PDA

View Full Version : Impassble sections of Jersey AT with small dog?

Mr. Obvious
04-20-2006, 00:36
Hello . Newbie here.. simple question
Planning a section hike of the entire state of NJ.. I have a small dog, wondering if there are any sections of the trail in Jersey that would be impassable with a small dog. He's a jack russell,mini doxi... The last thing i want to do is have to turn around because of a sheer rock wall he couldn't climb or we couldn't lift him up..

Any thoughts?.. Thanks for your time..

MR. Obvious.

saimyoji
04-20-2006, 00:51
The only place I found impassable was over the Dunnfield Creek at DWG. But that was last fall, the bridge may be repaired by now.

There are places as you circle SFP that your dog may find tricky.

The biggest problem you'll find will be other hikers that don't like you dog on their trail.

Good luck!

Mr. Obvious
04-20-2006, 01:05
I don't understand the animosity towards dogs? ( maybe their are other threads here?).... I'm not overly worried about this, but i'd rather avoid a confrontation if i could.... He's a small guy, friendly , always with his tounge hanging while on the trail ( unless he's eating ) , he even knows to do his deeds off the trail.....

RITBlake
04-20-2006, 01:24
I don't understand the animosity towards dogs? ( maybe their are other threads here?).... I'm not overly worried about this, but i'd rather avoid a confrontation if i could.... He's a small guy, friendly , always with his tounge hanging while on the trail ( unless he's eating ) , he even knows to do his deeds off the trail.....

some people have had bad experiences with getting bittten or chased by dogs, having wet dogs climb on their sleeping bags inside the shelter, having to step around dog waste in the trail etc...

personally it doesn't bother me, but you will find people out there on the trail that are sensitive about dogs. A lot of people in the hiking community share the idea that dogs dont step inside the shelter, esp if they are wet. But if you're hiking in jersey you probably won't see a ton of other people out there, and you have a small dog so I would say you have nothing to worry about, have fun!

Mr. Obvious
04-20-2006, 01:47
ah... thanks for the heads up.. I figured as such with the shelters.. I figure he's off limits sans a deluge of rain in any shelter. He sleeps down in my bag between my feet..
I figure it has a lot to do with the rules of leashing ?..
I do let him off the leash when possible, which i realize is in direct violation of the rules... But I do leash him when I see any animal or person? .. What's the consensus on this thought.?

Mr. Obvious, just thinkin here'
Happy hiking.....

blitz134
04-20-2006, 10:34
Consensus, hahaha...good luck...the flood gates probably just opened on this thread..

Take your dog if that makes the trip enjoyable for you, but be courteous of others...most on the trail will have no problem...but there are always those that might...

SGTdirtman
04-20-2006, 10:57
theres a few places you may have to carry a dog that small, south of the high point rangers station there is a nearly vertical climb, and somewhere around crater lake theres a "wall" those places may or may not be a problem.

Be advised if you dont intend to keep your dog leashed you will be stopped by several rangers... you cant avoid them in NJ

Mr. Obvious
04-20-2006, 12:24
Thanks.. i may just have to try hiking now with him on leash. If it will help with peoples perspectives, why not, and afterall .. it is the rule..

Could you compare anything in Jersey say to , the last mile after dragons tooth heading north in VA?

Thanks for your time.

RITBlake
04-20-2006, 13:12
Thanks.. i may just have to try hiking now with him on leash. If it will help with peoples perspectives, why not, and afterall .. it is the rule..

Could you compare anything in Jersey say to , the last mile after dragons tooth heading north in VA?

Thanks for your time.
no, jersey is nothing like that mile stretch. you will find jersey much easier, not as steep, no hand over hand etc.

A-Train
04-20-2006, 13:50
You'll have to carry him over some stiles, around Vernon but that shouldn't be an issue. There is little to no hand over hand climbing in Jerz, except the mentioned rock wall near Crater Lake, which is about 15 feet of work, and maybe some parts going up to the Pinwheel Vista. You should be fine. As mentioned though, leash your dog. It's respectful to other hikers, wildlife and other hikers dogs. You won't be seeing any Jersey bears..

Ridge
04-20-2006, 14:01
If you do a little web research you'll find that Coyote's are attracted to dogs, especially small ones. Coyote's are territorial.

Ridge
04-20-2006, 14:29
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/0607_050607_coyotes.html

Two page article about the Coyote. The territorial Coyote may be stalking you.

Mr. Obvious
04-20-2006, 15:39
Will do with the leash.. As for the coyotes.? .. We have plenty of them here.. Myself, i love hearing them here, then down in extreme southwestern VA, and eastern KY.. The later have a little mtn' twang to them ... Ler sleeps down in my bag by my feet, his leash is lashed to my tarp pole at night, (he's not going anywhere) .. honestly i've had more issues with raccoons, those guys are crafty....

CHeers

Jack Tarlin
04-20-2006, 16:20
Mr. O.----

The leash makes sense if he's likely to take off after animals. Also, if he's prone to jumping at or on people. (A lot of small dogs do this). Also, there are a few places in Jersey (State Parks, etc.) where a leash is probably required.

A leash is also a good idea in Jersey as it'll keep him close to you when (not IF, but WHEN) you encounter bears.

As far as terrain, I know of several Jack Russell's that have done the entire Trail.

There is no part of New Jersey which your pet will find "impassable."

Have a great trip.

Turbo Joe
04-20-2006, 16:24
your dog is so small you caould just throw him in your pack so i wouldn't worry about it unless your a rock climber

QHShowoman
04-20-2006, 16:25
... he even knows to do his deeds off the trail.....

You do know basic LNT principles when it comes to cleaning up after your pet on the trail, don't you?

Mr. Obvious
04-20-2006, 16:37
WELL, i figure it can't be any different than what i would do with my own trailtreats..... Bury it,cathole style, ( but don't tell my dog it's a cat hole)and cover with debris/leaves ect... or bag it and pack it out....

brpgsm
04-20-2006, 16:51
"Hidy Ho friends and neighbours, this is the Mr. Obvious show." "Hi, Mr. Obvious, long time listener, first time caller"

Sorry, I couldn't resist, love the name!!

Have fun on the hike with your "Big (little) Sweetie!!!!!"
<TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap></TD><TD width="100%"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

max patch
04-20-2006, 17:46
I've personally seen more bears in GA, VA, and TN, but its generally agreed upon that NJ has the most bears on the AT. I'd be more concerned about that rather than the geographical challenges of the AT in NJ.

SGTdirtman
04-20-2006, 19:34
I've personally seen more bears in GA, VA, and TN, but its generally agreed upon that NJ has the most bears on the AT. I'd be more concerned about that rather than the geographical challenges of the AT in NJ.

I dont think the overall number of bears is that great but the overall number of acres is less so the bears tend to pop up more at campgrounds and shelters than they would in the much more wild states.

Askus3
04-20-2006, 22:06
Two spots I know of that I would mention are the one mile boardwalk west of Vernon (94). I would definitely leash him for this stretch. Very popular with strollers and people just wanting to go for a walk. Another place is about 1/2 mile south of the NY/NJ line. Going northbound is a tough 15 foot wall to climb. You might have to hoist your dog up and then you scramble up behind him. Also, several stiles in the Vernon area where there are ladders that go up and over some barbed wire. Dont let your dog try to go underneath!

Mr. Obvious
04-21-2006, 11:02
Thanks for the advise... I really wouldn't want to go it without him...

Happy trails..
cheers