For now he's inside a stuff sack with napkins and a sock hanging off my desk. I put a piece of cracker in there as well as a carrot and noodle out of my minestrone soup today. So hopefully it's ok.
I'll try to snap a couple pictures tonight!

Perhaps there's a viable cottage industry opportunity here. If, perchance, the little rat(:p)lives, you could market your own line of lightweight mouse packs(so he can carry his own food), a collapsible sil-nylon water bowl(@ the size of an Ion stove), and ripstop nylon mouse gaiters for trekking in deep snow.

Don't forget to keep Little Springer leashed! Not only is an unleashed mouse in constant peril(exhibit A (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10484&c=669)), but a wet mouse can ruin a down bag with one shake of it's tail, don't you know. :D

SGTdirtman
04-18-2006, 21:04
I have successfully re-habed baby squirrels whose eyes were not open yet.
It will die if it's not kept warm; use a lamp or a water bottle and wrap the baby up in a soft towel. It has to be dropper fed around the clock; pretty soon it will begin to suck and you can use a tiny bottle. I used Similac; prepare according to the label.
Good luck.

I cant beleive I'm getting into this...

You are NOT suppose to use baby formula on rodents. It will keep them alive but lacks alot of something or other (I'm not a vet) that they need. And they can and often will have shorter life spans and many deficiencies as they get older. Dog forumula is what you use on rodents of all kinds, it is almost an exact match to rodent milk. (its also cheaper...)

Blissful
04-18-2006, 21:15
I once nursed a baby gerbil that its mother abandoned (they were pets from the pet store). Gave it warm milk via a dropper and had an electric stone that I covered with a sock to keep it warm. Did great and lived for several years.

However with a mouse in the wild like that, I would hesitate to nurse it for fear of viruses, rabies, etc. I'd be inclined to let it go unless you know of some wildlife center that knows how to safely handle wild creatures. (we have one here in VA)

Lone Wolf
04-18-2006, 21:15
Whack it. It's vermin.

Skidsteer
04-18-2006, 21:22
Whack it. It's vermin.

As I was clicking on Lone Wolf's response I said out loud, " This oughta be good."

I wasn't disappointed.

Lone Wolf
04-18-2006, 21:25
I mean really!:rolleyes: A friggin mouse.

Skidsteer
04-18-2006, 21:31
I mean really!:rolleyes: A friggin mouse.

I absolutely understand.

A friggin moose in your stuff sack.....Now that's a thread starter.

Cuffs
04-18-2006, 21:53
However with a mouse in the wild like that, I would hesitate to nurse it for fear of viruses, rabies, etc. I'd be inclined to let it go unless you know of some wildlife center that knows how to safely handle wild creatures. (we have one here in VA)

Mice dont carry rabies....

Cuffs
04-18-2006, 21:56
http://www.awrc.org/Eastern%20Chipmunks.htm

that formula is for chipmunks... you can also use the one for flying squirrels... do not over feed, they will eat til its gone, and overeat!! after each feeding, every 2 hours..., you will need to stimulate it to go potty... warm cottonball on the genitals... Keep Springer hydrated and warm. these are the 2 highest priorities!!

Disney
04-18-2006, 22:19
Mice dont carry rabies....

No, but their feces can carry the hanta virus.

orangebug
04-18-2006, 22:27
I mean really!:rolleyes: A friggin mouse.Damn, I can't believe that Wolf and I agreed so totally on this.

Am I turning <shudder> REPUBLICAN? :eek:

Skidsteer
04-18-2006, 22:39
Am I turning <SHUDDER>REPUBLICAN? :eek:

Well....Elephants are rumored to hate mice...:-?

roamin'
04-18-2006, 23:18
Well springer has lived through the day eating formula. Very active and happy to be alive. Just want to thank the people that offered some good advice on taking care of the mouse. For the rest of you that have nothing but negative to add, please find another thread to talk crap on. I was looking for help and a kind few did offer that, so thanks to those of you who did.
I suggest y'all read the thread by redneckeye about hiking 350 miles. The real people who are good hearted and friendly are on the trail, not being keyboard warriors such as yourselves. Honestly, I wish I was still hiking so I wouldn't have to read the stupidity posted by some here.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-18-2006, 23:25
Glad to hear little Springer is doing well.

mindi
04-19-2006, 06:04
YAY for Springer!! I really hope he makes it :)..

