PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice for 7 day hike...

jawilson20
04-24-2006, 11:25
I am going to have the opportunity for a 7 days hike during the second week of May. I am interested in the NGA, WNC, or ETN area. I am looking to do 12-15 miles per day. I would like for it to be a loop but that is not nessecarry as I have family that I coud arrange shuttle with. Shelters or not nessecarry, not is the AT. Thanks is advance!

jawilson20
04-24-2006, 22:12
So no advice...?

Tin Man
04-24-2006, 22:26
You may want to try your question again in English. Just a thought. :)

RITBlake
04-24-2006, 22:27
I am going to have the opportunity for a 7 days hike during the second week of May. I am interested in the NGA, WNC, or ETN area. I am looking to do 12-15 miles per day. I would like for it to be a loop but that is not nessecarry as I have family that I coud arrange shuttle with. Shelters or not nessecarry, not is the AT. Thanks is advance!

It wasn't a tough code to crack....Northern Georgia, Western North Carolina, Eastern Tenn?? what do I win?

Mountain Man
04-24-2006, 22:29
You could do the AT from Springer over to the South side of Blood Mt. and pick up the Duncan Ridge trail back around to the AT. Comes back in at Long creek falls.

Tin Man
04-24-2006, 22:34
It wasn't a tough code to crack....Northern Georgia, Western North Carolina, Eastern Tenn?? what do I win?

I got that part, even if I am from CT too. :D It was the rest of the post that was a little muddled.

Skidsteer
04-24-2006, 22:45
You could do the AT from Springer over to the South side of Blood Mt. and pick up the Duncan Ridge trail back around to the AT. Comes back in at Long creek falls.

An excellent suggested hike for a week. Here's Dances with Mice's (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8770&highlight=duncan+ridge+trail)description of the Duncan Ridge Trail.

Another thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8728&highlight=duncan+ridge+trail).

And another. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7805&highlight=duncan+ridge+trail)

RITBlake
04-24-2006, 22:47
why not do the smokies? At just about 107, 108 miles from Fontana to Hot Springs it works out to be just about 15 miles a day. I imagine the smokies are pretty stunning in the spring time. You could get dropped off on the trail near Fontana and hike to HS where you could arrange for a shuttle back through Bluff Mtn Outfitters. If you decide to do this section nobo be prepared for a pretty tough 1st day out of Fontana. We did it southbound and it was a lot of downhill to the dam. But 15 miles is def doable through the smokies. Wake up early enough and you can easily get 10 miles in by lunch time. If you think thats too much, you can do 70 miles from Gatlinburg to Hot Springs through the Smokies. You would only be missing about 30 miles of the Smokies and you would still get some great hiking in.

snowhoe
04-24-2006, 23:35
I can tell what section not hike and that is from N.O.C to Fontana . I will never, never do that section again.

jawilson20
04-24-2006, 23:49
What so tough about NOC to Fontana?

g8trh8tr
04-25-2006, 21:25
I suggest the Foothills trail. Great hike that is 76 miles long and is a perfect week long hike.

Krewzer
04-25-2006, 21:42
...it's all good in that area. What are you interested in. Ridges? Deep Woods? Creek Rock Crazy? AT? BMT? Bartram? Joyce Kilmer? Smokies? Snowbird-> Maxpatch->Big Bald? Roan Highlands?
***Hike into Damascus for Trail Daze?***

You could blindfold me and drop me off anywhere in here for a week and I'd be happy.

It's a win win situation. Too many options. Narrow it down a bit.

mingo
04-25-2006, 22:05
i vote for the smokies. you get up high and stay there for a while. you could stretch out your trip with a side hike to mt leconte and/or gregory bald. some of the best scenery on the trail

Yonah Ada-Hi
04-26-2006, 21:58
What so tough about NOC to Fontana?

Climb from Wesser (NOC) to Swim Bald, that's what is so tough. One of my favorite weekend spots. I take lots of first timers here, more than a few reduced to tears, myself once or twice!