PDA

View Full Version : Who's leading the pack?

2XL
04-22-2006, 06:51
Yes, I know its not a race , but I was wondering how far north the leading thrus are. A couple years ago I spotted thrus in CT. in early May.

RedneckRye
04-22-2006, 08:30
First one to Katahdin looses!!

Lone Wolf
04-22-2006, 08:32
Yes, I know its not a race , but I was wondering how far north the leading thrus are. A couple years ago I spotted thrus in CT. in early May.
A "thru-hike" IS a marathon of sorts. No getting around it.

KirkMcquest
04-22-2006, 08:36
I agree with redneck, seems like you're just missing out on alot by racing thru.

rickb
04-22-2006, 08:45
I agree with redneck, seems like you're just missing out on alot by racing thru

Plenty of time to be a sloth when you become retired thru hiker. Its not like the Trail goes away after you reach Katahdin. :D

kyerger
04-22-2006, 13:15
I'm starting a flip-flop in Waynesboro on june 4. Do you think the pack will be that far north by then?

gsingjane
04-22-2006, 13:48
My son's Scout troop ran into Will Call at the bottom of St. John's Ledges in CT last weekend. He said he had left Springer on 1/3. When we were out this past week in NY, all up and down the trail people were saying they had run into him or heard of him.

Jane in CT

mnof1000v
04-22-2006, 15:49
Red Dane, Will Call, Moleman, Jolly Green Giant, Pebbles, Fat Camp, Xaiprn (or something like that), Woody Crow, Coconut Monkey, Do-Rag, and Slip-N-Slide are all ahead of me. I'm in Montebello, VA.

cls
05-03-2006, 13:35
Will Call seems to be in front. There was a guy named Trek who was gaining but I have not seen his name in the registers lately. There is Bear,who went through Duncannon a few days ago. Red Dane went through Duncannon MondayMay 1. I arrived here May 2, leaving May 4. At ATC hq in Harpers Ferry Will Call had checked in number 1. Red Dane was 5 and I was 6. Don't remember who the others were.

The Solemates
05-03-2006, 13:53

in 04? that might have been us...

Buckles
05-03-2006, 22:57
Isn't it, "First to Mt. Katahdin experienced the least." ?

Traction
05-03-2006, 23:09
I'm starting a flip-flop in Waynesboro on june 4. Do you think the pack will be that far north by then?

there are quite a bit of thrus comin' throught the shennies right now.. so yea, i'd say there will be a pack.. the pack? i don't know.. but definitely a pack.. :-?

Traction
05-03-2006, 23:10
by quite a few.. i mean 4-5 a day

map man
05-03-2006, 23:49
Kyerger, if past history holds up the median eventually-successful thru-hiker would be in Harpers Ferry on June 4. About two thirds of this field would be ahead of you and one third behind you if you start from Waynesboro then.

2XL
05-04-2006, 06:45
in 04? that might have been us...
It may have been, it was day hiking near Belters Bump. Three weeks later
I meet Hogwalker, while doing my section of the photo project

MOWGLI
05-04-2006, 06:58
Isn't it, "First to Mt. Katahdin experienced the least." ?

Of course not. You hear this kinda stuff all the time - even on the trail. "They're hiking too fast. They couldn't possibly be enjoying themselves."

I finished on August 21, and while it would have been great to spend Fall in New England, that wasn't going to happen. Not in 2000 anyway. I had a great hike - even though I had the "misfortune" of averaging 20+ mpd from Shenandoah NP to Glencliff, NH. I was still walking 8-10 hours a day - 6.5 days a week. It's not like I had my eyes closed.

Similarly, I envy Squeaky for his experiences last year. Someday.... the PCT beckons.

Jaybird
05-04-2006, 07:45

Just got back from 11 days of section-hiking in VA...& "Jigsaw" & i hiked with thru-hikers that started in early to mid March.

So most of them should be entering SNP now heading NOBO!
Go Class of 2006!:D

Jack Tarlin
05-04-2006, 08:34
Geez, like it's a big accomplishment to start in wintertime, experience tons of freezing weather, miss the southern spring, and arrive up North just in time for Black Fly season.

Yeah, that sounds like a really fun thing to do. No wonder there are so many folks who want to hike to like this!

MOWGLI
05-04-2006, 08:52
Geez, like it's a big accomplishment to start in wintertime, experience tons of freezing weather, miss the southern spring, and arrive up North just in time for Black Fly season.