Lone Wolf
04-19-2006, 07:06
YAY for Jerry Springer the Wonder Mouse!:banana

Newb
04-19-2006, 07:43
You're all insane.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-19-2006, 08:04
Jer--ry, Jer--ry, Jer--ry

otterman
04-19-2006, 08:20
I would think a quick death would be preferable to the slow, starving death that is likely to occur without it's mother.

orangebug
04-19-2006, 09:30
I suggest y'all read the thread by redneckeye about hiking 350 miles. The real people who are good hearted and friendly are on the trail, not being keyboard warriors such as yourselves. Honestly, I wish I was still hiking so I wouldn't have to read the stupidity posted by some here.Sorry, but my comments we not intended as negative or a display of stupidity. My comments are that the effort to feed a mouse would be better used to help a creature in threat of extinction or a creature with the potential to serve others. I have worked with mice in medical labs, cleaned up after mice in shelters, and dealt with the consequences of vermin in human habitation. I am a foster parent an help raise children that could afford the affection bestowed on the Wonder Mouse.

But if saving the life of a common field mouse makes your day complete, I admire the simplicity of your life. It just seems like a bit of excessive drama to me.

Lion King
04-19-2006, 10:47
ah roamin; Im a sarcastic kinda guy. I never mean no harm specially to lil' Springy.

It would make a fine kids animated movie though...

"A lone wood mouse in tired and cold and suffering from the elements watches as her children go their seperate ways.
All but for one.
Lil' Springer.
The runt of the litter, and mother knows she wont live long enough to save Springer, so she instructs him on how to hide in a food bag.

Join Disney and Miramax pictures this summer as they bring you a tail of a Mouse and a hiker who befriend each other on the Appalachiant Trail.
Starring the voices of Baltimore Jack as the WhipperWhirl, Warren Doyle as the Sly Fox, and Uncle Johnny as Todd the Vulture.

coming soon to a trail town near you!:D

sellis
04-19-2006, 10:49
Sorry, but my comments we not intended as negative or a display of stupidity. My comments are that the effort to feed a mouse would be better used to help a creature in threat of extinction or a creature with the potential to serve others. I have worked with mice in medical labs, cleaned up after mice in shelters, and dealt with the consequences of vermin in human habitation. I am a foster parent an help raise children that could afford the affection bestowed on the Wonder Mouse.

But if saving the life of a common field mouse makes your day complete, I admire the simplicity of your life. It just seems like a bit of excessive drama to me.

I can only speak for myself, but I do not view kindness toward a tiny, helpless creature as excessive drama. All creatures in such a condition deserve this treatment, whether it is on the brink of distinction, an abused child or an orphaned mouse. There is no question that a mouse in a shelter is considered by most to be a nuisance; however, they congregate in such numbers because human activity creates a sustainable environment for habitation. So which species is the nuisance? If we practiced a little more LNT philosophy we would see fewer nuisance animals. Furthermore, you engaged in work that actively bred animals in order to destroy them in the name of science. If one factors out all Machiavellian philosophy, such an action is the epitomy of cold and uncompassionate. Therefore, your accusation of “excessively dramatic” is tainted with your negative experiences and could simply be interpreted as an attempt to create drama.

Lion King
04-19-2006, 10:55
I can only speak for myself, but I do not view kindness toward a tiny, helpless creature as excessive drama. All creatures in such a condition deserve this treatment, whether it is on the brink of distinction, an abused child or an orphaned mouse. There is no question that a mouse in a shelter is considered by most to be a nuisance; however, they congregate in such numbers because human activity creates a sustainable environment for habitation. So which species is the nuisance? If we practiced a little more LNT philosophy we would see fewer nuisance animals. Furthermore, you engaged in work that actively bred animals in order to destroy them in the name of science. If one factors out all Machiavellian philosophy, such an action is the epitomy of cold and uncompassionate. Therefore, your accusation of “excessively dramatic” is tainted with your negative experiences and could simply be interpreted as an attempt to create drama.

Did you mean for this to be in the Bear attack thread?

orangebug
04-19-2006, 11:05
.. If one factors out all Machiavellian philosophy, such an action is the epitomy of cold and uncompassionate. Therefore, your accusation of “excessively dramatic” is tainted with your negative experiences and could simply be interpreted as an attempt to create drama.
Yup, drama abounds.

