PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that a 3,200 cu. in. bag is big enough?

ShawnR80
04-21-2006, 19:26
I am currently planning a 2008 hike and am curious to know If a 3,200 cu. in. bag is big enough for a thru-hike. I realize that there is many things that we help your decision like how far I am going between maildrops and all that. I am currently planning to try not to carry more than 4 days of food at any given time. Of course this will surely change with my planning, there is alot of time between now and March, 2008. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks ShawnR80:D

Frosty
04-21-2006, 19:36
I am currently planning a 2008 hike and am curious to know If a 3,200 cu. in. bag is big enough for a thru-hike. People have done it with a smaller bag. And a lot bigger. Which way you go is up to you.

Standard advice, and the only advice that makes sense to me is: buy all your gear, add four-five days of food and a couple liters of water. Buy a bag that will fit what you have.

The only way buying the bag first makes sense to me is if you are determined not to carry more than, say, 30 pounds. Then you buy a bag that will only hold 30 pounds, and keep removing gear until you are down to 20 pounds. Then after you add food and water, you know you'll be under 30.

Ridge
04-22-2006, 02:44
This bag is slightly larger than the one I used. I kept the bag small as I could and tied tent and sleeping pad to it. I try to stay under 33 lbs including food and water for winter, 4 lbs or so less for the other 3 seasons. I believe my bag is 2800ci. Anyway, check it out with all the stuff you'll be carrying. www.rei.com (http://www.rei.com) used to have a photo course in packing a pack, I sure you can find all the info you need on the web.

neo
04-22-2006, 22:34
I am currently planning a 2008 hike and am curious to know If a 3,200 cu. in. bag is big enough for a thru-hike. I realize that there is many things that we help your decision like how far I am going between maildrops and all that. I am currently planning to try not to carry more than 4 days of food at any given time. Of course this will surely change with my planning, there is alot of time between now and March, 2008. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks ShawnR80:D

this is what i prefer on long distance hikes:cool: neo

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/EQ2010

this pack is 3350 ci,i love it

Kerosene
04-23-2006, 12:48
Frosty's advice is on target. If you carry weight, with sufficient supplies, is under 30 pounds then you a 3200 cube pack should work. I've found that a smaller pack helps to force me to pack lighter and better than when I carry a larger capacity pack.

Mags
04-24-2006, 11:13
My advice is to buy all the equipment you plan on using on a long hike then go to your local outfitter and try the various packs. In other words, make the pack your last purchase.

You really don't know how big of a pack you need until you have all your other equipment.

For a a person at the 15lb basepack weight mark, a 3200 CI pack is fine. Larger than that? You may want to think of a larger pack.

alanthealan
04-24-2006, 14:17
Yes.......

ShawnR80
04-28-2006, 12:49
Thanks guys for all the great advice, buying the pack last.....what a great idea! Thanks Shawn

Ewker
04-28-2006, 13:14
this is what i prefer on long distance hikes:cool: neo

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/EQ2010

this pack is 3350 ci,i love it

Hey Neo,

I have that pack. I used it twice and didn't like it. The straps always kept coming loose no matter how tight I pulled on them.

have you had any problems with the straps

bignasty
06-06-2006, 16:36
I would consider first how much weight you will be planning to carry and then, when choosing your pack see how much the pack's frame is designed to carry. Many times smaller packs have smaller frames and while squeezing 40 pounds onto a 3200 cubic inch pack may be doable, the pack may not be able to support it. I use the north face skareb 55. It is a small and light weight pack and handle about 30 pounds confortably.

Footslogger
06-06-2006, 16:40
Good advice here. Selecting a pack first without considering your gear seems a bit backwards. Bottom line is whether or not a 3200 cu in pack will hold all your stuff and carry comfortably.

'Slogger

papa john
06-06-2006, 17:28
I used it twice and didn't like it.
Are you interested in selling it?

NM< found a new one for $85!

dloome
07-02-2006, 10:39
3,200 cubes of volume should be sufficient for pretty much anyone to thru hike. If you can't fit AT 3 season gear and a few days worth of food in that amount of space take a close look at what you're carrying. Like Kerosene said- Having a smaller pack, but one that SHOULD be big enough makes it much easier to be disciplined in what you bring. If you've got 4,500 cubes of empty space, you're going to be very tempted to fill it with something. Probably junk you don't need.

All you need: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/GO1025

Johnny Swank
07-15-2006, 09:30
That's about the size I used on the AT. Remember that packed size and weight aren't necessarily linear in relation. A lightweight foam pad is pretty bulky, whereas some smaller items can be pretty heavy.

A smaller pack does force you to carry less stuff overall, and that's a good thing. The amount of crap you carry is usually directly related to capacity of the pack!

-Johnny Swank, MEGA 2000

Wonder
07-16-2006, 08:36
Left with a 5200 and went to a 3200........my back is much happier now!!!

EasyListening
08-15-2006, 06:50
My pack is 3300 cu in and I mailed a bunch of crap home that I didn't need, so yeah, 3200 should do. In fact I suggest these sizes because it's easy to carry too much as it is. For me anyway.