PDA

View Full Version : Best Stops on the Trail

Big Oz
04-20-2006, 20:12
On Appalachian Trail Services it was ask if the question of what are the three best stops on the trail.What would your answer be?http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36

Skidsteer
04-20-2006, 20:28
On Appalachian Trail Services it was ask if the question of what are the three best stops on the trail.What would your answer be?http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36

Well, if you list them in terms of linear progression(NOBO), getting your head straight, getting your pack lightened, and reassessing your goals for the hike, etc., then I think it would be difficult to omit Mountain Crossings/Neel's Gap

They do hiker's a great service year after year.

MOWGLI
04-20-2006, 20:42
In no particular order.

1. Hot Springs, NC - A great place to take a rest day.

2. Damascus, VA - Ditto - Rent a bike and ride the Creeper Trail on your rest day.

3. Somewhere - anywhere - in Maine. Maine is my favorite AT state - hands down. Take a rest day at Pierce Pond and swim or fish. Go rafting on the Kennebec. Take a day off in Monson or Rangely. Anyway you slice it, you
can't go wrong.

There is no wrong answer. Each of the 14 states has it's high points. There are many places to visit including NYC, Washington, DC, etc...

the goat
04-21-2006, 08:24
1.) the doyle hotel

2.) kincora hostel

3.) rusty's hard time hollow

Grampie
04-21-2006, 08:52
I guess it would all depend on what you were looking for. My best three, very hard pick, were:
Blueberry Patch
Doyle Hotel
Upper Goose Pond
I could probably list a lot more.:sun

Inn Keeper
04-21-2006, 10:14
In no particular order.

1. Hot Springs, NC - A great place to take a rest day.

2. Damascus, VA - Ditto - Rent a bike and ride the Creeper Trail on your rest day.

3. Somewhere - anywhere - in Maine. Maine is my favorite AT state - hands down. Take a rest day at Pierce Pond and swim or fish. Go rafting on the Kennebec. Take a day off in Monson or Rangely. Anyway you slice it, you
can't go wrong.

There is no wrong answer. Each of the 14 states has it's high points. There are many places to visit including NYC, Washington, DC, etc...
1. Cloud 9 in Hiawassee,2.Haven's Budget Inn in Franklin,3.Hike Inn in Fontana.I'm in Hot Springs for the fest but I would like to answer this thread after I get to Katahdin.I'm sure there are lots more great stops.

MOWGLI
04-21-2006, 10:22
I'm in Hot Springs for the fest ....

See you tonight.

Tim Rich
04-21-2006, 10:24
can't go wrong.

I agree Maine has some great stops. Whitehouse Landing in Maine, the town of Andover, and Monson were my three favorites in Maine. The lodge in Caratunk was nice as well.