PDA

View Full Version : The ole up and over

Ridge Rat
04-19-2006, 11:06
Ok, I was planning on running up and over Mt. Katahdin and getting out of the park in 1 day into the 100 mile woods. Is this do'able? How much distance am I actually looking to burn through to get out of the park and to free camping overnight? Has anyone done this before and have any tips on how much time is needed and such? I know its insane, but I am hiking on a budget and want to keep the start of the SOBO cheap if I can and save my money for furthur down the trail.
~Ridge Rat

Lone Wolf
04-19-2006, 11:33
Stealth camp. Lay down for the night like moose do.

weary
04-19-2006, 12:37
Ok, I was planning on running up and over Mt. Katahdin and getting out of the park in 1 day into the 100 mile woods. Is this do'able? How much distance am I actually looking to burn through to get out of the park and to free camping overnight? Has anyone done this before and have any tips on how much time is needed and such? I know its insane, but I am hiking on a budget and want to keep the start of the SOBO cheap if I can and save my money for furthur down the trail.
~Ridge Rat
Up and down Katahdin is around 11 miles with a 4,000 foot elevation gain, if I remember rightly. It's another nine miles to the park border at Abol Bridge. That's a lot of rugged miles for the first day. Anything is possible if you are in great shape. But it is nothing I would attempt, either now or at anytime over the years.

DawnTreader
04-19-2006, 13:02
I will also be going "up and over".. however I will be staying in the park, begining at Roaring Brook, and ending at katahdin stream campground, continuing south the next day. I do believe you can do it though.. as long as you get out of the park on the day you summit, you will easily be able to find somewhere to stealth. Weary's numbers are right.. and as I've heard, its a long 20 miles...IMO, I am going to be really really happy to be able to stop at Kahtadin stream for the night, so I would look into forking over the 18$ for the reservation, save money by skipping a town stop.. But thats ME:) I will be summiting on the 29th of JUNE....YOU?

chip B
04-19-2006, 13:35
maybe you can share the cost of the site in the park... when i stayed there in 2003 i cant remember what i paid but it was a welcome site after the climb that took me about 10 hours round trip

the goat
04-19-2006, 14:17
no sweat if you're in decent shape. as long as you get down K and still feel like hiking for 3 hours, you'll be fine. you don't have to carry your pack up katahdin either. also, it's pretty easy hiking terrain out of the park once you're done w/ katahdin.

fiddlehead
04-19-2006, 23:21
I did it to finish my hike but it would be tough to start one that way. You must be fit. Stealth camping would work though. good luck

Lion King
04-20-2006, 12:48
If you arent thru hiking, you can take the blue blaze which knocks off about 6 miles give or take, and that puts you at Abol pretty fast after the climb.
There are some awesome stealthy places by the falls and the river though on the AT...I camped there a few times...or did I????

As fiddle says, if you are already in good shape it wont be as big a deal, but if youre in Couchshape...good luck.

Katahdin dont play, up or down.:sun

Ridge Rat
04-20-2006, 14:14
Thanks for the Info, I still think I can do it. My only worry is carrying 10 days +/- of food and trying to make the distance, right now doing sectionals through PA on local portions of the AT I am averaging about 18-20 a day on crap terrain here in the local area. Though I am only carrying about 4 days worth of food with me. Anyhow, its an idea. Hoping to start July 1, or somewhere around there. Hope to see the other SOBO's sometime on the trail.