PDA

View Full Version : Hijacked Threads and Negitive Post.

C_Brice
04-19-2006, 14:30
This site is was of the greatest sites on the web for gear and hiking info. But all to often threads on here are hijacked by LNT'ers, Anti-dog, Anti-Gun, Anti-Knife, etc. type crowds.

A recent thread on this site had LittleLaurel59 taking a group 20 boyscouts on a hiking/camping trip. The very next two responses were concernig LNT and how that is too many in a group. This guy is doing these boys/young men a great service and all some can do is point out a negitive. Gee, lets draw straws to see which of these boys stay home and play video games all weekend. Does that make sense to anyone? Bravo LittleLaurel59 and if you can, I say take 20 more! LNT be damned!

I responded in the above thread with a smart ass comment meant to poke fun these LTN Guru's. A comment that was completly absurd. But not much more so than the LNT threads concerning group size. My was just on a 180 degree tangent to thiers.

Another thread was concerning Knife vs. Multi-tool. I posted that I always carry a 5" Kabar and that most outdoor/survival experts include a knife as a required tool. The thread boomed into a bunch of post battling both sides of the issue. Comment's like, "that knife is only meant to kill" and "who are you planning on killing" were the norm. No one cared to refute my comments or talk about why they carried what they do. They just jumped with ill fated and uninformed comments.

All of us could point out hijacked threads on these various subjects.

So in the future when you see a comment of mine that seems way out in "right" field look up a few post and you will likely see an absurd post that is way out in "left" feild and posted by an eviromentalist, a LNT'er, an anti-dog/anti-knife/anti-gun person or something like them.

Personally I think off topic post, negitive post and hijacking post should be deleted. Lets face it, the guy starting a thread asking how much his dog can comfortably carry does not need to deal with comments like "trail dogs suck" or "your dog gets near me I'll kick it" comments. When I see comments like these you can expect I will soon posting.

Enjoy
CB

the goat
04-19-2006, 14:37
keep your guns, knives, dogs and boyscouts at home. they all suck, and if they get near me, i'll kick them!:D

bulldog49
04-19-2006, 14:54
This site is was of the greatest sites on the web for gear and hiking info. But all to often threads on here are hijacked by LNT'ers, Anti-dog, Anti-Gun, Anti-Knife, etc. type crowds.

CB

I agree Brice. You could also add hammock and alchol stove users the list of zealots who insert themselves into any discussion of tents or gas stoves.

Mags
04-19-2006, 14:56
T
No one cared to refute my comments or talk about why they carried what they do. They just jumped with ill fated and uninformed comments.

Gotta disagree.

I politely said why *my* reasons for taking a large knife on the *AT* does not make sense.

You are welcome to look a the original thread. My answers were well thought out, did not ridicule you (though I did make fun of the fact the people claimed that the average person could ward off a grizzly bear...on the AT no less. :) )

Me thinks you doth protest too much...

doobe01
04-19-2006, 15:00
keep your guns, knives, dogs and boyscouts at home. they all suck, and if they get near me, i'll kick them!:D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...That was great!!!

Nice post CB, I do not post much but I read everything and all too often I see threads being hijacked by people that need to spout off their opinions, which is fine, but it is only an opinion and that is all. Everybody does things a little different than the other and it is very naive to think there is only one way to do things right. It is all about the experience and how you get it done should not matter. Like the saying says, "Hike your own Hike."

Carpe Diem,
Nick

Mags
04-19-2006, 15:10
H different than the other and it is very naive to think there is only one way to do things right. It is all about the experience and how you get it done should not matter. Like the saying says, "Hike your own Hike."

I think many thin skinned people misconstrue different opinions as personal attacks. As a wise woman , known as "Mom" to me, said way too often "It is not what you say, it is how you say it".

Yeah..sometimes people can get personal..but man, anytime there is a disagreement, some people get upset.

Maybe it is the culture I grew up in...but I think a healthy debate is a good thing.

weary
04-19-2006, 15:18

A recent thread on this site had LittleLaurel59 taking a group 20 boyscouts on a hiking/camping trip. The very next two responses were concernig LNT and how that is too many in a group. This guy is doing these boys/young men a great service and all some can do is point out a negitive. Gee, lets draw straws to see which of these boys stay home and play video games all weekend. Does that make sense to anyone? Bravo LittleLaurel59 and if you can, I say take 20 more! LNT be damned!