How is it less of an "accomplishment" then starting at any other time or in a SOBO direction?

Jack Tarlin
05-04-2006, 09:04
Mowgli, I never said that leaving early and hiking really fast was a lesser accomplishment.

I was merely suggesting that it doesn't sound like a particularly fun way to hike.

But to each their own.

The Solemates
05-04-2006, 09:52
It may have been, it was day hiking near Belters Bump. Three weeks later
I meet Hogwalker, while doing my section of the photo project

never heard of hogwalker, but we were in CT in early to mid May in 04. there was about 3-4 hikers that were a week behind us and 1-2 a week ahead.

mingo
05-04-2006, 10:09
i met will call in the shenny. he said he started in january because that's when they let him take off from work. he's a college professor. i'm not sure how he's going to make it through the whites this time of year.

Nean
05-04-2006, 10:44
Mowgli, I never said that leaving early and hiking really fast was a lesser accomplishment.

I was merely suggesting that it doesn't sound like a particularly fun way to hike.

But to each their own.

It is BIG fun Jack, as fun is a frame of mind; same goes for accomplishment.;)

warren doyle
05-04-2006, 14:33
The 'fun factor' is not the highest priority for all AT thru-hikers. I can have fun easily but to challenge myself in an environment that knows neither prejudice nor discrimination; where no favors are granted; and, where you have to rely on yourself is a more valuable experience for me.

Jack Tarlin
05-04-2006, 14:38
"Where you have to rely on yourself?"

Geez, interesting sentiment from someone's who's relied on a driver and support vehicle for most of AT miles.

Some challenge.

mingo
05-04-2006, 14:47
"Where you have to rely on yourself?"

Geez, interesting sentiment from someone's who's relied on a driver and support vehicle for most of AT miles.

Some challenge.

you've got a stick up your ass. stop being so negative, jackie

Jack Tarlin
05-04-2006, 15:25
At 18:36 hours today, on another thread, I suggested that Mingo would be happier without a stick up his ass all the time.

At 18:47 hours today, he expressed duplicate sentiments towards me.

Geeez, Mingo, if you're gonna do nothing but insult people here all the time, is it too much to ask that you come up with something original?

And as for me being negative, take a look at some of your OWN threads, like your recent hysterics about your alleged abuse by Ridgerunners. In point of fact, Mingo is about the most consistently negative person here at WB, and truly, he isn't worth arguing with.

So I'll leave him soaking in his own bile and move on to something else.

mingo
05-04-2006, 15:30
i've just been poking fun at your pomposity a little bit, jack. your head seems a little large for a shiftless bum.

Jack Tarlin
05-04-2006, 16:06
Actually, Mingo, except for a few short breaks, I've been at work all day long (I'm taking a few weeks off the Trail and hope to get back soon).

And I was working steadily til the day before I left for Springer. I expect to return to all three of my jobs in the fall in case you're interested.

Instead of insulting people and talking trash about folks whose lives you evidently know nothing about, why not go for a hike or something?

Ender
05-04-2006, 17:21
What is this, yet another WD based pissing thread? Chill out people.

Jack, I like you and respect you greatly, honestly, but really, maybe not jumping on each and every thread of WD's wouldn't be the worst idea. And really, I do say this with the level of respect that I feel you deserve, which I believe to be high.

Alligator
05-04-2006, 17:25
What is this, yet another WD based pissing thread? Chill out people.

Jack, I like you and respect you greatly, honestly, but really, maybe not jumping on each and every thread of WD's wouldn't be the worst idea. And really, I do say this with the level of respect that I feel you deserve, which I believe to be high.
Jack was on this thread first Ender. In fact, Warren was actually responding to Jack, a known internegator. Warren shouldn't paint himself into a corner, so to speak.

Ender
05-04-2006, 17:28
I understand that. But why should the rest of us have to endure this pissing contest every time the two of them post on the same thread. One of them should act the bigger person, and Jack's a good person and shouldn't get all riled up by someone who's pushing his buttons.

Alligator
05-04-2006, 17:35
I understand that. But why should the rest of us have to endure this pissing contest every time the two of them post on the same thread. One of them should act the bigger person, and Jack's a good person and shouldn't get all riled up by someone who's pushing his buttons.
I am sorry, I cannot answer your question. Dial or say, 5 8 for JT or 9 3 for WD.

