PDA

View Full Version : Would you carry these??

A-Train
04-19-2006, 14:30
I know there are only like, oh, 5 of you here who've hiked the PCT and post regularly, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm leaving tomorrow and wonder whether I should start with any of the following:
Mosquito headnet
Pack cover
flip flops

Can I get away with sending the headnet to Kennedy Meadows and the packcover to Washington or should I have either or both from Campo? Also were flipflops/camp shoes worth their weight, or should I just wear my sneakers all the time/ Thanks for any insight

Mags
04-19-2006, 15:06
I know there are only like, oh, 5 of you here who've hiked the PCT and post regularly, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm leaving tomorrow and wonder whether I should start with any of the following:
Mosquito headnet
Pack cover
flip flops

Can I get away with sending the headnet to Kennedy Meadows and the packcover to Washington or should I have either or both from Campo? Also were flipflops/camp shoes worth their weight, or should I just wear my sneakers all the time/ Thanks for any insight

Personally (and that is they key word here), I think you don't need the headnet until KM. I kept mine the whole way out of sheer laziness (did not want to swap in and out gear other than my ice axe).

Flip Flops is a personal preference. I don't use campshoes..but I also don't move around much in camp. Do you think you'll be spending much time in camp? Do you desire the comfort? I've posted this link before..perhaps you find it of use:
http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

Finally, I'd take a packcover of some sort. It is high desert afterall, and it could snow in the higher elevations of the San Jacinto's or San Gabs (happened to me!). At lower elevations, the snow became rain.

I actually use a pack liner..a Hefy bag that is .625 oz.

erichlf
04-19-2006, 15:14
Personally (and that is they key word here), I think you don't need the headnet until KM. I kept mine the whole way out of sheer laziness (did not want to swap in and out gear other than my ice axe).

Flip Flops is a personal preference. I don't use campshoes..but I also don't move around much in camp. Do you think you'll be spending much time in camp? Do you desire the comfort? I've posted this link before..perhaps you find it of use:
http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

Finally, I'd take a packcover of some sort. It is high desert afterall, and it could snow in the higher elevations of the San Jacinto's or San Gabs (happened to me!). At lower elevations, the snow became rain.

I actually use a pack liner..a Hefy bag that is .625 oz.

Definately agree! There is really no need for a head net while in the desert.
Pack cover is touch and go. With current weather conditions it may be usefull even in the desert at this point. It has been raining quite a bit lately. However I use a pack liner and so I wouldn't need one. Pack liners like a trash compactor bags are lighter weight, so that is what I prefer. Also, it is very rainy across Oregon depending on the time of the year. During August it will be very dry, but it begins to rain more and more as fall progresses. I would say go for the pack liner it will only weigh 2oz.

downhill
04-19-2006, 17:44
unless you have big tough hobbit feet, yeah the camp shoes are worth it. also it lets your boots air out.

sierraDoug
04-26-2006, 01:38
unless you have big tough hobbit feet, yeah the camp shoes are worth it. also it lets your boots air out.
"Boots? What are boots, Captain Kirk?"

fiddlehead
04-26-2006, 02:44
I'd carry a pack cover after KM. only
Same with the bug net.
no camp shoes. The trail is often sand and i didn't get sore feet or a need for camp shoes. up to you of course.