I responded in the above thread with a smart ass comment meant to poke fun these LTN Guru's. A comment that was completly absurd. But not much more so than the LNT threads concerning group size. My was just on a 180 degree tangent to thiers.

Another thread was concerning Knife vs. Multi-tool. I posted that I always carry a 5" Kabar and that most outdoor/survival experts include a knife as a required tool. The thread boomed into a bunch of post battling both sides of the issue. Comment's like, "that knife is only meant to kill" and "who are you planning on killing" were the norm. No one cared to refute my comments or talk about why they carried what they do. They just jumped with ill fated and uninformed comments.

So in the future when you see a comment of mine that seems way out in "right" field look up a few post and you will likely see an absurd post that is way out in "left" feild and posted by an eviromentalist, a LNT'er, an anti-dog/anti-knife/anti-gun person or something like them.

Personally I think off topic post, negitive post and hijacking post should be deleted. Lets face it, the guy starting a thread asking how much his dog can comfortably carry does not need to deal with comments like "trail dogs suck" or "your dog gets near me I'll kick it" comments. When I see comments like these you can expect I will soon posting Enjoy CB
Well, you express some useful comments. But it depends on your definition of "hiking information." As I've argued before "Leave no trace" is a less effective message than the older and blunter, "Carry in, Carry out." But LNT is the official guideline of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, and without ATC's leadership the trail wouldn't exist. REminders of LNT certainly qualifies as hiking information. Without such reminders the trail becomes a linear garbage pit, which quite frankly it was in the 70s with far fewer users than today.

As for the environmental comments. Again, the trail is part of the environment. There is no logical way to separate the general environment from the trail environment. The same pollution plumes effect both. The changing weather patterns inherent in climate change equally changes the trail weather. If anything the trail is more impacted by environmental insults than our cities. Acid rain kills trees and high elevation lakes, ponds and streams.

Weary

doobe01
04-19-2006, 15:18
I think many thin skinned people misconstrue different opinions as personal attacks. As a wise woman , known as "Mom" to me, said way too often "It is not what you say, it is how you say it".

Yeah..sometimes people can get personal..but man, anytime there is a disagreement, some people get upset.

Maybe it is the culture I grew up in...but I think a healthy debate is a good thing.

I agree with your Mom..."it is how you say it", many people like you said cannot handle it and retaliate with childish remarks that totally have nothing to do with the threads intent. This is what I was referring to, when threads get thrown off course and start turning into a s&*t throwing contest. I agree with your post. Debate is wonderful if it is conducted in a suitable manner. Some people are hard-headed though and think that their way is most definetly the right way. I don't disagree with anything you are saying, maybe we are saying the same thing. It is all about how we are saying it..LOL. :D

Alligator
04-19-2006, 15:34
WELL MY DOG SLEEPS IN A HAMMOCK AND I COOK HIS FOOD ON A DOG FOOD STOVE. HE POOPS WHEREVER HE LIKES. I'D TRY AND CLEAN UP AFTER HIM BUT HE ALWAYS WHIPS OUT HIS PISTOL AND SAYS "LEAVE IT BE, I AM PART OF NATURE." ONE OF THESE DAYS I'M JUST GOING TO KNIFE HIM. I WOULDN'T MIND THE GUN PER SE, BUT HE KEEPS IT ON THE RIDGELINE OF HIS HAMMOCK WITH THE SAFETY OFF. I JUST SLEEP IN THE SHELTER WHERE I CAN SNORE IN PRIVATE. HE'S NOT EXACTLY COMPANY BUT HE HATES BOY SCOUTS. AS LONG AS HE'S STEALING THEIR FOOD AND MAKING MESSES ON THEIR BAGS I SAY LIVE AND LET LIVE. DARN DOG ALWAYS WANTS TO DISCUSS POLITICS THOUGH, GET THE PEOPLE TOGETHER AND BUY THIS FREE MARKET THAT. A REAL LIBERALATARIAN. I TRY TO GET HIM DRUNK EARLY THEN WE CAN BOTH JUST HOWL AT THE MOON.