Or please stay on the line and an operator will assist you shortly.:sun

Jack Tarlin
05-04-2006, 17:50
Ender:

Go back and re-read the thread. It was Warren (Post #24) commenting on something that was said by ME that got this going, and not me "jumping on every thread of WD's." And incidentally, this wasn't his thread in the first place; secondly, nobody was jumping on him. I was merely commenting on how amusing it was for an individual known to primarily use vehicular support during his hikes to crow about the joys of relying on one's self, and how he finds this sort of travelling to be a "challenge."

Ender, Warren's comment about the joys of self-reliance is pretty damned funny, considering his decades-long attachment to his support vehicle. When a hiker as well-known as Warren says something this absurd, it's perfectly OK to comment on it, and if this makes me a small person in your eyes, well I guess I can live with that.

But for you to accuse me of attacking Warren at every opportunity or of "jumping" on him whenever I can, this is simply untrue. In point of fact, there are many occasions on Whiteblaze where he's written something equally ridiculous as the self-reliance comment, and I haven't commented at all, much less jumped on him. And for good reason:

Pointing out the silliness of much of his postings here at WB is usually not unnecessary. He manages to get this across just fine on his own.

Tin Man
05-04-2006, 22:07
Please do not feed the troll (except AT Troll).

Tin Man
05-04-2006, 22:16
We don't need no stinking contest. Instead we should continue to celebrate accomplished hikers we know. Most examples stated so far sound like hikers who all deserve our recognition. Is there an award for distinguished slow hiker? :-?

MedicineMan
05-05-2006, 05:28
“........the most complete man I ever met.”

“........yours are the truest footprints I’ve ever followed.”

“......he’s looser than a bucket of juice.”

“......the Abbie Hoffman of the AT!”

what does it mean to be looser than a bucket of juice????

MOWGLI
05-05-2006, 06:25
what does it mean to be looser than a bucket of juice????

I carry Immodium AD for such occurrences.

warren doyle
05-05-2006, 08:04
“......he’s looser than a bucket of juice.”

MM: This was said by an elderly mountain man/farmer after he witnessed my flatfooting/clogging at the Whitetop Ramp Festival (which is held the Sunday of Damascus Trail Days).
In the 70/80's, many AT hikers attended this event to observe a fine local community/non-corporate festival to raise funds for the fire department/rescue squad and to celebrate the musical/dance traditions of the Virginia Highlands. This festival used to be held atop Whitetop where thousands would attend, including Eleanor Roosevelt.
I plan to attend this year's ramp festival because it serves as an inspiration to me after seeing (on early Sunday morning) the fenced-in, toxic-waste, beer can strewn Trail Days campground partially populated by the 'Lost Generation'. Not a pretty sight to me.

Jack Tarlin
05-05-2006, 09:38
What a lovely description of your fellow hikers, Warren. Glad to see you hold these folks in such high regard.

Quick comment: Your absence in the campground is not exactly viewed as a major calamity.

And incidentally, you've also publicly stated you won't be at the ALDHA Gathering either.

It'll be interesting to see if you keep your word.

Alligator
05-05-2006, 10:29
http://www.good-credit-bad-credit.info/images/pic-credit-repair.jpg

hammock engineer
05-05-2006, 11:28
Back on topic, not that there is anything wrong with the disscusion, I do not know who is leading the pack but I think that I am going to be bring up the rear.

By the time that I start in July, a lot of other people will be almost done or have finished. Maybe I'll pass NOBO's on both ends of my trip.

Jaybird
05-05-2006, 11:56
BACK ON TOPIC....again...

i recently hiked (APR 22-May 2) with THRU-HIKERS (starting in early MARCH):

Bugs, Compass, Restless(AT01), Homebrew, Clothespin & Thoreau (her dog), Red B & L.P.(his dog), Piece o' work, Mango, Bravefoot, Mr Rogers & Tree-Girl,
Buree, Chestnut, Swiftcreek & Smallwonder, Helium & Freckles (dog) Two-Shoes, Boy Floyd, Red Dog, Sticker & Wayfarer, Sparrowhawk, BlisterButt,
Stogie, Greg & Lance (dog), Sparrow & Hutch (2001 thru-hiekrs), Leftfielder (R.A.T.C.)

most were doing 15-20 miles days on a regular basis & heading for S.N.P.