I am amazed that one could seriously equate an abused child to an orphaned mouse. If that makes me "cold and uncompassionate," I have nothing more to say.

sellis
04-19-2006, 11:30
Yup, drama abounds.

I am amazed that one could seriously equate an abused child to an orphaned mouse. If that makes me "cold and uncompassionate," I have nothing more to say.

Please re-read my post...I equated the "condition of vulnerablity" of the species not their inherent value. Probably best you have nothing more to say.

Lone Wolf
04-19-2006, 11:35
I will kill some mice today in honor of you PETA whackjobs.:rolleyes:

chomp
04-19-2006, 11:46
I am a foster parent an help raise children that could afford the affection bestowed on the Wonder Mouse.

Bleck - this is EXACTLY the kind of thing that Redneck was talking about. And one of the worst traits that I see here on Whiteblaze. Call it the "I'm so great, so suck" syndrome.

You know, I spend my spare time dumpster diving looking for abandoned babies and trying to save them before they suffociate. Also, I volunteer to cook at a local fire department, clean the bird crap off statues in the town square, and donate 3% of my income to the D.A.R.E. program. When I have some down time, I teach myself arabic so I can communicate better with my Iranian pen pal that I an trying to convince not to be a suicide bomber. It can be hard to study sometimes over the ramblings of my althisemer's-ridden grandmother, who sleeps in my bedroom while I bunk out on the couch. Usually, however, I just change her diaper and everything is OK.

So, if you have time to save a baby mouse, well, you just suck.

Gray Blazer
04-19-2006, 11:51
I will kill some mice today in honor of you PETA whackjobs.:rolleyes:
LW thinks PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals! Roamin', raise him well and then release him on the Florida Trail so the appalachian country mice will have a cousin in FL. The FT runs thru Tampa, right?:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
04-19-2006, 11:58
Killing mice. www.studentweb.med.harvard.edu/JMU16/html/killingmice.html

SGTdirtman
04-19-2006, 12:29
I hate animal lovers, they are always to one sided... Be a nature lover and then realize the fact by trying to save a mouse abandoned by its mother you just starved some other animal out of its dinner, perhaps the colony of ants that could have eaten the dead mouse and then the tiny sparrow came and ate those little ants... untill a snake came and ate the little sparrow... and then a glorious eagle swoops down and eats the snake....

I guess you dont care about eagles...

Lion King
04-19-2006, 12:45
I hate animal lovers, they are always to one sided... Be a nature lover and then realize the fact by trying to save a mouse abandoned by its mother you just starved some other animal out of its dinner, perhaps the colony of ants that could have eaten the dead mouse and then the tiny sparrow came and ate those little ants... untill a snake came and ate the little sparrow... and then a glorious eagle swoops down and eats the snake....

I guess you dont care about eagles...

And Eagles are protected by the US Govt...is this 'saving a mouse' an act of terrorism???:D
Come home Rock! We need you!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-19-2006, 13:50
Merciful heavens. If you guys can manage to get your mind around the idea of 'hiking your own hike', maybe, just maybe you can take it one step further to 'live and let live.' If roamin' want to save a baby mouse, it is his time and his quest.

Lion King
04-19-2006, 14:13
Merciful heavens. If you guys can manage to get your mind around the idea of 'hiking your own hike', maybe, just maybe you can take it one step further to 'live and let live.' If roamin' want to save a baby mouse, it is his time and his quest.

I think he knows we're joking.

orangebug
04-19-2006, 14:13
Please re-read my post...I equated the "condition of vulnerablity" of the species not their inherent value. Probably best you have nothing more to say.Re-read it about 15 times. Why not contribute to the website to edit the message to agree with your equivocation.

I guess it is cold and uncompassionate to have an ethical system that values humans and endangered species over common field mice.

SGTdirtman
04-19-2006, 18:41
Only on this site could there be a 3 page discussion which started about a feild mouse that turns into a animal rights and ethical debate...

friggin hippies :p

Skidsteer
04-19-2006, 19:03
Only on this site could there be a 3 page discussion which started about a feild mouse that turns into a animal rights and ethical debate...

I know! Isn't WB great?

:D (http://www.geocities.com/nukethewhales38/hippy.jpg)(click big grin)

Lone Wolf
04-19-2006, 19:20

These friggin hippies are the first to ABORT a HUMAN child and not bat an eye. But kill a ***n mouse! The horror! *** y'all.

sellis
04-19-2006, 19:36
Re-read it about 15 times. Why not contribute to the website to edit the message to agree with your equivocation.