What's this thread about? Oh yeah, it takes two to tango.

doobe01
04-19-2006, 15:39
WELL MY DOG SLEEPS IN A HAMMOCK AND I COOK HIS FOOD ON A DOG FOOD STOVE. HE POOPS WHEREVER HE LIKES. I'D TRY AND CLEAN UP AFTER HIM BUT HE ALWAYS WHIPS OUT HIS PISTOL AND SAYS "LEAVE IT BE, I AM PART OF NATURE." ONE OF THESE DAYS I'M JUST GOING TO KNIFE HIM. I WOULDN'T MIND THE GUN PER SE, BUT HE KEEPS IT ON THE RIDGELINE OF HIS HAMMOCK WITH THE SAFETY OFF. I JUST SLEEP IN THE SHELTER WHERE I CAN SNORE IN PRIVATE. HE'S NOT EXACTLY COMPANY BUT HE HATES BOY SCOUTS. AS LONG AS HE'S STEALING THEIR FOOD AND MAKING MESSES ON THEIR BAGS I SAY LIVE AND LET LIVE. DARN DOG ALWAYS WANTS TO DISCUSS POLITICS THOUGH, GET THE PEOPLE TOGETHER AND BUY THIS FREE MARKET THAT. A REAL LIBERALATARIAN. I TRY TO GET HIM DRUNK EARLY THEN WE CAN BOTH JUST HOWL AT THE MOON.

ROFL...THE DOG ALSO HAS A PET BEAR WHO IS A VEGAN...

Alligator
04-19-2006, 15:48
ROFL...THE DOG ALSO HAS A PET BEAR WHO IS A VEGAN...
A MACROBIOTIC NO LESS. EVERYTIME I COOK UP THE DOG'S FOOD SHE HAS TO SAY SOMETHING FOR CHRIST SAKES. THAT'S JUST WHAT I SAY TOO "CHRIST SAKES!". THEN LITTLE SPRINGER POPS OUT OF MY POCKET AND GIVES ME A LECTURE ABOUT JESUS. EVER SINCE HE'S BEEN SAVED THAT'S ALL I EVER HEAR. "SINNER, SINNER, SINNER". I'D SQUASH HIM BUT THE BEAR'S A MEMBER OF PETA AND SHE'S ADOPTED THE LITTLE GUY.

max patch
04-19-2006, 15:50
CB

I think your thread just got hijacked.....

C_Brice
04-19-2006, 15:59
I too agree with your Mom. But there is also "where you say it". These hijackers should feel free to create all the threads they want and say "Trail dogs suck". But someone elses thread is not the place to do it.

Mags,
Agreed. If I remember right you were one of the few who stated reasons for your position. I may not agree with them but.....

Not to hijack my own thread..... While I would NEVER want to go up against a bear with a knife and on the other thread didn't even come close to arguing that point, check this out:
http://forums.sixgunner.com/Gene_Moe%2c_Th.../m_45486/tm.htm

Tougher 59 year old than I will ever be!

CB

C_Brice
04-19-2006, 16:00
Hijacked yes, but for the most part, FUNNY AS HELL!

LMAO

CB

Heater
04-19-2006, 16:09

Problem is... when the mut gets drunk, he starts text messaging me on my tracfone. I pay by the minute, dammit!

orangebug
04-19-2006, 16:22
Would the mut suckle the orphan mouse?

Frosty
04-19-2006, 16:23
Gotta disagree.

I politely said why *my* reasons for taking a large knife on the *AT* does not make sense.

You are absolutely right in this case, but I can see the speakers point in general. It is impossible to discuss certain topics here on whiteblaze because others hijack the thread with off-topic rants, and effectively keep the original poster from getting answers to his question. If he asks for advice on carry for dog's paws while thruhiking, for instance, telling him dogs don't belong on the trail is off topic and rude.

In another fairly recent for instance, GPS enthusiasts it seems cannot discuss use of a GPS without a bunch of people telling them they don't need a GPS, and not only listing reasons why not, but telling them they could not possibly enjoy hiking with a GPS. Maybe they don't need one, but they want to use one and should be allowed to discuss various aspects of GPSing, stc without rude people telling them they shouldn't and are not having the fun that they think they are having. The topic (in this hypothetical case) is not whether GPSs are necessary or not, but (say) internal map features.

The same goes for tents, as we all know.

My 2 cents.

ps As far as dogs go, dogs are useful on the trail to chase away grizzlies. Without dogs, we'd have to use our knives to ward them off long enough to use our cell phones to call for help.

brpgsm
04-19-2006, 16:28
way out in "left" feild and posted by an eviromentalist, a LNT'er, an anti-dog/anti-knife/anti-gun person or something like them.

