PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pads

Tin Man
04-22-2006, 10:46
I am looking for a commercial product to attach to/or replace my shoulder straps to give me extra padding. I carry a Mountainsmith Spectre pack and, being of slim build, my shoulders get sore quickly. I usually stuff my gloves under the straps and it makes all the difference in the world. However, my hiking partner/brother thinks I look dopey and since he frequently takes pictures of me while hiking he likes to point out how dopey I look to others. I wouldn't care so much, but I do drop the gloves and have to adjust quite a bit. (I do keep the hip belt tight and the load seems well balanced. And I know I should consider a lighter pack, but ultralight hiking is not my style.) I was wondering if there was a commercial product that attaches to my current straps that would give me the comfort I am looking for. I have tried a few googles, but came up short of anything interesting. Anyone know of such a product?

Just Jeff
04-22-2006, 10:54
Just sew some open cell foam to some DWR, then sew it into a tube that'll slide over your straps.

If you don't sew, you might be able to find some seat belt covers made from a good enough material to work well. But most of them are cotton, I think. The ones I'm talking about are ~18" long and big enough to fit around a seat belt, and you slide them up to where the seat belt rests on your shoulder. Though you could probably find a car seat at Goodwill for about $10 and take the pads from that - it may be sized better for this use.

Or sew a pocket onto the back of your straps to hold a sock...would do the same thing as your gloves without adding any additional weight.

Footslogger
04-22-2006, 11:04
If you really think you need em ...I'd go with the foam approach already mentioned. Just take an old foam sleeping pad and cut yourself a couple strips of foam about the same width as the shoulder straps and then duct tape them in place.

'Slogger

LostInSpace
04-22-2006, 11:13
Or just cut the toes out of some socks and slide them over the shoulder straps. My hiking partner carries fleece socks that she just tucks under the straps.

Tin Man
04-22-2006, 12:37
Great replies. Thanks!