I guess it is cold and uncompassionate to have an ethical system that values humans and endangered species over common field mice.

I never commented on your value of humans. That's your business. I commented on your egocentric view of what deserves compassion. Your post bashed Roamin' for kindness to a small animal and based on your own skewed past experiences, you deemed this pursuit excessively dramatic. My comment also had nothing to do with 'animal rights' and everything to do with how one judges others.

Many people said that they didn't care for mice, but your comments were sarcastic and placed your good deeds on a higher level.

Lone Wolf
04-19-2006, 19:39
What's your value of humans sellis? Save a mouse, kill a baby? Choice my azz.

Skidsteer
04-19-2006, 20:17
All creatures in such a condition deserve this treatment, whether it is on the brink of distinction, an abused child or an orphaned mouse.

Let's boil this down to the essence:

Sellis, Is there a flyswatter in your house? Mosquito repellant? Roach spray?...............Mouse trap or rat poison?:eek:

Remember, we're on the honor system here.:)

nerdishgrrl
04-19-2006, 21:07
What's your value of humans sellis? Save a mouse, kill a baby? Choice my azz.

Are you kidding me? This is a supreme example of how much wb has changed lately. Its a thread about how to save a mouse, and this is a response?? LW, i doubt you've ever experienced what its like to be pregnant, perhaps from something like a rape, and to know that you could never care for a child. Banning abortion only leads to more unloved and unwanted children. It also only increases back alley abortions, which threaten women's health in scary ways.
I think its awesome that someone would save the mouse left in their stuff sack. I think that LW just needs some of that workforce sensitivity training.;)

Skidsteer
04-19-2006, 21:08
I think that LW just needs some of that workforce sensitivity training.;)

Yeeeahh. Good Luck with that!:rolleyes:

Skidsteer
04-19-2006, 21:19
Clarification:

Sellis, I really mean you or Roamin' no ill will. You and Roamin' can save as many baby mice as you like and I promise not to give a fig. All of my early posts were in jest and meant to lighten the tone of the thread in hopes that people wouldn't get so serious.

But then you got strong with Orangebug.

You disrepected a man whose training and vocation requires him to to make value and priority judgements that most of us are not required to make. To make it worse, you wimped out and instead of being specific you implied that his philosophy is " Machiavellian". Pretty weak and insensitive.

In the interest of peace and harmony, I promise not to "off" any mice in your presence.:D

rickb
04-19-2006, 21:46
To my way of thinking, helping little Springer is probably at least as useful as making yet another homemade stove.

But to borrow a thought from OB, if makes your day complete, I admire the simplicity of your lifes.

Oh wait. That's different. Nevermind.

Skidsteer
04-19-2006, 21:49
To my way of thinking, helping little Springer is probably at least as useful as making yet another homemade stove.

Ouch! You cut me to the quick.

sellis
04-19-2006, 21:58
Let's boil this down to the essence:

Sellis, Is there a flyswatter in your house? Mosquito repellant? Roach spray?...............Mouse trap or rat poison?:eek:

Remember, we're on the honor system here.:)

My comment was not meant to be an animal rights discussion, simply a defense of Roamin's position to an onslaught of insensitive opinions. Yes, I am an animal lover and try to respect all creatures. If I found a mouse in my pack, I am not sure that I would have tried to save its life, or if my intervention would have caused it to suffer more. The essence of my statement was that all creatures deserve compassion and that also means the killing of an animal because it is suffering may be the most compassionate course of action. But, when someone suggests that I limit my compassion “to help a creature in threat of extinction or a creature with the potential to serve others.” Shows a lack of respect not only for the animal deemed unfit, but for the human that disagrees with that value judgment. ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
I don’t go out of my way to kill any animals, and if attacked by an animal will attempt avoidance over retaliation. However when that doesn’t work I will defend family and myself.

To answer your question...No, I don't have any of the above items in my house...scouts honor. But I will admit to rolled up magazines.
<O:p></O:p>

sellis
04-19-2006, 22:20
Clarification:

Sellis, I really mean you or Roamin' no ill will. You and Roamin' can save as many baby mice as you like and I promise not to give a fig. All of my early posts were in jest and meant to lighten the tone of the thread in hopes that people wouldn't get so serious.

But then you got strong with Orangebug.

