PDA

View Full Version : Another Bear Attack

Lion King
04-23-2006, 11:50
This time in Washington State in Olympia. hope the bears get it out of their systems before I get that far North on the PCT.

I wont make as good a meal for them after 2500 miles...now if they wanted to eat me at the Mexican border...Vios Mio! They would eat well.

I really dont know if Vios Mio is a word, but if you say it in a Mexican accent it sounds urgent.

ed bell
04-23-2006, 12:22
Just read a quick article about this. Appears to be a hunter that was attacked. I sure hope he recovers. Local trooper says they get occasional cougar attacks in the area, but bear attacks are very rare. I guess that he is lucky his buddy was there.:-?

saimyoji
04-23-2006, 12:46
Link???????

ed bell
04-23-2006, 12:53
Sorry, I just figured a Hoston newspaper link was a little far away to be posted, just a quick search by the way.http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/3813253.html

saimyoji
04-23-2006, 13:13
Thanks.

10characters

TOW
04-23-2006, 14:41
Listen, the animals are getting tired of humans and have decided to retake the world........you can believe every word i'm telling ya because i'm an animal and have been given the inside doodoo on it from another animal........life as we knew it is over, prepare to be eaten......

Frosty
04-23-2006, 15:25
What a stupid bear!

Attacks a pair of hunters!

fishinfred
04-23-2006, 16:13
What s STUPID HUNTER who gets attacked by the BEAR HE IS HUNTING!:rolleyes:
Fishinfred

Lion King
04-23-2006, 16:28
What s STUPID HUNTER who gets attacked by the BEAR HE IS HUNTING!:rolleyes:
Fishinfred

He shoulda been fishin instead!:D

Tinker
04-23-2006, 18:21
This time in Washington State in Olympia. hope the bears get it out of their systems before I get that far North on the PCT.

I wont make as good a meal for them after 2500 miles...now if they wanted to eat me at the Mexican border...Vios Mio! They would eat well.

I really dont know if Vios Mio is a word, but if you say it in a Mexican accent it sounds urgent.

Re: "Vios Mio". It's very close to the Spanish "Dios Mio", which means "My God". Usually used with exclamation points (in Spanish, an inverted one before the quote and the standard one we are used to seeing in English after the quote).

Thanks for playing.;)

vipahman
04-23-2006, 19:01
Well, I might have attacked that hunter too if I was a bear. Then I would plead self defense. images/smilies/wink.gif

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-23-2006, 19:06
:eek: What's up with the black bears this year? Black bears have always stayed completely clear of us when we hiked in areas where hunting is allowed.

Skidsteer
04-23-2006, 19:36
now if they wanted to eat me at the Mexican border...Vios Mio! They would eat well.

Re: "Vios Mio". It's very close to the Spanish "Dios Mio", which means "My God". Usually used with exclamation points (in Spanish, an inverted one before the quote and the standard one we are used to seeing in English after the quote).

Tinker is correct.

If you had added via to the end of your phrase(Vios mio via), it could have been translated(very loosely) as " See my passage(orally)" Not an entirely unappropriate way of putting it, all things considered.:D

ed bell
04-23-2006, 19:36
:eek: What's up with the black bears this year? Black bears have always stayed completely clear of us when we hiked in areas where hunting is allowed.

Media hype. Nothing more. These encounters have been happening and will continue. I really don't know what happened to start this encounter, but the odds of this happening to a person in the woods has not likely changed one bit. I'll say again what I have said in many posts about this: brush up on your bear encounter prevention skills and always stay alert when travelling in active bear country. Protect yourself with knowledge and whatever else you need to stay safe. I'm not gonna stop backpacking and I'm not gonna worry myself about it.:sun

Almost There
04-23-2006, 19:47
Had a buddy who's grandfather and uncle used to bow hunt bears. Anyways, the uncle tagged this bear one time and it wasn't a clean kill...the dude went after it and the bear circled around on him and if the grandpa hadn't been there...dinner for bear?