Typical GOP'er, anything outside their narrow point of view is discredited and deemed offensive.

My right to dislike your dog-knife-gun is just as justified as your right to enjoy those pursuits, my ability to see both sides is the distinction.

Alligator
04-19-2006, 16:33
Problem is... when the mut gets drunk, he starts text messaging me on my tracfone. I pay by the minute, dammit!
'FIL UP MY WTR BL'
"DOG, I'M RIGHT HERE. YOU KNOW I CAN HEAR YOU. FILL UP YOUR OWN WATER BLADDER. LAY OFF THE PHONE."
'BOWL. STPD'
"STP? WHADDYA MEAN, WE USE HEET."
'U STUPID. U C LEGY BOY SCTS ;)'
"QUIT THE NASTY TALK AND HANG UP DOG."

Mags
04-19-2006, 16:38
While I would NEVER want to go up against a bear with a knife and on the other thread didn't even come close to arguing that point, check this

I still think a knife is pretty useless to fight off a GRIZZLY on the AT. Contrary to Bill Bryson's book cover. ;)

Heater
04-19-2006, 16:45
"QUIT THE NASTY TALK AND HANG UP DOG."

You need to have a serious talk with Rover. He is text messaging me again.
Something about scratching his belly and humping my leg... maybe I should change my cologne.
:eek:

Alligator
04-19-2006, 16:57
You need to have a serious talk with Rover. He is text messaging me again.
Something about scratching his belly and humping my leg... maybe I should change my cologne.
:eek:
And I though he just wanted to camp out at Crawford. Sly Dog.

Disney
04-19-2006, 17:04

ROFLMFAO

Shouldn't this be in hiking humor?

In all seriousness, taking 20 boyscouts out and LNT be damned? I've got to disagree. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but shouldn't the boyscouts learn to pick up after themselves? In fact, the scout troops I've seen, at least the good ones, pick up more than they left. On the outside chance that the question was asked by someone who did not practice LNT, is it not a good idea to bring it up? I might be crazy though, I thought the above post was one of the funniest things I've ever seen posted here.

Heater
04-19-2006, 17:10
And I though he just wanted to camp out at Crawford. Sly Dog.Well, this will have to do for now.

Sly
04-19-2006, 17:15
Shouldn't this be in hiking humor?

More like "Whiner of the Week".

Alligator
04-19-2006, 17:24
Bear's Always On My Case About My Trekking Poles. I Tell Her My Knees Are Bad. She Says "little Holes Everywhere, Eroding The Trail, Clickety Clickety Clack, Yak Yak Yak". Finally I Had Enough, I Said 'your Four Paws Do Worse Damage You Big Fat Sow!"

Damn I'm Glad Lekis Are Collapsible. She Can Sprout Her Own Beans From Now On Too, I Ain't Carrying No More Nalgenes.

Uncle Silly
04-19-2006, 17:28
ps As far as dogs go, dogs are useful on the trail to chase away grizzlies. Without dogs, we'd have to use our knives to ward them off long enough to use our cell phones to call for help.

I totally agree, Frosty! Every one of the grizzlies I met on the trail last year took off runnin' scared when my dog barked at them.

(internegators: remember that the above was said with sarcasm.)

In all seriousness, taking 20 boyscouts out and LNT be damned? I've got to disagree. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but shouldn't the boyscouts learn to pick up after themselves?

I think the issue was more of "20 is too big a group" (to truly comply with LNT). I tend to agree; the solution, obviously, is to split into two or more smaller groups and take each group on a separate trip. It's really not that hard to figure out or accomplish.

C_Brice
04-19-2006, 17:28
Posted by brpgsm:
"Typical GOP'er, anything outside their narrow point of view is discredited and deemed offensive.

My right to dislike your dog-knife-gun is just as justified as your right to enjoy those pursuits, my ability to see both sides is the distinction."

You are the first one to not get what this thread is about. It has nothing to do with politics. If you want to debate politics that fine. As a matter of fact I can feel another thread starting in my head. You may not agree with things I say on it and I am betting you will post a response. Feel free to do so. But when you do come up with something better than "Typical GOP'er".

Statement's like that is exactly the kind of post that this thread was started about. Bring some idea's to the next one because your post here has none.