You disrepected a man whose training and vocation requires him to to make value and priority judgements that most of us are not required to make. To make it worse, you wimped out and instead of being specific you implied that his philosophy is " Machiavellian". Pretty weak and insensitive.

In the interest of peace and harmony, I promise not to "off" any mice in your presence.:D

Thank you, and may you enjoy the feeling of a thousand furry mice scurrying over your body in the shelter darkness on a rainy night somewhere in the lonely mountains.

Peace

Skidsteer
04-19-2006, 22:24
My comment was not meant to be an animal rights discussion, simply a defense of Roamin's position to an onslaught of insensitive opinions.

Insensitive opinions? or incredulous?

Yes, I am an animal lover and try to respect all creatures.

Well, me too. I own or am owned by four dogs, two cats and two ferrets. They are united in their vendetta against mice.

If I found a mouse in my pack, I am not sure that I would have tried to save its life, or if my intervention would have caused it to suffer more. The essence of my statement was that all creatures deserve compassion and that also means the killing of an animal because it is suffering may be the most compassionate course of action.

A thoughtful response.

But, when someone suggests that I limit my compassion “to help a creature in threat of extinction or a creature with the potential to serve others.” Shows a lack of respect not only for the animal deemed unfit, but for the human that disagrees with that value judgment.<O:p></O:p>

Not unfit. Perhaps superfluous when compared to nearly extinct species, abused children, and aborted babies.

I don’t go out of my way to kill any animals, and if attacked by an animal will attempt avoidance over retaliation.

Suit yourself. Truly.:)

However when that doesn’t work I will defend family and myself.

Sensible.

To answer your question...No, I don't have any of the above items in my house...scouts honor. But I will admit to rolled up magazines.

I believe you.

Skidsteer
04-19-2006, 22:25
Thank you, and may you enjoy the feeling of a thousand furry mice scurrying over your body in the shelter darkness on a rainy night somewhere in the lonely mountains.

Peace

Whew! Good thing I don't sleep in shelters! :eek:

Blissful
04-19-2006, 22:36
LW, i doubt you've ever experienced what its like to be pregnant, perhaps from something like a rape, and to know that you could never care for a child. Banning abortion only leads to more unloved and unwanted children. It also only increases back alley abortions, which threaten women's health in scary ways.
I think its awesome that someone would save the mouse left in their stuff sack. I think that LW just needs some of that workforce sensitivity training.;)

:eek: Sorry, but I'd rather a child were saved than a mouse any day. I love my beagle and I love the tiny gerbil I once saved, but when it comes to a child's life and animals and which is more important to save (even an unborn child whose eyes aren't open yet) the child wins hands down...

Comparing animals to kids and then saying a child should be aborted based on whether they are "wanted" or their life is deemed worthy is very sad. (And I know children are wanted. I have many childless friends who adopted and had to go to China to do it) How can one compare a field mouse to a human being?

SGTdirtman
04-19-2006, 23:04
How can one compare a field mouse to a human being?

I can compare the two...

If people keep saving them, There will be to many of both :D

Lone Wolf
04-20-2006, 00:03
Are you kidding me? This is a supreme example of how much wb has changed lately. Its a thread about how to save a mouse, and this is a response?? LW, i doubt you've ever experienced what its like to be pregnant, perhaps from something like a rape, and to know that you could never care for a child. Banning abortion only leads to more unloved and unwanted children. It also only increases back alley abortions, which threaten women's health in scary ways.
Thank Christ you weren't aborted by your mom. You're so loving and caring. I'll cease and desist whacking mice. You've turned me into a bleeding heart.

DawnTreader
04-20-2006, 00:33
WOW...After spending a friegan LONG Time reading this thread from the begining to the end, The whole time, I assumed Roamin' was a woman.. man.. I'm an idiot.. neway...let him save his mouse.. I probabbly wouldn't have, but, thats me....

greentick
04-20-2006, 00:52
i doubt you've ever experienced what its like to be pregnant, perhaps from something like a rape, and to know that you could never care for a child. Banning abortion only leads to more unloved and unwanted children.;)

So 2 wrongs make a right? rape+abortion=all's OK?
I don't think so.

