PDA

View Full Version : Wrong BEAR!!!

Jaybird
04-19-2006, 06:24
from Newschannel 5.com:

It appears the black bear captured over the weekend...is not the one that killed a 6-year-old child in East Tennessee.

Officials say the bear's tissue & hair samples will be tested further--but preliminary tests found that it was not the same bear.

The Petraysek family was visiting the Cherokee National Forest--when they were attacked last week in the Chilhowee Campgrounds.

Elora Petraysek was killed..her mother & two-year-old brother remain in critical condition in a Chattanooga hospital.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-19-2006, 06:53
That is sad, but I still think that removing a bear that has already killed and partially eaten a child from any opportunity to do it again needs to prevail over animal rights in this case. I do think the DNA testing on all captured bears hair should be done BEFORE any bear is euthanized to be sure they have captured the bear that killed the child. The hysteria discussed in other threads about this matter is likely the reason the bear was euthanized first and tested later.

Rain Man
04-19-2006, 10:06
Ahhhhhhh .... good ol hysteria and "shoot first and ask questions later" mentality in action. They are just compounding a tragedy.

Rain:sunMan

TN_Hiker
04-19-2006, 10:16
Latest update is they have captured another bear, but they are going to make sure about a DNA match before they kill this bear.

RockyTrail
04-19-2006, 10:44
That is sad, but I still think that removing a bear that has already killed and partially eaten a child from any opportunity to do it again needs to prevail over animal rights in this case. I do think the DNA testing on all captured bears hair should be done BEFORE any bear is euthanized to be sure they have captured the bear that killed the child. The hysteria discussed in other threads about this matter is likely the reason the bear was euthanized first and tested later.

I doubt it was hysteria if wildlife professionals were involved.
The article in post #81 of the following thread
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14368&page=5&highlight=bear+attack
says that the digestive tract was examined for evidence, however they say too much time may have passed to confirm (they didn't find anything).

I suspect that the first bear was killed to perform this (gut) check, any bear captured now would likey not have to be killed for a DNA check.

Ridge
04-19-2006, 16:00
.........I doubt it was hysteria if wildlife professionals were involved......

Hope these "professionals" are different than the "professionals" that did the prescribed/controlled burn at Los Alamos a few years back. 20,000 people had to be evacuated, not to mention all the acres/wildlife that was destroyed. Los Alamos is just a drop in the bucket in relation to all the screw-ups the "professionals" are responsible for.

neighbor dave
04-19-2006, 17:08
:-? are dey sure it wasn't cheney takin' pop shots at birds or sumptin??:jump

RockyTrail
04-19-2006, 17:20
Hope these "professionals" are different than the "professionals" that did the prescribed/controlled burn at Los Alamos a few years back. 20,000 people had to be evacuated, not to mention all the acres/wildlife that was destroyed. Los Alamos is just a drop in the bucket in relation to all the screw-ups the "professionals" are responsible for.

Yes indeed, that was quite a screw-up. I believe it was in the North end of Bandelier, a magnificent area.

The professionals I was referring to were DNR folks, the ones I have met do not seem to be the type that would do something out of hysteria.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-19-2006, 17:43
Perhaps hysteria was not the right word for the professionals' motivation in rushing to euthanize the bear. The push is on to get the bear that killed the child out of the woods so that the incident does not diminish the tourist flow any more than necessary. People are frightened and avoiding the area. Had human remains / clothing been found in the animal's digestive tract, they would have known (sooner than with DNA) that they had the right bear.

Blue Jay
04-19-2006, 18:44

Nope the same ones. Also the same as those who are after Bin Laudin. Also the same as those who are paid to help people during disasters. The list goes on and on. That's one of the many reasons to love the AT, very few professionals. I'll take drunk, snoring, dog dragging, cell phone yelling, hiker trash any day over a professional.

SGTdirtman
04-19-2006, 21:46
Its highly likely they killed the "wrong" bear they were searching for...

However, do you think they just roamed the woods untill they found any bear and killed it? No, they found another bear that was roaming the area with problematic behavior. It may have not attacked those people but when the area is in panic from bear attacks any bear in the area who shows signs of possibly being a problem by coming to close to humans or showing agressive behavior, its not a bad idea get rid of it (although idealy i dont mean killing it but that needs to happen sometimes).