PDA

View Full Version : Southern PA & MD

no_granola
04-20-2006, 20:54
Planning on doing this stretch next month, 100-140+ miles for the week. Are there any places south of Boiling Springs where the trail has road crossings that are fairly close to a restaurant/bar?

I'll be moving pretty quickly but there's always time for pubgrub and a beer provided I don't have to go more than a mile or so out of my way ;)

Can anybody help a hiker out?

BlackCloud
04-21-2006, 07:18
Not that there aren't dozens of road crossings, but I can't recall any bars w/in a mile of the trail.

Well, there is that restaurant @ the Dalgreen Ctr on Rte 40 (South Mtn) in MD.

The AT however is no substitution for a good AA program.

Jesus.:cool:

adh24
04-21-2006, 11:50
At the Route 309 crossing there's a restaurant/Bar but that's really not southern PA. I think it's called Blue Mountain Inn

no_granola
04-21-2006, 17:00
At the Route 309 crossing there's a restaurant/Bar but that's really not southern PA. I think it's called Blue Mountain Inn

Been there. Great food and cold beer. God bless 'em.

That's actually what got me wondering.

Tuesday
04-21-2006, 18:16
Dogpatch Tavern, about 1/2 mile west of the AT on US 40 in MD. Had a great lunch there on my first thru and have been back every time when hiking MD.

It's a biker bar with the Harleys out front. But don't be intimidated, they were some of the friendliest people I met on the trail.

no_granola
04-21-2006, 21:30
Dogpatch Tavern, about 1/2 mile west of the AT on US 40 in MD. Had a great lunch there on my first thru and have been back every time when hiking MD.

It's a biker bar with the Harleys out front. But don't be intimidated, they were some of the friendliest people I met on the trail.

Now you're talking. That's exactly what I'm looking for. A day's worth of food that I don't need to carry and an ice cold beer or 6 along the way :D

soccrosse
04-21-2006, 21:51
The old South Mountain Inn is just off the trail at Alternate Rt. 40 just south of Washington Monument State Park. The Inn dates back to the late 1700's when it served as a stage coach stop on the national highway and is now a restraunt and bar serving a great prime rib and draught. The place looks fancy from the outside but is very hiker friendly. This is one of my favorite places to eat. Enjoy!!