And AFA threatening a woman's health in scary ways, nevermind that that woman may never be able to carry a child due to her "procedure" and that she will carry the emotional scars for life. No abortion clinic will ever give that piece of information. How easy to terminate a baby without thought or advice into the long term effects. One could make a huge impact on the life of a couple unable to have children, not to mention the life of the child who would then be loved and wanted.

what mouse?....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-20-2006, 01:02
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_8.gifWe've gone from a mouse rescue to animal rights to abortion http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_3.gif

I'll come back when the discussion moves to gun control

greentick
04-20-2006, 01:06
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_8.gifWe've gone from a mouse rescue to animal rights to abortion http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_3.gif

I'll come back when the discussion moves to gun control

Gun control is hitting a running mouse with one shot at 25 meters. Will you come back now?:D

roamin'
04-20-2006, 01:06
It amazes me how many different directions this thread has gone!
I ask for some help on how to nourish and help a baby mouse so I can give it a chance and people want to kill it, feed it to a snake, equate it to baby humans, derive their own thoughts of what kind of person I am, how simple my life is or how simple a person I am and all kinds of other BS.
90% of the responses are ridiculous.

First off don't judge, question, or think anything of any person unless you truely know them. I don't judge or form opinions of anyone here on WB do I?

If you question my character on why I would take the time out of my schedule to care and nurture a baby mouse which doesn't even have its eyes open, then you lack the ability to see blind love. I would do this for anything living, human or animal, no question.

As we age, most lose that ability to see and feel with childrens eyes and hearts. We become cold from past experiences and times when we were hurt harden us. Ask any child what they would do in this case, 99% would do as I am. Many of you have lost that caring, fun loving quality we all once or had.

I don't feel there is need to debate, ridicule, demean, or consider much else on the topic. I have received warm pm's from some good folk and am glad for that. As for the rest of the posts that were negative towars myself or even to others, there was no need for it. Those of you posting that crap need to get out and hike and clear your minds.

As for Little Springer, he's survived hiding in my pack while I hiked 14 miles on sunday, drove 2 hours to a hotel, slept overnight, drove 6 more hours to get home, slept another night, and then he was discovered on tuesday as I drove to work. He certainly has a will to live. He's alive and active eating the kitten meal replacement and having bowel movements as normal as can be. he will live under my care as a domestic pet from here out

Again, I appreciate the positive responses I have received, and as for all the rest, It was not needed. I understand alot was in jest, but some of it was just dumb, mean, and unnecessary.

Roamin'

Lone Wolf
04-20-2006, 06:27
So you're pro-life?

Fiddler
04-20-2006, 08:18
Are we gonna get a pic? Perhaps sitting in the caring hand? Glad he's doing O.K.

roamin'
04-20-2006, 08:56
I am working on a picture being uploaded. Tonight I should have one for ya.

SGTdirtman
04-20-2006, 11:02
I havent herd anyones veiws on gun violence, or the iraq war yet, how about the death sentance?

TDale
04-20-2006, 11:15
"As we age, most lose that ability to see and feel with childrens eyes and hearts. We become cold from past experiences and times when we were hurt harden us. Ask any child what they would do in this case, 99% would do as I am."

Well said.

orangebug
04-20-2006, 11:38
And admirable. These are his choices about what to do with his resources and compassion. Not all would agree.

But I find it really bizarre that some would assume he is a baby killing liberal. Some folks really need to get a life.

Alligator
04-20-2006, 11:53
And admirable. These are his choices about what to do with his resources and compassion. Not all would agree.

But I find it really bizarre that some would assume he is a baby killing liberal. Some folks really need to get a life.
Shhssh that's LW's favorite spoon;) .

Dances with Mice
04-20-2006, 12:48
nevermind.

fishinfred
04-20-2006, 13:28
Your a true ANGEL Roamin! Good luck with it
Fishinfred

otterman
04-20-2006, 13:45
Again, I appreciate the positive responses I have received, and as for all the rest, It was not needed. I understand alot was in jest, but some of it was just dumb, mean, and unnecessary.

Roamin'[/quote]

I think that this quote pretty much sums up every thread ever posted on Whiteblaze.:jump

Otterman

max patch
04-20-2006, 13:51
wow...83 posts on a mouse.

note to self...always start threads using the "straight forward" portion of the website.

onicoe
04-20-2006, 14:36
y'know, i read the first page completely as "baby moose" and kept wondering just how small is a baby moose to fit into a stuff sack..

chomp
04-20-2006, 15:40
These friggin hippies are the first to ABORT a HUMAN child and not bat an eye. But kill a ***n mouse! The horror! *** y'all.

