PDA

View Full Version : Pack size

Crispi72
04-22-2006, 21:23
How big should a weekend pack be. I carry 15 pounds without food. any suggestions. i was thinking 54 four litres. might be a little small

joel137
04-22-2006, 23:40
At the risk of sounding trite, it should be big enough to carry your 15 lb and a weekends worth of food.

If you have your gear, bring it to the store to see if it fits in a bag your interested in.

titanium_hiker
04-23-2006, 00:17
I plan on using my 50L bag for extended hikes. It's all about lessening the gear. I can pack a lot of luxuries just for weekend/short hikes, there is SO much room. - but a bulky sleeping bag can eat it all up though.

I am of a smaller frame, and a smaller bag is comfortable to wear.

TH

Peaks
04-23-2006, 10:14
Pack size all depends on how big/bulky your gear is. So, take your 15 pounds of gear to your local outfitter, and load up some different packs and find out what works for you.

Just Jeff
04-23-2006, 10:32
As the others said, it depends on what gear you use, so take it to the store with you and start stuffing it in packs until you find something comfortable. If the outfitter won't let you, politely explain that you'll find an outfitter with better customer service.

But if you want an idea of where to start, it's not tough to go quite a bit smaller than 54L for a weekend pack. That's roughly what I use for 5 day trips, and I bring a few luxuries (mostly in the food, like fresh fruit instead of dried ramen). But I also use down, which compresses more than synthetics - so 54L might be just right for you if your gear is bulkier than mine.

The only real difference between an overnight pack and a week-long pack is how much food you carry. That's why extension collars are good for weekend hikers who occasionally fit in a longer hike. So if you want a weekend pack that you can also use for the occasional longer trip, you might try something like a 45L pack that's expandable to 54L. Again, assuming your gear fits inside.

Fiddler
04-23-2006, 16:17
Also it's a good idea to load up several different packs and try them on (if you go to an outfitter) to see which one feels best on you.

Wolf - 23000
04-29-2006, 23:15
I used an REI Flash UL in March heading Hot Springs to Springer Mountain, GA, cost $25 - weight less than 6 oz after cutting off the extras. Holds 1050 cb/in.

Wolf