Tin Man
04-23-2006, 20:25
Media hype. Nothing more. These encounters have been happening and will continue.

I am beginning to think so too. The media jumps all over a shark bite, a bear bite, or other encounters with critters when there is a slow media day or when they just want to scare up some interest in the news. After readers have been inundated with all the war news, politics, entertainers getting arrested, there is nothing like a good animal attack to get readers back and chatting around the water coolers and Internet forums.

ZEKE #2
04-24-2006, 08:59
The hunter was chasing the bear! Kinda like the tourists in Yellowstone who walk up and feed the bears. Kinda like the Grizzly Man who thought he was one with the bear. You gotta think when you are in the woods. Carelessness breeds accidents.

Sly
04-24-2006, 09:42
Sorry, although I hope he recovers, I can't muster much sympathy for the hunter. If you want to go shoot something dead, expect a little bad karma now and then.

Frosty
04-24-2006, 10:03
Sorry, although I hope he recovers, I can't muster much sympathy for the hunter. If you want to go shoot something dead, expect a little bad karma now and then.I tend to agree, but since I eat meat I am in pretty much the same kharma boat as the hunter. In fact, the only difference between hunters who kill animals and people like me who buy packages of meat in the supermarket is that I pay people to kill animals and butcher them. And of course most all of us pay money to people so that animals can be killed for clothing attire. Not fur, but most of us wear leather shoes and belts. If there is any cosmic justice, in our next lives we'll all end up together in a big bucket of KFC. :D

Sly
04-24-2006, 10:39
Well, although eating meat isn't absolutely necessary, eating meat raised for consumption is a bit different that bagging a wild and free animal.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against hunting if you use the kill to feed and cloth or shelter your family, but still there are risks and karma. I'm not too keen on trophy hunters and could care less what happens to them.

Lion King
04-24-2006, 11:14
Sorry, although I hope he recovers, I can't muster much sympathy for the hunter. If you want to go shoot something dead, expect a little bad karma now and then.

Yup...as an example, I was out walking by my Families pond and I got jumped by a young group of LargeMouth Bass that were hiding in the overflow by the dam...it was a close call but I got away.:D

and I'll fish again.:banana

Sly
04-24-2006, 11:21
LOL... When you start catching bear with a fishing pole or a drop line let's us know!

sparky2000
04-24-2006, 11:30
I'm glad that the Govt. at least pretends to manage the wildlife through hunting. No hunting would mean illegal hunters. Like the MaryJane thing.

Heater
04-24-2006, 11:39
I am beginning to think so too. The media jumps all over a shark bite, a bear bite, or other encounters with critters when there is a slow media day or when they just want to scare up some interest in the news. After readers have been inundated with all the war news, politics, entertainers getting arrested, there is nothing like a good animal attack to get readers back and chatting around the water coolers and Internet forums.

That's right! It's a right wing government conspiracy with the aid of the
Fox news co-conspirators to draw attention away from the war, oil and immigration issues.

That's it! :-?

...and Natalie Holloway too.

Heater
04-24-2006, 11:41

It's just the bears way of saying "hell no, we won't go"... :D

Sly
04-24-2006, 11:47
I'm glad that the Govt. at least pretends to manage the wildlife through hunting. No hunting would mean illegal hunters. Like the MaryJane thing.

I'm not quite sure I get the connection between hunting and weed....

Personally, I'd like to see limited hunting in the National Parks to "manage" the numbers and instill fear of humans in areas where bears are spoiled by those not willing to defend their food.

woodsy
04-24-2006, 15:49
Good point Sly, about bears anyway. With an annual bear hunt in Maine, hardly ever hear about bear/human encounters cause they know better than to hang out with humans...and dogs too. Dogs are often used to track and tree the bruins. Donuts and other treats are also used to attract them to the stand, these they have trouble resisting and makes it easy for the so called 'sportsman' to bag a bear.
Biggest bear bagged in Maine was near Kathadin at a dump and weighed over 600 lbs.