MMmmm... killing babies...

By the way, abortion isn't killing a baby, its terminating a pre-human. But if you do find yourself with a dead baby, Wolf, here are 12 things that you could do with it:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/12986

rhjanes
04-20-2006, 16:49
Mouse??? Shoot... I just read this and thought it was a baby MOOSE!!!

Skidsteer
04-20-2006, 18:41
nevermind.

Nevermind? I've been watching this thread(that references your trail name) for two days and expecting a classic from you.

Buckle down amigo, I need a laugh after this silliness! :D No pressure, though.;)

Dances with Mice
04-20-2006, 19:07
Nevermind? I've been watching this thread(that references your trail name) for two days and expecting a classic from you.

Buckle down amigo, I need a laugh after this silliness! :D No pressure, though.;)Nah. I wrote this long post about how I ignored (http://www.atlantajugglers.org/6-29-04/pages/DSC_0005_JPG.htm) a homeless guy panhandling in Lil 5 Pts (http://www.l5p.com/)on Tuesday evening (http://www.atlantajugglers.org/meetings.htm)then on the way home stopped (http://www.walmart.com/)to buy over $20 worth of birdseed & what that said about how I spend my "resources and compassion".

But I ain't going there. Though you could speculate about how desperate someone's gotta be when they start panhandling these guys (http://www.atlantajugglers.org/6-29-04/pages/DSC_0022_JPG.htm).

Mr. Clean
04-20-2006, 19:08
I guess this is an example of why we should never discuss politics and religion.

I'm floored by the posts of some of the old-time posters of this board. He asked a question about a mouse, for Christ's sake. Lets all go hiking.

peter_pan
04-20-2006, 20:04
It amazes me how many different directions this thread has gone!

As for Little Springer, he's survived hiding in my pack while I hiked 14 miles on sunday, drove 2 hours to a hotel, slept overnight, drove 6 more hours to get home, slept another night, and then he was discovered on tuesday as I drove to work. He certainly has a will to live. He's alive and active eating the kitten meal replacement and having bowel movements as normal as can be. he will live under my care as a domestic pet from here out

Roamin'

Hope you and Springer can make it to Trail Days....Looking forward to meeting you both...

Pan

Skidsteer
04-20-2006, 20:15
Nah. I wrote this long post about how I ignored (http://www.atlantajugglers.org/6-29-04/pages/DSC_0005_JPG.htm) a homeless guy panhandling in Lil 5 Pts (http://www.l5p.com/)on Tuesday evening (http://www.atlantajugglers.org/meetings.htm)then on the way home stopped (http://www.walmart.com/)to buy over $20 worth of birdseed & what that said about how I spend my "resources and compassion".

But I ain't going there. Though you could speculate about how desperate someone's gotta be when they start panhandling these guys (http://www.atlantajugglers.org/6-29-04/pages/DSC_0022_JPG.htm).

Now that's more like it. Here's one (http://www.juggling.org/pics/Pics/felix.gif) you missed. And another one (http://www.geocities.com/possumzel/pics3/9starmo1.gif). And one for the road, even though it's corny (http://www.rubberstamp-world.co.uk/hmor1022_juggling_corn.jpg). :D

icemanat95
04-20-2006, 20:28
Normally, I would have said, just kill it and be done with it, but once you decided to keep it alive, you did the right things. Its GOT to be a pet now, as without its mother, it doesn't have a chance adapting to a wild life.

So good for you and I hope you enjoy your new pet.

I still would have killed it, but...you did the right thing for YOU and did it the right way.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-20-2006, 21:28
Hope you and Springer can make it to Trail Days....Looking forward to meeting you both...
We need a pic of Springer on a cat's back on a dog's back in the tent city. Seriously, the little guy / gal would be a star. Just don't let anyone who typed the word stomp during this exchange near him / her?

Skidsteer
04-20-2006, 21:46
We need a pic of Springer on a cat's back on a dog's back in the tent city. Seriously, the little guy / gal would be a star. Just don't let anyone who typed the word stomp during this exchange near him / her?

Yup. After that, take him to Billville, slap an eye patch on him. fit him with a fake pegleg and a thimble-full of rum.

Folks would be lining up for photo ops.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-20-2006, 22:20
:eek: Skidsteer, you can't feed a baby rum. He'll be having a thumble full of kitten milk replacer.

