PDA

View Full Version : First Time Light Weight Gear List

DawnTreader
04-22-2006, 02:57
Okay, I'm leaving for my month long Maine AT journey on June 28th.. This will be my longest trip out to date, and during planning, I have re-evaluated my previous experiences, and realized I was way to heavy. The following list is a result of a trip last summer where I hovered around 60lbs for 7 straight days..I was playing trip leader/sherpa for a teen group I took out...needless to say, I don't remember the trail.. I wonder why..I vowed never again, and am really out to enjoy the trail more by lightening the load. It was a fun process, small small tweaks are all that I need, so please input input input...

Six Moon Designs Essence Backpack...13 ozs.
silnylon pack cover..........................2.4

HennessyH Ul BP Asym................................31

JRB Summer Quilt............................15
Gossemar Gear Nightlight pad............3.7
silk bag liner...................................4.3

Clothes.........................................33 .7
-thermal top & bottom
-Fleece Pullover
-duofold tee shirt
-duofold boxer brief
2 Pairs extra socks.........................5.5
2 Bandanas...................................2
DriDucks Rain (jacket&pants)............11.7
beanie hat & fleece gloves...............3.4
Pack Towel...................................1.5

2.5 liter platypus...........................1.2
Polar Pure (full).............................5.0
(will use 2 1 liter gatorade bottle on trail)

Ion Stove....................................0.7
MSR Windscreen...........................1.6
AGG 3 cup pot w/cozy...................4.7
Lexen Foon..........................................0.4
8 oz. Denatured Alcohol in tube.......8.8
kitchen stuff sack........................0.4

2 mini biners.................................0.35
4 ti stakes...................................0.85
squirt multitool..............................1.9
iriver t10mp3 player(1 AA)...............4.6
Pentax optio digi cam(2 AA).............6.3
Petzel Tikka Headlamp(3 AAA)..........2.7
*Everything water touchy will be in ziplock bags

Compass Tool...............................2.0
maps & companion.........................5.0 max
Silnylon Wallet Lanyard w/3 plastic cards....0.8
toothbrush..................................0.07
Dr. Bronners................................2.8
misc silnylon small zip bag..............0.9
4 AA batteries.............................4.0
so far.. without water.......11.2 lbs :)

Things that I will pack but have yet to weigh

parachute cord
first aid........
a few assorted bandaids
1 ace bandage
1 large needle
thread (fishing line, dental floss, or other)
3 safety pins
4 nexproxen tabs
4 rollaids tabs
fair amount of duct tape
Trash Compactor Bag for Pack liner
3 AAA batteries
Cash

Things that are on the bubble
-Hand sanitizer
-silnylon repair kit (do I need sissors?)
-Camp Shoes (will probabbly regret if I leave at home)
-toilette paper (seriously thinking there are tons of leaves out there)

I will be hiking in
mesh baseball cap
campmor convertible zip off pants (I HIKE COMANDO..ANYONE ELSE?)
duofold tee shirt
montrail mountain mist trail runners w/smartwool socks
Gossemar Gear Lightrek nonadjustable poles

So there it is.. I am shooting for a wet weight (2 liters of water, no food) of around 15 lbs...This will give me the leeway I need to blue blaze my way through the 100 mile semi-willderness with a little extra food!!

Thoughts, suggestions, redundancies, and concerns for my safety are welcome!!

Stir it up--
DawnTreader

vipahman
04-22-2006, 10:48
So far that list looks pretty good.

In terms of redundancies:
- platy and gatorade bottles?
- silnylon pack cover and trash compactor pack liner?
- dr bronner's and hand sanitizer?
- beanie hat and baseball cap?
- duct tape and silnylon repair kit?
- duct tape and needle/thread?

In terms of extras:
- mini-biners?
- silnylon wallet? You won't be using it at all.
- misc silnylon small zip? The Essence pack is loaded with storage options.
- campshoes?
- scissors?

In terms of safety:
- 6 batteries would seem safer than 4. 3 reserved for the petzel, 3 for everything else.