Lion King
04-24-2006, 15:58
I'm not quite sure I get the connection between hunting and weed....

Growers in Washington use Bears on ropes tied to trees by their crops to warn them of invaders.

Much like the 'monkey on a string' in the Leonardo Movie "The Beach" with the Columbians who had the fields watched over by the monkey tied to a branch.

Shutterbug
04-24-2006, 17:14

So far, I have not read anything that tells exactly where the hunter was, but I often hike the trails in Olympic National Park near Forks. The Ozette Ranger Station is west of Forks.

Shutterbug
04-24-2006, 17:26
So far, I have not read anything that tells exactly where the hunter was, but I often hike the trails in Olympic National Park near Forks. The Ozette Ranger Station is west of Forks.

I found another version of the story on line:

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_042406WABbear_provokedSW.6841ae84.html

That in a different location than I assumed. Olympic National Park has two sections. The main section is east of Forks, WA. The area where I hike is along the Pacific Ocean that is west of Forks.

Sly
04-24-2006, 18:01
Good point Sly, about bears anyway. With an annual bear hunt in Maine, hardly ever hear about bear/human encounters cause they know better than to hang out with humans...and dogs too. Dogs are often used to track and tree the bruins. Donuts and other treats are also used to attract them to the stand, these they have trouble resisting and makes it easy for the so called 'sportsman' to bag a bear.

Yup, baiting bears with food and/or treeing them with (radio collared) dogs isn't my idea of "sport" either.

Growing up we had an archery shop in town and Fred Bear was well picture and revered. Atleast bow hunting gives the game a sporting chance and has to be more challenging.

Dances with Mice
04-24-2006, 18:22
Yup, baiting bears with food ... isn't my idea of "sport" either. Especially not the chocaholic bears. http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=nc&id=653107

Farmer
04-24-2006, 18:48

Would you feel better if he shot it and it didn't die? Karma? So, karma helped the bear try to get even?

Tin Man
04-24-2006, 18:51
That's right! It's a right wing government conspiracy with the aid of the
Fox news co-conspirators to draw attention away from the war, oil and immigration issues.

That's it! :-?

...and Natalie Holloway too.

OK, so maybe it is not a conspiracy. Perhaps it is more filler material. Since crop circles and alien abductions are no longer popular, the media is going with something closer to earth to scare people. Watch them blame the latest bear attacks on the Grizzly Bait Dude for stirring up the war between man and beast.

Mother's Finest
04-24-2006, 19:01
lion king, I am quite sure that comment regarding growers and bears was made in jest.......

Sly
04-24-2006, 19:06
Would you feel better if he shot it and it didn't die? Karma? So, karma helped the bear try to get even?

Yeah, I guess but I would have preferred that there was no confrontation to begin with or the hunter shot and missed.

Karma didn't help the bear get even, it helped the hunter/dog handler get mauled. There's a subtle difference.

ed bell
04-24-2006, 19:16
I found another version of the story on line:

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_042406WABbear_provokedSW.6841ae84.html

That in a different location than I assumed. Olympic National Park has two sections. The main section is east of Forks, WA. The area where I hike is along the Pacific Ocean that is west of Forks.
This is a better source I think simply because it is local. The Houston news outlet I posted a link to was the first and only I could find. Chasing a bear with the dogs while the gun is behind you? I don't know squat about bear hunting, but since I doubt you could keep up with the dogs, wouldn't you stay with the weapon or have one yourself? I guess the only thing for hikers to learn from this one is to avoid chasing bears.

woodsy
04-24-2006, 20:39
Must have been something wrong with this guy (upstairs) , know what I mean? Who in their right mind would chase after a bear, with or without dog.

Lion King
04-24-2006, 21:01
lion king, I am quite sure that comment regarding growers and bears was made in jest.......

Most everything I say is in Jest!
:D

Thats how I seperate the jovial from the serious.