CB

prozac
04-19-2006, 17:32
C. Brice, I agree with you some threads have been "hijacked" in the past but your boyscout example is a poor one at best. The following two posts you speak of were not negative in my opinion but constuctive. No attempt was made to hijack this thread and in fact it continued on nicely. Boyscouts strike a bad nerve with some hikers do to poor leadership by a small minority of troop leaders. Most troop leaders do an excellent job but it can be frustrating to arrive at a shelter and find it occupied by a large number of boy scouts with a gigantic fire fueled mostly by trash and items they no longer wish to carry. This scene is rare nowadays tho and the Scouts are to be commended for the wonderful job they do overall. On the plus side, they always have way too much food and I am always thankfull for a little free grub I didn't have to hump.

Mags
04-19-2006, 17:47
Bear's Always On My Case About My Trekking Poles. I Tell Her My Knees Are Bad. She Says "little Holes Everywhere, Eroding The Trail, Clickety Clickety Clack, Yak Yak Yak". Finally I Had Enough, I Said 'your Four Paws Do Worse Damage You Big Fat Sow!"

Damn I'm Glad Lekis Are Collapsible. She Can Sprout Her Own Beans From Now On Too, I Ain't Carrying No More Nalgenes.

Ya know...if you wore a black beret and said this with some bad jazz music, it could be beat poetry! >SNAP<

I'll give it a whirl:

Phones ringing, hysterical, best minds of my generation on Blackberry while hiking >SNAP<
Dogs off leash, peeing in water, hikers drinking water unfiltered >SNAP<
Silynlon clad hikers lighting their alcohol stoves to cook their Lipton's in the shelter tonight >SNAP<

Etc..etc.

C_Brice
04-19-2006, 17:55
Very good post prozac and I can see your point of veiw on this being a weak example. Maybe brpgsm and others can look at it as an example.

In response lets just say there has been an accumulated affect on my mind of posts with zero thought applied and obviously backed by agenda's. They are often expressed with one liners that have nothing to do with the original thread.

You've see on the other thread where I posted an off-color, zero thought, agenda driven response that apparently was quite an irritant to some. The people who are most irritated are the one's who have been doing the same concerning the subjects I brought up at the begining of the thread.

Example?
Posted by Sly:
"More like "Whiner of the Week"."

Mission Acomplished. You'll see more post like mine.

CB

SGTdirtman
04-19-2006, 18:35
Knives are legal on the trail... guns and dogs arent :p

brpgsm
04-19-2006, 19:14
It has nothing to do with politics.

Really...your creative use of the quotation marks below betray your political denial.

seems way out in "right" field look up a few post and you will likely see an absurd post that is way out in "left" feild and posted by an eviromentalist, a LNT'er, an anti-dog/anti-knife/anti-gun person or something like them

You start an overtly political thread, quasi-disguised as a "thread hijack" discussion then quibble over semantic distinctions. Please continue posting as you have done. I look forward to observing where you instability takes you next.

brpgsm
04-19-2006, 19:30
L. Wolf.......

don't forget the anti-dog nazis.

And for you guys against Ann Coulter and her ideas........

you need to come up with arguements/ideas that actually hold water before you start

Ann Coulter! If I knew you liked Ann Coulter, I wouldn't have said anything derogatory towards you. Geeze, now I feel bad. She displayed a new eye patch on Hannity last night...did you see it?? I looked good on her.l

Alligator
04-19-2006, 20:17
Ya know...if you wore a black beret and said this with some bad jazz music, it could be beat poetry! >SNAP<

I'll give it a whirl:

Phones ringing, hysterical, best minds of my generation on Blackberry while hiking >SNAP<
Dogs off leash, peeing in water, hikers drinking water unfiltered >SNAP<
Silynlon clad hikers lighting their alcohol stoves to cook their Lipton's in the shelter tonight >SNAP<

Etc..etc.

Curved hammock, alone, swaying to a moon lit breeze >SNAP<
Restless face, Hillary, silhouetted by the light of pale headlamp>SNAP<
Long spoon probing for Ramen in a sleek Jetboil pot >SNAP<

Alligator
04-19-2006, 20:19
Ann Coulter! If I knew you liked Ann Coulter, I wouldn't have said anything derogatory towards you. Geeze, now I feel bad. She displayed a new eye patch on Hannity last night...did you see it?? I looked good on her.l
She's a gettin' ready for Billville. She's a gonna make Baltimore Jack her cabin boy.

