PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready now

Blissful
04-24-2006, 19:35
:welcome
Well, I got bold and put on my backpack (not the one I'm taking for the AT - still have to get that, but my old one), stuffed it with old sleeping bags and started cruising around the neighborhood. We have some pretty good hills for working out. Had one guy stop literally next to me in his car and simply stare before driving on. But I figure they will all get used to it soon enough. When I can get on a trail, that will be good, but this works for that after dinner, weekday work-out. All I think about is those notorious Georgia Mtns.

RITBlake
04-24-2006, 20:17
All I think about is those notorious Georgia Mtns.

Georgia is one of the easiest sections of the AT

Skidsteer
04-24-2006, 20:46
Georgia is one of the easiest sections of the AT

Especially for the last 75 miles of a SOBO. ;)

Blissful
04-24-2006, 22:00
Argh, I almost fell for it! :)

RITBlake
04-24-2006, 22:12
Especially for the last 75 miles of a SOBO. ;)

hey!!! ok ok you got me. :) But from our perspective we had heard so many horror stories from NOBO's about how steep and challenging Georgia was, probably because when they had passed through there they were fresh on the trail and they got broken in there. By the time we got there it might as well have been flat because we felt like we were floating about 6 inches off the ground.

RITBlake
04-24-2006, 22:13
But seriously Blissfull that's a great way to train. Not only does it get your legs ready to hike but it gets your shoulder and neck muscles somewhat used to having a pack on. You'll be glad you did it.

Mountain Man
04-24-2006, 22:17
Blissful, they ain't as bad as alot of people make them out to be. IMO. But for the hikers that start bad out of shape they can be pretty ruff. I just got back from climbing up and down the stairs beside the water falls at Amicalola. It's a good work out. I'm trying to do them at least 5 days a week. With my hiking on the weekends it will have me in a lot better shape for 2007.

Skidsteer
04-24-2006, 22:27
hey!!! ok ok you got me. :) But from our perspective we had heard so many horror stories from NOBO's about how steep and challenging Georgia was, probably because when they had passed through there they were fresh on the trail and they got broken in there. By the time we got there it might as well have been flat because we felt like we were floating about 6 inches off the ground.

I think you've nailed it. It really is mostly perspective.

FWIW, My hiking on the A.T. has been been almost exclusively in GA(over and over again, ad nauseum) and some in NC. Georgia has never struck me as particularly difficult.

There are other trails in GA that are much more challenging the the GA AT.:sun