PDA

View Full Version : Women--Sleeping Bag Of Choice?

Michele
04-21-2006, 09:19
I'd like to hear from the ladies on this one (sorry guys....most men I know sleep really warm compared to me...nothing personal :D , but I'd welcome info about your wives/girlfriends!)

I'm looking at the expensive (REALLY expensive) Marmot Helium 15 degree down (850 fill) bag for women. I get very cold very fast, and need to be warm enough on my thru-hike of the AT next year. Haven't thought about a warm-weather bag yet.

What are both your cold and warmer weather sleeping bag of choice? Please just list brand, degree-rating, and your brief overall opinion. THANKS!!

allie
04-21-2006, 10:07
I use the marmot angel fire and love it! Yes it was a litte expensive but very comfy and warm. I believe it is a 15 degree bag.

baseballswthrt
04-21-2006, 10:09
I also sleep very cold. I bought an REI subkilo. Don't do that! It is good down to about 40* not 15* or 20*. I have used my husband's Marmot Helium and it is much much warmer. I used it at 20* and was fairly comfortable, but I do wear extra clothes in it! I am looking to buy a 0* bag for me. Kevin is fine in the Helium down to 15*.

Sassafras
04-21-2006, 15:00
I have a Big Agnes Zirkel. I adore it. Runs around $200, right on with it's 20° temp rating and so fluffy and soft. It uses a sleeping pad (Big Agnes aircore or Insulmat) for the bottom insulation so weighs in a little lighter than other bags. The thing I like most about it is there is no way you can roll off your pad. I flip around a lot at night and the roominess of the bag suits me.

My next gear purchase will be a b.A. Horse thief 35° bag to replace my cruddy REI downtime 45° (maybe 60° at best) bag.

themooseisloose
04-21-2006, 16:53
I also use the Marmot Angel Fire. My partner and I debated for the longest time about bags; we initially wanted to get REI bags (read: divends) but we've heard so many bad things about them, we decided against it. Anyway, the Angel Fire is a great bag. My one complaint it that it is a bit heavy (2.10), but for the price it was hard to complain.

How tall are you? We're both under 5'3" and I don't know if anyone significantly taller could fit, but I guess that's hard for me to say. If you're near an REI, you could check it out for yourself.

Good luck!

Dawn
04-21-2006, 19:02
I have ordered the Women's Helium for my cool weather bag. I chose the Atom for my warm weather bag since it is only a pound. They are suppose to arrive next week. A LOT of money. I have heard/read a lot of good reviews which is why I chose them. I'll be testing them out this year in prep for a thru hike with them next year. Any comments on the Atom?

titanium_hiker
04-29-2006, 04:07
I haven't slept in snow with this, but a JRB quilt (nest) (made for a hammock underquilt) is nice and toasty.

maybe look at a quilt for warmer weather.

titanium_hiker

spedtchr
04-29-2006, 09:13
My husband bought me the Helium- I sleep very cold. I used it this week in a tarp tent and it hovered at 30 degrees in the morning - ice on the tent from rain the previous evening. The only thing that got cold was my nose! I tend to roll but was able to roll with the bag. I am 5'1" but there seemed to be plenty of room below my feet. Just weighed it in the stuff sack - just over 1 lb 14 oz. Hope this helps.

spedtchr
04-30-2006, 18:00
Just got back from an overnight and stayed toasty warm in the Helium. I do wear lightweight fleece to sleep in. The temperature dropped to about 20 - only a bit cold when I rolled over and that was from the bottom - slept on an Ensolite pad. We kept the fly open on the tarp tent to avoid condensation.

gravityman
04-30-2006, 18:13
I'd like to hear from the ladies on this one (sorry guys....most men I know sleep really warm compared to me...nothing personal :D , but I'd welcome info about your wives/girlfriends!)

I'm looking at the expensive (REALLY expensive) Marmot Helium 15 degree down (850 fill) bag for women. I get very cold very fast, and need to be warm enough on my thru-hike of the AT next year. Haven't thought about a warm-weather bag yet.

What are both your cold and warmer weather sleeping bag of choice? Please just list brand, degree-rating, and your brief overall opinion. THANKS!!

My wife and I both used the Western Mountaineer Super Versalite (conservative 10 deg) for our March 1 start in 2005 and neither of us was cold a single night until we switched to our summer quilt in Pearisburg and it got below freezing the very next night :P

Gravity and Danger

Rain
05-10-2006, 14:14
Big Agnes Pomer Hoit for cold weather. I'm also a very cold sleeper, so I carried more weight in the beginning just for warmth... suppose it was my luxury item. All Big Agnes bags include a slip-in pad feature, which prevents a sleeper from falling off a pad and losing heat. I love this bag.