And lastly, remember to weigh everything including what you are wearing and carrying. Hope this helps.

wilderness bob
04-22-2006, 11:06
DT,
Commando is the way I go. Especially when the weather is hot. If you do so I recommend bringing a small container of "Gold Bond' powder. Small containers (travelers size) can be found in most pharmacies or even at Wall-mart. Tape it closed to prevent spillage and apply at night before turning in. It helps keep any rash that may develop down there, under control.
Peace, WB

hikerjohnd
04-22-2006, 12:48
And lastly, remember to weigh everything including what you are wearing and carrying. Hope this helps.

just my two cents - do not go overboard with weighing every little thing. FSO weight is, in my opinion, fairly worthless. Your body is accustomed to wearing a given amount of weight in clothes and odds are your hiking atire will be less than your normal attire. I believe the important weight to consider is your pack weight including all consumables, as this will be the weight your body is not accustomed to carrying.

You seem to have a grasp on the light/ultralight principles - now go out and have fun!

Oh - and be sure to post your impresions of the Essence pack... I have yet to take mine out!

DawnTreader
04-22-2006, 14:03
nobody caught that i forgot a bic lighter and a book of matches :).. good advice so far keep it comin'...

vipahman: winter beanie for cold, mesh baseball hat for sun, rain and hair..
I will pack 4 AA and 3 AAA
Duct tape and silnylon repair kit... good point :)
silnylon wallet.. need something to put cards and cash that connects inside my pack, it can also be worn around my neck (I used to come home from school with notes pinned to my shirt, I lose everything..)
I might ditch the mini-biners if I'm convinced everything that needs to be latched is, and I won't lose anything important..
I have hiked with a hydration system in the past, wasn't impressed but liked the idea of a resevoir for camp, and in case i need to stealth away from a water source, I'll have plenty for morning..
As for campshoes, I doubt I'll take them, however, crocs would come in handy for river crossings (plenty in Maine)..undecided
All of my weights include stuff sacks, where appropriate. but I might have to many, we'll see.. if it comes down to pinching grams, I'll probabbly get rid of a couple of small ditty's (It shouldn't come to this..) The build of the Essence Pack will not tolerate overloading, so that is my motivation for packing Light!

Rambler
04-26-2006, 15:06
Nice list. Just some thoughts, since you ask. Things I've carried, but found I seldom used. a) bandana (I know they have 1000 uses!) b.) towel c.) soap (other than hand sanitizer) d.) extra flashlight batteries (when they start to dim, I buy new ones) They are long lasting. e.) carabiners (cord will do it) f.) sleeping bag liners g.) repair kits (duct tape, until town) h.) multi-tools
i.) thermal bottoms in summer (Long pants and raingear bottoms suffice) j.) pack cover

(Going commando can lead to a rash due to chaffing at waistline between top edge of trousers and hipbelt or pack, for me anyway!)

Crocs alllow other footwear and socks to dry out. Give feet a chance to "breathe" after a long day or dry out. Air and light will help stiffle bacteria between the toes.

Adjustable, rather than fixed poles.

All stuff sacks silnylon.

Something other than band aids for blisters. Band aids do not stay in place. Moleskin. There is a Dr Scholls' product like first skin that is designed to stay on for several days. It cures as it stays on.

2 liter platypus and 2 liter gator aide? Couldn't one be smaller?

Matches?

Singletrack
04-26-2006, 15:34
Use Crocs to cross the rivers and streams, bug head net for mosquitoes, while hiking and cooking.

vipahman
04-28-2006, 10:35
DT,
Commando is the way I go. Especially when the weather is hot. If you do so I recommend bringing a small container of "Gold Bond' powder. Small containers (travelers size) can be found in most pharmacies or even at Wall-mart. Tape it closed to prevent spillage and apply at night before turning in. It helps keep any rash that may develop down there, under control.
Peace, WB
BTDT. Commando is what causes the rash. That sweat needs to be wicked. Regular underwear doesn't work because of it's cotton. It gets wet and chaffs the thigh/groin area. Seamless bicycle shorts solved my problem. Now I don't carry Gold Bond anymore. :banana

PoppaZ
05-01-2006, 15:56
I highly recommend getting a wind shirt as well. The Motaine Aero comes in under 2.5 oz and the hooded Go Lite Ether that I have the pleasure of wearing is 3.5 oz.