:D

Little Brother
05-05-2006, 13:03

Yeah, that sounds like a really fun thing to do. No wonder there are so many folks who want to hike to like this!

I met Will Call at the PenMar line when my brother and I were doing a section hike in March. He started in January because that was when he could get the time off. From January to June. No macho, bravado garbage. He was just hiking his hike. Like everyone else out there!!!!!!!!

Jack Tarlin
05-05-2006, 13:17
LB--

I respect anyone's right to hike their own hike, and this includes leaving (and therefore, finishing) early.

I was merely observing that there are all sorts of reasons for NOT wanting to hike this way.

Every year there are a few hikers, usually fairly young ones, who seem to think it's somehow significant, to be the "first" Northbounder.

Other than the handful of folks who think this designation is important, I assure you that 99.9% of the rest of the hikers could not care less.

In my experience, I've met scores of hikers who regretted their haste during their journey, and later wished they'd slowed down a bit, taken their time, spent more time in town, or more time enjoying their time on The Trail.

I have met almost none who in later years expressed the view that they wished they'd hiked quicker.

Little Brother
05-05-2006, 13:25
Will Call is not a young buck. This is his second thru hike. His first was in the 80's. It looked like he was taking a lot of flak on this thread for something that was assumed. I wanted to set the record straight for his sake.

The Solemates
05-05-2006, 13:25
...I assure you that 99.9% of the rest of the hikers could not care less.

You must be in that 0.1% then, because you sure do like to post on WB about other's hikes.

The Solemates
05-05-2006, 13:26
Will Call is not a young buck. This is his second thru hike. His first was in the 80's. It looked like he was taking a lot of flak on this thread for something that was assumed. I wanted to set the record straight for his sake.

Dont worry about getting the record straight; I think we all understand. I too met Will Call at the NOC in mid-January just before the SoRuck. He is a college professor with only the spring semester off. He has to go back to teaching in the summer.

The Solemates
05-05-2006, 13:27
This is his 20th anniversary hike. He first thru'd in 1986.

mingo
05-05-2006, 13:32
You must be in that 0.1% then, because you sure do like to post on WB about other's hikes.

you don't understand. jack gets to comment because he knows it all.

Tin Man
05-05-2006, 13:38
I think it is best to sit back and watch Jack and Warren duke it out. I find it quite entertaining. And I also stick to the premise that we don't need no stinking contest.

Jack Tarlin
05-05-2006, 13:43
Gee, Solemate, I guess you missed the line which said I respect anyone's right to start or finish whenever they wished.

Try reading other people's comments before posting, and your remarks might come off better.

Otherwise, they're just snotty.

And it's nice to see Mingo is being his usual self today.

Some things just never change.

By the way, Mingo, I sure in hell don't know it all.

But when it come to the Trail, I sure in hell know more than YOU.

Hike more, and bitch less and maybe someday this will change.

mingo
05-05-2006, 13:48
By the way, Mingo, I sure in hell don't know it all.

But when it come to the Trail, I sure in hell know more than YOU.

Hike more, and bitch less and maybe someday this will change.

for sure, jack. i never could have thought of that "hike your own hike" thing that you laid on us a few minutes ago. what an original idea! and i had no idea that they make poncho tarps, as you revealed to us all yesterday. we are so lucky to have your constant advice and knowledge here on WB.

Jack Tarlin
05-05-2006, 13:49
You're welcome. Glad to be of service, pal.

The Solemates
05-05-2006, 14:59
Gee, Solemate, I guess you missed the line which said I respect anyone's right to start or finish whenever they wished.

Try reading other people's comments before posting, and your remarks might come off better.

Otherwise, they're just snotty.

Ive read every post on this thread (and have read many of your comments on WB over the years) and its quite obvious to me, and obviously to others, which is evidenced by other's commentaries to your remarks, that contrary to your belief, your remarks are usually the snotty ones. Most of us just usually let it slide with a quick roll of the eyes, as if to say, "that's just Jack being Jack," because we know that anything we say will immediately be refuted by your innate ability to "argue with a wall," so to speak. I'm sure you do a lot for the trail community, and I am sure first-time thru-hikers appreciate your willingness to help in any way possible, but I, and others on WB who I have specifically discussed this exact issue with, am of the opinion that many of your posts go unnoticed, or perhaps even unread, because I would venture to say 60% of the time they orginate in a very condescending manner. Just a thought....and Im sure you will respond with thoughts of your own.

