PDA

View Full Version : One more HH modification

stag3
04-19-2006, 13:04
Some months back I asked about adding a side entrance to my HH. Decided that was a bad idea.

How about this:-? I want to use the HH without the bug net, but I want it there just in case. So the plan is to cut the ridge line:eek: and add some quick connet "things" for reassembly. When I want the no bug net configuration, disconnect the ridge line and just flip the HH over. This would also be easier for just sitting around in the HH.

Tell me how this idea can go bad. As another WB'er told me "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

attroll
04-19-2006, 13:20
Some months back I asked about adding a side entrance to my HH. Decided that was a bad idea.

How about this:-? I want to use the HH without the bug net, but I want it there just in case. So the plan is to cut the ridge line:eek: and add some quick connet "things" for reassembly. When I want the no bug net configuration, disconnect the ridge line and just flip the HH over. This would also be easier for just sitting around in the HH.

Tell me how this idea can go bad. As another WB'er told me "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"
You can cut the netting off if you want. But I would not cut the ridgeline if I were you.

Footslogger
04-19-2006, 13:29
I'm curious ...why would you NOT want the netting ?? I realize that some seasons/areas are bug free but why cut it off ? Would you save that much weight. Or is the sole motivation being able to climb in from the side ??

Just curious. I don't think I'd ever cut the netting off my HH

'Slogger

stag3
04-19-2006, 13:49
No no, I'm not going to remove the bug net. The idea was to be able to just flip over the HH with the netting still attached (okay, some provision to keep the netting off the ground). The only change is to temporarly disconnect the ridgeline so the HH can be flipped. The plan is to reconnect the ridgeline and the HH will work just like the factory original model.

I think on a clear night it would be nice to be able to have a clear view of the sky. This has nothing to do with weight and nothing to do with my original side entry idea.

Footslogger
04-19-2006, 13:51
Gotcha ...let us know how it works out, if you end up making that modification. I remember many nights in south GA hanging between 2 trees just staring up at the stars and moon ...course that was through the netting.

'Slogger

attroll
04-19-2006, 13:52
Hmm. That is and interesting idea.

Just Jeff
04-19-2006, 14:00
Coy did something similar on the Yahoo group. He cut the ridgeline, tied a loop on each free end, then connected with something like a carabiner. I'm pretty sure the bugnet holds tight to the hammock and doesn't hang on the ground. Seems to work ok for him, although he did it to lengthen the ridgeline rather than to use it w/o the bugnet.

Crash
04-19-2006, 17:10
How about this:-? I want to use the HH without the bug net, but I want it there just in case. So the plan is to cut the ridge line:eek: and add some quick connet "things" for reassembly. When I want the no bug net configuration, disconnect the ridge line and just flip the HH over. This would also be easier for just sitting around in the HH."
I snapped the ridgeline a while back so now I have a new line that I can untie and use it upside down when I just want to hang out.
The best of both worlds.

attroll
04-20-2006, 00:22
Coy did something similar on the Yahoo group. He cut the ridgeline, tied a loop on each free end, then connected with something like a carabiner. I'm pretty sure the bugnet holds tight to the hammock and doesn't hang on the ground. Seems to work ok for him, although he did it to lengthen the ridgeline rather than to use it w/o the bugnet.
Jeff

Why did this person want to lengthen the ridgeline? What would you gain from that? I am curous. I have never heard of that.

Just Jeff
04-20-2006, 00:54
It was a hammock defect - the ridgeline was made too short. Rather than send it back, he just used a carabiner to lengthen it. Actually, I think he switched to one of those chain link connector things because it's lighter. Being able to use it without the ridgeline/bugnet was just a side effect of fixing the ridgeline.

attroll
04-20-2006, 01:26
It was a hammock defect - the ridgeline was made too short. Rather than send it back, he just used a carabiner to lengthen it. Actually, I think he switched to one of those chain link connector things because it's lighter. Being able to use it without the ridgeline/bugnet was just a side effect of fixing the ridgeline.
Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if I was missing out on something that I could benefit from.