It will be your most usefull peice of gear in your bag. Wear it on hot days as sun protection, cold ones to take the bite out of the wind, and on moist ones to keep your base layers dry.

krazyvan
05-04-2006, 08:11
Not a bad list...a few tweaks here and there will lighten your load. Lose the Dri-duck pants, your legs will stay warm enough from walking. Ditch the packtowel, you already have a bandanna. Speaking of bandanna's, you will only need one. It already has been mentioned, but you can lose the pack cover if you use a liner. Make a foil windscreen for your ION, that MSR windscreen is overkill. Use your Dri-ducks jacket as a wind shirt. I wonder if the JRB quilt will be warm enough, I was a bit chilled in mine last weekend. Temps were in the high 30's and I was on the ground, you'll be in a hammock and using a torso length pad....just something to think about.

DawnTreader
05-04-2006, 16:52
Krazyvan..
I have used this quilt in 40-45, if I layer up when I sleep, which I don't mind, I always wear pajamas at home. I don't anticipate temps as low as in the high 30's in mid July in Maine, but if it happens, oh well, I'll sleep on the ground or in a shelter..
I think I will ditch the pack cover..
I've found to often I use my bandana for spills and clean ups, and it gets super soiled fast, so I'll most likely stick with 2.. Or maybe I'll cut 1 bandana and bring the pack towel... no biggy..
No fancy shamnsy windshirt for me.. I've already dropped to much money!! maybe next section...
I hate underwear when I walk and never rash on long distances so.. once a commando, always a commando..
Great windscreen tip.. I'll play with the idea of some kind of foil.. I'll search the threads..
head net will be brought, but I've spent tons of time in the North Maine woods during biting seasons, and have found them more of a bother.. I don't even wear bug spray.. they get me, but after a while, your body adapts and there is no reaction besides a bite..
No extra flashlight batteries will be brought.. just a backup tiny photon light to hold me over till the next town..
Rambler:
thermal bottoms in summer (Long pants and raingear bottoms suffice)
gotta have thermal pants and top always...can't bend..
gotta carry dr. bronners, too many uses..(toothpaste, dishsoap, self soap..)
matches are a must,
slowly leaning towards crocs
All stuff sacks are silnylon..
Thanx for the great tips guys.. peace

Twofiddy
05-15-2006, 22:19
So far that list looks pretty good.

In terms of redundancies:
- platy and gatorade bottles?
- silnylon pack cover and trash compactor pack liner?
- dr bronner's and hand sanitizer?
- beanie hat and baseball cap?
- duct tape and silnylon repair kit?
- duct tape and needle/thread?

In terms of extras:
- mini-biners?
- silnylon wallet? You won't be using it at all.
- misc silnylon small zip? The Essence pack is loaded with storage options.
- campshoes?
- scissors?

In terms of safety:
- 6 batteries would seem safer than 4. 3 reserved for the petzel, 3 for everything else.

I agree with everything above about the redundance.
I would get rid of the TIKKA and carry a Black Diamond ION.
I would leave the extra AAA batteries at home.
I would ditch the fleece pull over. If you get that cold you can just wrap up in your bag liner, and you can wear your pack cover too as a vapor barrier. All those batteries in all those electronics... listen to less music and hiker harder, and turn off the LCD on your camera.
Additionally, try carrying a sun visor instead of a ball cap. It will cut down a little bit of weight and still give your eyes sun protection. If you are bald just wear a bandanna and the sun visor both.

SGT Rock
05-16-2006, 03:04
...month long Maine AT journey on June 28th...
Not sure what the temps could hit, but I would expect you may want to be ready for temperatures below freezing when at altitude?

Six Moon Designs Essence Backpack...13 ozs.
silnylon pack cover..........................2.4
Reccomended max base weight on that pack is close to what you are carrying now without computing the extra few things. Also, the pack material is sil-coat nylon. In this case you may want to look at a simple trash compactor bag for a liner instead of a sil-nylon pack cover since the pack itself is not likely to absorb a lot of water, and the bag inside can be lighter and will be protected by the pack

HennessyH Ul BP Asym................................31

JRB Summer Quilt............................15
Gossemar Gear Nightlight pad............3.7
silk bag liner...................................4.3

Depending on the temperatures you plan to expect at night, that pad may not be enough. Your experience will let you know.