Jack Tarlin
05-05-2006, 15:46
Nope.

You get 20 seconds, which is about all your whining is worth.

Have a nice day.

The Solemates
05-05-2006, 15:54
Nope.

You get 20 seconds, which is about all your whining is worth.

Have a nice day.

Now thats the spirit! Perhaps you are changing Jack. I look forward to your improvement on the WB forums!

Jack Tarlin
05-05-2006, 16:00
Every waking moment of my life is a spent searching for your approval.

Have a nice day.

The Solemates
05-05-2006, 16:10
got to have...

K0OPG
05-05-2006, 19:55
Jeez-o-peets

:-? Hey Jack and Mingo...can you guys just kiss and make-up?

If you two want to bitch at each other, swap phone numbers or emails and do it privately. Or how about that celebrity boxing TV show?

It seems that everytime I get on WB, you two are going at it. If your not bitching at each other, then it is towards someone else.

Jack attacked warren doyle for having support vehicles. whoopee ****. Did he hike all the miles? Has he done it many times? Yes. Who freaking cares HOW he did it, he did it. JUST LIKE YOU!

Remember the saying "HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE"?

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to skip your two posts whenever I see them.

betic4lyf
05-05-2006, 22:28
everyone needs to stop arguing. we all are diffrent and know things others dont. hear each other out, back up what you say with personal experience, and dont get personal. i doubt any of these arguments would go on if you where face to face. people lose their social graces online

ed bell
05-05-2006, 23:30
people lose their social graces onlineI will admit that I enjoy when this happens, from time to time. Usually I am not involved, though. In a way, discussions are enhanced by the forum medium, interest is kept up when these little flame wars erupt. The best policy in my book is to take the animosity with a grain of salt. After all, we are all hikers here, and I am always happy to be in the company of fellow hikers.:sun

cls
05-10-2006, 15:43
Ran into Warren Doyle as I was coming down the north side of Big Bald back in March We had lunch at the shelter and he offered to take my pack on to Erwin so I could slackpack the rest of the way. That allowed me to get there that day instead of the next so I got an unexpected zero day. Nice guy as far as I'm concerned.

TinAbbey
05-15-2006, 06:59
for anyone thats actually interested and read thru a bunch of **** to get to the end. I was 35 of the nobos that registered in harpers ferry and i will add what i remember to yahtzee's list. in no order...I might accidently list some that are doing a long section. but no matter
red ranger
red dane
pabert
bone pac
hatteras jack
taco
do rag
bleach
guns of jesus
travelling dingleberries
chronic
woody crow
coconut monkey
william and jon
fat camp and pebbles
erin and grahm
pinky
kaptain
sunshine
lockjaw
slip n slide
moses

I'm missing a couple but that is just about the first 35 thru HF

TinAbbey
05-15-2006, 07:26
oh and also
jolly green giant
spiritual pillgram

twowheeler
05-26-2006, 23:51
don't forget

batman
robin's nest
trek

MedicineMan
05-27-2006, 00:41
since i'm one of them...Mango (on trailjournals) just past duncannon, he just retired ands gotta be 60....he's also a neighbor down the lake...when you get bored read his journal, quality writing.

saimyoji
05-27-2006, 13:16
Dreamer (55) should be on his way to Culvers Gap today or tomorrow. Guess that Ensure really does work eh? :D

jazilla
07-07-2006, 16:30
How about and up date any one

gumball
07-08-2006, 08:39
Dreamer was heading into NH at the beginning of this week. Husband hopes to talk with him sometime over the weekend.

Footslogger
07-11-2006, 12:17
We just passed thru Speck Pond Lean-to 3 days ago. We met 5 northbounders ...

Mole Man
Salsa
Fat Camp
Pebbles
Jolly Green Giant

They are all about 3 weeks away from Katahdin now. Only other northbounders we met between Rangeley and Gorham were Rocky and Bullwinkle. Ran into them coming through the Mahoosuc Notch 2 days ago so they are about a day behind the group of 5 listed above.

Not many hikers on the trail up here actually. Most of the SOBO's are already thru and there seems to be a bubble behind the first group and the larger masses of NOBO's ...at least here in Gorham.

'Slogger