Skidsteer
04-20-2006, 22:27
:eek: Skidsteer, you can't feed a baby rum. He'll be having a thumble full of kitten milk replacer.

Sure we can. He'll be teething by then, right?(How soon do mice get their teeth, anyway?) We'll rub it on his gums.

mindi
04-21-2006, 00:12
I can't wait to see a picture of Springer...
I hope you aren't discouraged by some of the posts here...you're doing a great thing. Sounds like he's doing quite well! Are you sure he's a boy, though?
This is one reason why I'm taking a tent..I'm not going to stay in shelters where people are killing mice, nor am I looking forward to having them run all over me, either. Simple solution for me, set up my tent somewhere else.
:) Mindi

D'Artagnan
04-21-2006, 08:34
I have to admit, somewhat half-ashamedly, I've followed this thread since its inception and I initially thought it silly and a bit over-the-top. However, upon further reflection, I must admit that when I watched "The Green Mile" and Percy stomped Mr. Jingles (the mouse), I wanted to reach through the screen and throttle ol' Percy Wetmore within an inch of his life. I'm not sure I would have gone as far as Roamin' did, but I guess some part of me does acknowledge he did the right thing given the circumstances. (Another part of me has to admit I agree with LW, too. :D)

orangebug
04-21-2006, 09:03
I've been thinking about Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, recognizing that some people have a fondness for soft things.

Roamin', just don't start stroking any strange woman's hair.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-21-2006, 10:30
Sure we can. He'll be teething by then, right?(How soon do mice get their teeth, anyway?) We'll rub it on his gums. Damn you, Skidsteer, you made me do research on mice. If Springer is boy, he will just be entering adulthood about the time trail days starts - and I guess old enough to have a thumble full of rum after all. If Springer is a girl, she will be two weeks into adulthood and likely pregnant if she can find a male -- and therefore, no rum for her.

Roamin, the way to tell the sex of a young mouse - females have nipples after two weeks of age - males don't. Males have a dark spot where the scrotum will be later. The distance between the male's wee-wee and anus is greater than the same distance in females.

Lone Wolf
04-21-2006, 10:35
Speaking of vermin and rodents and such, here's some fun for the whole family. www.rockin7ranch.com/prairie_dog_hunting.html

D'Artagnan
04-21-2006, 11:07
Speaking of vermin and rodents and such, here's some fun for the whole family. www.rockin7ranch.com/prairie_dog_hunting.html (http://www.rockin7ranch.com/prairie_dog_hunting.html)

LMAO...Kinda reminds me of a carnival game we played as kids -- "Whack a Mole" -- or somthing like that. You were given a big mallet-like tool and when the mechanical mole popped its head out of a hole, you tried to whack it. Good times!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-21-2006, 11:11
Speaking of vermin and rodents and such, here's some fun for the whole family. www.rockin7ranch.com/prairie_dog_hunting.html (http://www.rockin7ranch.com/prairie_dog_hunting.html)L. Wolf made me do it: My Answer (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/WBad.jpg)

Lone Wolf
04-21-2006, 11:23
I don't care what you say, that's some funny s**t right there!:D

Skidsteer
04-21-2006, 11:31
L. Wolf made me do it: My Answer (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/WBad.jpg)

A true classic. I'll be laughing all day. Thanks.

And just when I had decided not to read or post anymore on this thread! :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-21-2006, 22:03
So when do we get a photo of little Springer? If you don't have a way to post one, PM me and I'll make it happen.

otterman
06-14-2006, 14:01
Sooo did this mouse make it to trail days?

Ridge
06-14-2006, 14:06
Please respect other Hikers. Keep your "Baby Mouse" out of water sources and leashed at all times.

buzzsaw
06-15-2006, 11:16
Please respect other Hikers. Keep your "Baby Mouse" out of water sources and leashed at all times.

Please do not let Springer chatter on a cell phone to his mice friends while at a shelter. He'll only tell them where our food bags are and ruin it for everyone.

Tell Springer to change his clothes and smoke his reefer behind the shelter.

Springer should also dig his catholes at least 2cm deep and pack out his toilet paper.

Lone Wolf
06-15-2006, 11:17
I bet little Springer is dead.

Ridge
06-15-2006, 11:20
Please bury at least 100 ft from the trail, spread leaves over the site, try to refrain from using same site in future.

otterman
06-15-2006, 11:28
I bet little Springer is dead.

I'm with you.