Clothes.........................................33 .7
-thermal top & bottom
-Fleece Pullover
-duofold tee shirt
-duofold boxer brief
2 Pairs extra socks.........................5.5
2 Bandanas...................................2
DriDucks Rain (jacket&pants)............11.7
beanie hat & fleece gloves...............3.4
Pack Towel...................................1.5

2.5 liter platypus...........................1.2
Polar Pure (full).............................5.0
(will use 2 1 liter gatorade bottle on trail)
personally I would reccomend one gatorade bottle and one platapus.

Ion Stove....................................0.7
MSR Windscreen...........................1.6
AGG 3 cup pot w/cozy...................4.7

Seems like that is a lot of windscreen for the Ion. My kits come with a much lighter screen that can work for a pot up to 7" diameter. You may want to look at trimming that down a little.

Lexen Foon..........................................0.4
8 oz. Denatured Alcohol in tube.......8.8
kitchen stuff sack........................0.4

2 mini biners.................................0.35

What do you need these for? The weight ain't bad though so it doesn't matter much

4 ti stakes...................................0.85
Go to Wal-Mart and look in the gardening section for the plastic stakes used to hold down plastic cloth in gardes. They weigh 0.1 ounce each.

squirt multitool..............................1.9
iriver t10mp3 player(1 AA)...............4.6
Pentax optio digi cam(2 AA).............6.3
Petzel Tikka Headlamp(3 AAA)..........2.7

I would reccomend (eventually) you look for an MP3 player and camera that use the same batteries as your headlamp. The Creative Labs Zen Nano is a good one. Also, a Petzel Zipka with 3 AAA Li Ion Batteries weighs 1.9 ounces. The same weight savings could be applied to any small electronic that uses AAA by using Li Ion. My camera back home weighs about 5.7 ounces with 4 AAA and my older MP3 player weighed like 1.8 ounces with a single AAA LiIon. the batteries last as long as 3-5 sets of alkaline in those devices.

*Everything water touchy will be in ziplock bags

Compass Tool...............................2.0
maps & companion.........................5.0 max
Silnylon Wallet Lanyard w/3 plastic cards....0.8
toothbrush..................................0.07
Dr. Bronners................................2.8
misc silnylon small zip bag..............0.9
4 AA batteries.............................4.0 LiIon versions have a 10 year shelf life and weigh half as much

so far.. without water.......11.2 lbs :)

Things that I will pack but have yet to weigh

parachute cord
first aid........
a few assorted bandaids
1 ace bandage
1 large needle
thread (fishing line, dental floss, or other)
3 safety pins
4 nexproxen tabs
4 rollaids tabs
fair amount of duct tape
Trash Compactor Bag for Pack liner
3 AAA batteries
Cash

Things that are on the bubble
-Hand sanitizer

You could drop the Dr Bronners and just take a small bottle of this instead

-silnylon repair kit (do I need sissors?)
Nope, use your knife

-Camp Shoes (will probabbly regret if I leave at home)
Personal choice. You could just wear your running shoes in camp gangsta style with the laces all loose like slippers.

-toilette paper (seriously thinking there are tons of leaves out there)
Do what you are comfortable with. I like to still have some. Do the big work with leaves and finish up with some paper. It really doesn't weigh much.

I will be hiking in
mesh baseball cap
campmor convertible zip off pants (I HIKE COMANDO..ANYONE ELSE?)
duofold tee shirt
montrail mountain mist trail runners w/smartwool socks
Gossemar Gear Lightrek nonadjustable poles

So there it is.. I am shooting for a wet weight (2 liters of water, no food) of around 15 lbs...This will give me the leeway I need to blue blaze my way through the 100 mile semi-willderness with a little extra food!!

Thoughts, suggestions, redundancies, and concerns for my safety are welcome!!

Stir it up--
DawnTreader

Rambler
05-16-2006, 16:07
A good source for your stove's wind screen is the aluminum baking pans found in grocery stores usually in packets of two. Cut out the middles into strips.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_alcohol_stove_windscreen.html