Skidsteer
04-19-2006, 20:21
Curved hammock, alone, swaying to a moon lit breeze >SNAP<
Restless face, Hillary, silhouetted by the light of pale headlamp>SNAP<
Long spoon probing for Ramen in a sleek Jetboil pot >SNAP<

AARRRRRRGH! How am I gonna get that out of my head?

Skyline
04-19-2006, 21:05
A group of 20 Boy Scouts plus leaders is just too large. It not only violates LNT, but also the regs and/or guidelines of many Parks--for good reason.

But none of those kids needs to stay home and play video games all weekend.

Just divide the kids into two, possibly three, groups and hike/camp in different places. Not enough leaders for that? Take the smaller groups on different weekends.

hikerjohnd
04-19-2006, 23:24
Would the mut suckle the orphan mouse?

that's the funniest thing i've read in a long time...

Flirty
04-20-2006, 00:49
Alligator & AusTex (oh and can't forget Mags poetry), I love your humor!

Hijacked threads"? Is that what it's called when the posts go 180 degrees from the original question? Cool, learned something new. Well then I've been dealing with that all my life: water cooler conversations, talks across the dinner table, telephone conversations. You ever, even once in your life, had to stop in mid-sentence and ask "Now how in the hell did we get on THIS topic?" (hopefully it's not just me). And even in person conversations can turn to name-calling: "You are so STUPID, that's NOT what Mom said!" (or better yet, imagine a holiday family visit with the liberal uncle and the conservative grandfather arguing again over who won the election).

Even within hijacked threads, some dear soul is responding to the original post, or helping with further opinions, clarifications. Eventually the dissemination of experience, wisdom, advice abounds throughout this site. The quips, sarcasm, humor make it all more interesting.

Disney
04-20-2006, 01:44
Really...your creative use of the quotation marks below betray your political denial.

You start an overtly political thread, quasi-disguised as a "thread hijack" discussion then quibble over semantic distinctions. Please continue posting as you have done. I look forward to observing where you instability takes you next.

You respond to such quibbling over quotation marks.

attroll
04-20-2006, 02:25

Personally I think off topic post, negitive post and hijacking post should be deleted. Lets face it, the guy starting a thread asking how much his dog can comfortably carry does not need to deal with comments like "trail dogs suck" or "your dog gets near me I'll kick it" comments. When I see comments like these you can expect I will soon posting.

Enjoy
CB

There is no real easy way to control threads from gettting hyjacked. Thats is the nature of forums. Well there is a way but it requires heavy moderation. This is something we are trying to avoid. Usually the threads do get back on track. But then again sometimes they do not. My advise and as noted in the forum descriptions. If you want to post a thread and do not want it to get hyjacked and just want straight answers without any bull. Then post the question in the "Straight and Forward" forums. This forum is moderated and only allows the threads to stay on topic.

woodsy
04-20-2006, 06:59
c.brice,
So what does burning tires (polluting the air)in your pasture have to do with a boy scout excursion?Thread Hijacker !

Gray Blazer
04-20-2006, 08:00
I say hijack the threads,@#$% the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Local
04-20-2006, 08:56
Hi, Jack. (A short short story.)

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o =""></o>
“It’s just not the same,” she says, and looks at me with those clear blue eyes I’ve dreamed about on the trail. “You can’t just walk back in and expect things to be like they were. I can’t just say, ‘Hi, Jack, I’m glad you’re here,’ because I’m not. I’m not glad you’re here.”
She steps back to avoid my clumsy attempt to embrace her. This is a surprise to me, something I didn’t expect, and I’m not sure what to do. “Why?” I ask. “What’s happened? I finished the trail early to be back with you. I pushed hard to make it like I said I would, to complete something, to take time to think about things, about us. What’s wrong?”
She steps back again, further away from me now. “You know what’s wrong,” she says, and her look is not the warm, soft radiance I have thought of sleeping in shelters surrounded by strangers. Her look is cold, rejecting. “You know what’s wrong, or maybe I should say you know who is wrong. Yes, I missed you too, at first, so much that I went up to Hot Springs to surprise you, but I was late and you had gone on through. But when I asked about you the answer I got was not just about you, but about you and someone else, Digger and Daisy, yes, they’re some couple, I was told.”
I feel a coldness rush through me, another reality intruding into this world I had left behind. It was just a trail relationship, someone to share the joy of the hike with, something we both knew was temporary. And now it was here in the room with me. “But that was just…” I begin, but she turns away from me.
“No,” she says. “Don’t try to explain. I saw you in Damascus. I went there because I had to know, and when you two came through I saw you. Don’t try to explain. Just go away. Leave me. Goodbye, Jack. Leave.”

soad
04-20-2006, 09:26
This crybaby doesn't care about hijacked threads, he just can't stand other people who disagree with him. Time to get out of grade school Chrissy.

