PDA

View Full Version : HH hex fly/question

joec
04-20-2006, 17:27
Just got my hex fly after sending the std one back. Still waiting on the tree huggers before setting up my new hammock. Went into the back yd and set up the fly using one small bungee type cord per tie line. It seems to be too loose with that much play, expecially on the ridge line. Would it be better to take the shock cords off the ridge line and just use shock cords on the sides? Also the fly has triangular plastic ties on the ridge (I assume it is the ridge) and circular plastic ties with a clip on the other 4 corners. What are the clips for?

Seeker
04-20-2006, 18:09
you might have it turned 90* off...

the tarp should be an asymetrical rectangle... if you're laying in the hammock on your back, your head will be a little left of center, and your feet will be a little to the right off the slit... the tarp's 'offset' should correspond. if it doesn't, turn it over (not end for end... it'll remain the same shape if you do.)

ok. once you've got the tarp aligned the right way, you should have some rings and hooks on all four corners... i'm not sure what you mean by triangles, but i might have an older version, and the newer one might have a different shape for the ridge or tie out so you can keep track of. makes sense, but i can't tell from here... in any case, you have little hooks all over... i'll explain them.

after you hook the prussik knot/plastic hook piece through the round plastic loop on the tarp corner at the ridgeline, the clips at those two points (ridgline) are used to clip the tarp TO the ridgeline. this keeps it from blowing up in a gust of wind, sort of like a car's hood release keeps the hood from going up over your windshield if you accidentally pop the hood while on the interstate. make sense? essentially a safety, in case it comes unhooked from the prussik knot thing... at first it's really tight, but it gets looser with wear.

the hooks on the side tie outs are also useful... but we have to digress for a minute...

there are two elastic cords on the sides of the hammock. you can either stake them down, or tie them off to a convenient tree/bush. you get more room if you tie off to a tree/bush. however, when it's raining, stake them to the ground, or tie them really low, or the wind will wave the bushes around and move your hammock a little.

now to the tarp. when it's nice out, you can tie the tarp off to a convenient tree/bush, same as the elastics. but when it's raining, you'll want to do the same and tie it lower, so the rain can't get underneath.

ok, NOW back to the clips... they tie the two pieces together... when it's raining, you clip the tarp to the side hammock tieout elastics, and it keeps them closer together, pulling up the edges of the hammock, so even if the wind shakes the tarp, it's going to keep the tarp over the edge of the hammock and keep you dry... it doesn't ventilate as well, but you can't have everything, and it's a lot more miserable in a closed up tent. i've survived some pretty awesome wind-blowing downpours in just my stock hammock tarp, and stayed perfectly dry. but i've come to prefer a slightly larger tarp for most trips because i can get out, stretch, cook, play cards, or whatever, even in the rain. can't do that as easily with the stock tarp. lots of people like an 8x8, and i use an 8x10 because i haven't found the silnylon yet to make the smaller one.

good luck.

joec
04-20-2006, 18:27
"ok. once you've got the tarp aligned the right way, you should have some rings and hooks on all four corners... i'm not sure what you mean by triangles, but i might have an older version"

It may be they have changes this new hex tarp from the standard tarp. You have to specify you want this new, larger tarp when you order. The triangles are opposite each other on what I would call the ridge line and are the only tie off place that does not have the clips. The clips are next to each round plastic tie point.

Seeker
04-21-2006, 00:16
"ok. once you've got the tarp aligned the right way, you should have some rings and hooks on all four corners... i'm not sure what you mean by triangles, but i might have an older version"

It may be they have changes this new hex tarp from the standard tarp. You have to specify you want this new, larger tarp when you order. The triangles are opposite each other on what I would call the ridge line and are the only tie off place that does not have the clips. The clips are next to each round plastic tie point.

sounds waay different... the standard tarp is a parallelogram (4 sides, not 6). one clip on each side could still line up with the elastic tie outs though, for use as i described... wish i could show you in person... it's hard in words...

Just Jeff
04-21-2006, 00:26
Seeker - the new hex tarps are kinda like the MacCats. It's an upgrade to the tiny HH stock tarp. I haven't seen one of these particular models, but I'm pretty sure it's symmetrical across the ridgeline.

TN_Hiker
04-21-2006, 08:55
Joec,

I'm a new hammock hanger as well and went with the hex fly also. Yes, it will weigh more, but during bad weather that large fly will be nice. Plus, it is large enough to use just as a tarp if you have that burning desire to sleep on the ground. My hex fly didn't have come w/ any bungee cord tieouts. Instead it had very small diameter nylon cord----I replaced it with triptease line. I agree the bungee cord would seem to allow to much play for a fly plus I find it harder to tie knots in bungee cord. The triangle plastic piece attaches to the ridge line clips----I didn't see a need in using the fly tie outs on the ridge line (perhaps in really bad weather) since the ridgeline has the pursik type clips. I'm at a loss about the plastic clips & circle on the corners unless it is for convienence only in the event you have to "button down the hatches". I think in the future I'm going to run a ridgeline for the fly only and not use the hammock ridgeline to support the fly. The reason being is during bad weather I want the ability to put up or take down the hammock under cover. If the fly was attached to the hammock's ridgeline this wouldn't be possible.

Also, the standard tree huggers are too small. Instead of buying the longer tree huggers I made my own with less than $3 in materials from REI. My homemade tree huggers are 84 inches long. I used 3/4 inch webbing to reduce some bulk and save a few grams.

Seeker
04-21-2006, 09:42
Seeker - the new hex tarps are kinda like the MacCats. It's an upgrade to the tiny HH stock tarp. I haven't seen one of these particular models, but I'm pretty sure it's symmetrical across the ridgeline.

gotcha... sounds like you can turn it any which way and still get the elastic tieouts lined up with 2 of the 4 clips. sounds like a great idea/design.

thanks for the info.

joec
04-21-2006, 09:59
TN HIKER-----so you did not have the clips on the four corner tie outs? Mine has a circle plastic tie point along with a clip at each corner. I bought small bungee type cords from REI and they have a small hook at each end which I bent into a circle and tied to that. I think I will take the bungees off the ridge line and try it with four bungees. Maybe when I get the tree hugger and hang the hammock I can figure out what the clips are for.

TN_Hiker
04-21-2006, 10:10
Joec,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes I have the clips & little plastic circles at each corner. I don't have a clue what they are for unless it is there in case you want the ability to quickly do / un-do a corner.

joec
04-21-2006, 10:32
My plans are to tie the ridgeline to the tree without any connection to the hammock. I think once I do away with the bungees on the ridge, it will firm up enough to work well. I have a e-mail question into Hennessy about the clips and will post their answer here when I receive it.

Just Jeff
04-21-2006, 10:38
The clips are probably so you can attach the hammock's asym tie-outs...opens up the hammock a little and minimizes the gap between the tarp and hammock. At least that's what I used the ones on the smaller fly for.

joec
04-22-2006, 08:16
Just got the reply from Tom at Hennessy about the clips. They are there to attach the new fly tensioner system they have come out with. You can attach a water bottle to the clips and as it fills with water from rain, it automatically keep the tarp tight. Don't think I will be using the clips for that, but maybe a good idea.