PDA

View Full Version : Cost on Trail?

Yedi
02-26-2003, 18:15
I'm just curious how much people spent while on the Trail for their thrus (not including gear). I want to make sure I've got enough budgeted. Thanks.

Yedi

Lone Wolf
02-26-2003, 18:22
$3000 should be enough for a 5-6 month hike.

brian
02-26-2003, 18:51
Sgt Rock has got a cost estimate on his site: http://hikinghq.net/at_stuff/at_cost.html

Including a $500 emergency amount, he totals in at about $4000, or about $2 a mile.

Brian:banana

Redbeard
02-26-2003, 21:19
If you realize you despise your equipment, maybe more. I bought a brand new pack at Mt. Rogers, hiking proved it was a worthy choice. Don't eat more than 1 restaurant meal in town, never stay at a hotel more than 1 day. If you need a 0 day, camp just outside of town, then walk in and get a room, better yet, 0 on the trail. Of course I failed to follow these suggestions last year...

Virginian
02-26-2003, 22:13
I spent about $4500.00. Whan you get to town beer is good!!

Scamp
02-27-2003, 00:41
I budgeted $1 per mile. That's about $100 per week. But I had all my
equipment and food/maildrops prepaid.
Some of the young bucks were trying to
make it on $25 per week and had to buy food! That's rough.

Don't stay too long in towns or you'll
spend more.

Scamp

RagingHampster
02-27-2003, 08:59
For my 2004 hike, I am budgeting $150/week (not including trail-food which will be bought in advance and dropped). I plan to hit a motel once a week if possible, mainly for the shower & electric outlet to recharge my camera battery. I could care less about sleeping in a bed, as I don't even own a bed now. I have budgeted enough $ to pay for a motel all on my own once a week, but hope to save even more $ by splitting rooms every once in a while with other hikers (that I feel I can trust).

I love food. One of the things I really look forward to is gorging on food in towns. I'll also save some money once I hit massachusetts, as I live about 1/2hr from the trail, allowing me to take a zero/resupply day at home.

How many YMCA's are in trail towns? You can actually use your Y card for shower access at any Y in the US. May save you $75-100 if you can find one nearby.

Blue Jay
02-27-2003, 09:16
In my opinion, $150 per week with a motel is going to be hard but not impossible. I realize you will be supplimenting it with hostels and mail drops. The problem is that in some areas a motel will take close to $100. For example Elmer's is always full when I get there and It's always rainning (three freaking times). So I blow for the motel. Add the first beer on the trail and my massive appitite, I blow $200 in one day. What I'm saying is you could do it but you'll be close.

RagingHampster
02-27-2003, 09:55
Are motels really that expensive? I was hoping to spend $75-$100 for a motel, and $50-$75 on restaurants. I plan to do 6 days on and 1 day off. All my food will be maildropped.

Do most hostels have shower facilities?

Scamp
02-27-2003, 11:03
Most motels are far less than $100.
My most expensive night was in
Harriman, NY at $77.
The Doyle in PA was like $16.
The Hiawassee Inn was $50.
I got Lyme and left the trail at the CT/MA
border, so I didin't get to the AMC Huts.
Alot of the 'hiker hangouts' are NOT expensive. They also aren't fancy.
There are some incredible hostels too.
Delaware Water Gap and Vernon, NJ
were great. Price was donation or work.
Very cool.

Scamp

Redbeard
02-27-2003, 11:05
Between Springer and the Daleville, Troutdale/ Roanoke Va area, I never spent more than $60 on a hotel, including taxes. Every hostel I stayed at had a shower, Miss Janets in Erwin, Kincora, Elmers(wich is a BandB but it was only twenty bucks with a bang up dinner) Get into towns early to get a room, I often got rooms before the official check in time, wich meant I got to spend over 24 hours there if I wanted too, and got to eat the continental breakfast twice:D

Israel
02-27-2003, 12:23
both of my thrus for me cost right around $1600 with all equipment already paid for/owned and I bought food enroute with only a couple of mail drops.

Former Member
02-28-2003, 09:53
/