PDA

View Full Version : Housing Development destroying woodlands!!

Green Bean
04-24-2006, 21:17
HUGE Development planned for South mountain!!! There will be over 600 houses and will take away about 700 precious acres of mountain land. Development will be on the North and South side of the mountain and will join the AT to the west. I dont have any info on who to send letters of concern to but should be getting that in the next couple of days. So as soon as I get the information I will post or if anyone else on WB has any info. on this topic please help. Even though I am seeing this happen all over, the only way to stop development is before it starts. ~GB

emerald
04-24-2006, 21:31
Before I would want to engage in a letter writing campaign, I'd need far more information than you have provided. As long as the population of the USA keeps growing, there will be a demand for housing. Not all developments are bad. It depends on the details and maybe it really is none of our business. How will the proposed development affect the A.T.? I think you need to do some more research.

RedneckRye
04-24-2006, 21:55
Do you know the difference between a developer and a conservationist??

A developer wants to build a house in the woods, a conservationist already has one.

Green Bean
04-24-2006, 22:28
In the post I said I would be providing more information as soon as I get it.
The reason I posted this up was to see if anyone else had any information on the project. It may not matter at all who knows? I don't. All I know is if this goes into action good bye 700 acres of forest and 700 Acres of homes for the wildlife. ~GB

weary
04-24-2006, 22:34
Do you know the difference between a developer and a conservationist??

A developer wants to build a house in the woods, a conservationist already has one.
That's an old one, but a cold one. It's also a lie. But it makes the ignorant chuckle, so I guess we'll hear it again.

emerald
04-24-2006, 22:36
Most people who buy homes on wooded lots like trees. Retaining the trees makes the lots more attractive to potential home owners.

Freighttrain
04-25-2006, 06:57
ive never met a single person willing to knock down their house so the animals can have their home back

MOWGLI
04-25-2006, 07:09
The next developer I meet that wants to build "a house" in the woods will be the first.

I suggest that everyone concerned about this type of issue support the ATC and your local land trust (http://www.ltanet.org/findlandtrust/). It's far more effective than complaining.

Tha Wookie
04-25-2006, 07:42
The next developer I meet that wants to build "a house" in the woods will be the first.

I suggest that everyone concerned about this type of issue support the ATC and your local land trust (http://www.ltanet.org/findlandtrust/). It's far more effective than complaining.

My momma always told me, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

MOWGLI
04-25-2006, 09:00

Maybe I should have said, "It's far more effective than justcomplaining." ;)

Pacific Tortuga
04-25-2006, 11:59

But sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced or fails to get re-elected.

Sly
04-25-2006, 12:43
South Mountain? The one in Maryland?

Green Bean
04-25-2006, 22:03
South Mt. in PEnnsylvania by the White Rocks Ridge. The AT ran this ridge at one time now it goes around. Where the trail is now is where they are planning the housing developments. ~GB

Rocks 'n Roots
06-26-2006, 00:21
The developer said "I wish to work with those concerned about the AT" (or something similar).

Which is sort of like offering sensitivity counseling to those you are rounding up for concentration camps.

America doesn't know which way is up any more.

They are coming for the Trail now and pretending they are sensitive caring guys.