Blue Jay
04-20-2006, 20:13
Personally I think off topic post, negitive post and hijacking post should be deleted.

Personally I think POSTS that are not made in the english language should be deleted (not really). Actually I think cry babies who want POSTS deleted should go back to Knitting.com.

Pacific Tortuga
04-20-2006, 20:27
c.brice,

So what does burning tires (polluting the air)in your pasture have to do with a boy scout excursion?Thread Hijacker !

This thread is now moved to bear attacks
:banana

Heater
04-20-2006, 20:39
This thread is now moved to bear attacks
:banana

...and the bear attacks thread has been moved to the mouse in a stuffsack thread.

MOWGLI
04-20-2006, 20:44
... and the mouse in the stuffsack thread has been moved to the abandoned dogs thread.

And so it goes...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-20-2006, 21:23
Sweet mother of pearl... I can't decide which is the biggest trainwreck - this thread, the thread on the baby mouse or the bear thread(s). This place is certainly entertaining (I gave some non-hiking friends links to these threads and they LTAO), but it is getting to where I have to go to other sites to get hiking information.

blindeye
04-20-2006, 21:52
i would hope service animals don't fall into the " trail dogs suck" category!!

Just Jeff
04-20-2006, 22:07
What about service mice with cell phones?

blindeye
04-20-2006, 22:17
o.k. i'll clarify, i hope there are no complaints about seeing eye dogs.

Skidsteer
04-20-2006, 22:22
o.k. i'll clarify, i hope there are no complaints about seeing eye dogs.

OK by me. :sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-20-2006, 22:24
So my service tranchula will be welcomed with open arms at the shelters?

MOWGLI
04-20-2006, 22:45
... but it is getting to where I have to go to other sites to get hiking information.

Hiking? :-? What's that? :confused:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-20-2006, 22:49
Hiking is the really neat thing where you go walk in the woods with a cell phone, your dog, a boom box.

Flirty
04-20-2006, 23:16
Hiking is the really neat thing where you go walk in the woods with a cell phone, your dog, a boom box.

You left out the gun, knife, bear spray and extra stuff sak, just in case a home is needed for a wayward mouse (not moose).

DawnTreader
04-20-2006, 23:26
Hiking? :-? What's that? :confused: <--------Mowgli16...right on man.. right on..
this is our problem.. we are not hiking...we are typing....and we are all getting antsy.. nobody has any gear list questions??? Let talk about the Mapdana again, that was fun for a while... The Timothy Treadwell thread was intereting....wanna start talkin' abou that again?? Is it June yet??
SOUTHBOUND

Flirty
04-20-2006, 23:39
I'm hiking the Lost Pines Trail this weekend! Does that count?

sliderule
04-20-2006, 23:43
I still think a knife is pretty useless to fight off a GRIZZLY on the AT. ;)

I have for sale a knife which is absolutely guaranteed, when used according to the instructions, to prevent grizzly attacks on the AT. For a limited time, this knife will be available at a substantial discount to Whiteblaze members (or anyone who can spell WB.)

Since the knife comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty, anyone killed by a grizzly on the AT will be entitled to a new knife at no charge, provided that they comply with the terms of the warranty within 48 hours of their death. (This 48 hour grace period is only available to WB members; for anyone else, the Limited Lifetime Warranty expires when you do. )

Order with confidence. In actual use, my knife has a 100% succes rate; not a single AT hiker has been attacked by a grizzly while carrying this incredible knife.

Sorry, not available in Montana, Wyoming or Idaho. Also guaranteed against polar bears in all 50 states, except Alaska.

Gray Blazer
04-21-2006, 12:37
Noone at this site would hijack a thread.......how 'bout that Swedish Bikini Backpacking Team?!?

Just Jeff
04-21-2006, 13:56
They'll be here for about another week...I'll let you know when they leave.

More details to follow...gotta go make them breakfast (small price to pay).

leeki pole
04-21-2006, 14:47
(ssshhhhh....don't tell anybody.....baby Springer is really a RAT) :cool: