PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Designs Wicked Light question

mak
04-24-2006, 15:06
Iíve got a question about the Sierra Designs Wicked Light sleeping bags. Iíve seen a decent price on one and it appeared to be what I was looking for but then I started reading some negative comments online. Iím interested in the 45 degree one with the plain nylon bottom minus the bottom insulation. The negatives appear to be centered around the fact that it is drafty and there is not enough insulation at the side near the ground/pad. If it were being compared to a regular bag then this would make sense to me but what Iíve read negatively compares it to a regular quilt or other bags with no bottom insulation like Big Agnes or the WM Pods. Anyone have some first-hand experience with these who can explain?? Why is turning over in a quilt or sleeping on your side not a problem with a quilt but it is a problem with the Wicked Light? Is the Wicked Light just way too narrow or what? It looks plenty wide on the pics at Moontrail. Seems like it would be easier to keep on you than a regular quilt. I am a restless sleeper and do switch from back to sides several times during the night. Thanks for any input.

Just Jeff
04-24-2006, 20:17
It's pretty narrow compared to most dedicated top quilts. REI carries them - if you're considering it, it'd probably worth a phone call and a trip to have a look. Personally, I don't think I could be comfortable in one because it's so narrow and I'm generally a side sleeper. Using a 48" wide quilt in a hammock (the JRB) is no problem, though. And for how I sleep on the ground (rarely, but flopping from side to side when I do), I think that's about as narrow as I'd want to go on the ground, too. YMMV.

FWIW, I've never used one beyond checking it out at REI. It didn't take me long to figure out it wasn't for me.

mak
04-24-2006, 21:41
The local REIs don't carry that one or I would love to go try one out. I may go with the Big Agnes Yampa. Heavier but still under 2 lbs, should have more room inside too and will work better in my Hammock when I'm tree hanging. Thanks for the response.

Just Jeff
04-24-2006, 21:54
FWIW, I've heard lots of people happy with BA bags but very few even marginally satisfied with the SD Wicked line. But that's really just hearsay.

REI might have one delivered to the store if you ask them. Still might be worth an inspection so you can make up your own mind.

DawnTreader
04-24-2006, 22:20
I was looking at the wicked light.. I needed a light summer bag for my hammock... I went with the Jacks R Better Shennendoha summer quilt.. worth every penny.. so glad I chose the quilt instead of the wicked light.. The quilt is perfect for summer weather, and the jacks make quality quality gear..I highly suggest looking into it..