PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on new sleeping bag

eddiep61
04-24-2006, 21:59
I am planning on buying a lunar solo e. I need some advice on sleeping bags. I plan on getting a down bag for the summer, probably around 40 degrees or so. I have a couple in mind, marmot atom and wm highlight. I have a couple of concerns, I was wondering about the fit, I am 6' and have a shoulder girth of about 50". Also I don't think condensation is that much of a problem but I was wondering if I should go with a bag that has some weather resistance or not even worry about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I spend so much money.

Blissful
04-24-2006, 22:11
Boy, there have been A LOT of threads and replies about sleeping bags in the various forums. Might want to check them out for advice.

Seeker
04-25-2006, 00:06
I am planning on buying a lunar solo e. I need some advice on sleeping bags. I plan on getting a down bag for the summer, probably around 40 degrees or so. I have a couple in mind, marmot atom and wm highlight. I have a couple of concerns, I was wondering about the fit, I am 6' and have a shoulder girth of about 50". Also I don't think condensation is that much of a problem but I was wondering if I should go with a bag that has some weather resistance or not even worry about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I spend so much money.

one of my concerns with WM's 'lite' series was about durability. i dug around a bit more on their website and discovered the Caribou... slightly heavier than the highlite (21 oz vs 16oz, iirc), but made with a slightly heavier fabric, full zip, and 35* rated... very water resistant. it's box-sewn. you can pour a cup of water on it (not on a seam; on just the fabric itself) and it will just sit there literally for hours... i've done it. so no worries about it getting wet for me... i'm 5-10, 180 lbs, and have plenty of room. at 6', you should be fine, and at those temps, you probably won't be using the hood anyway, though you could still fit.

John S
04-25-2006, 10:38
Ditto on the WM Caribou comments, though its extra roominess vs. the Highlite was why I chose it. Regarding length, however, I’m 5’11, have the 6" bag and wish I had gotten the 6"6" model. It’s true that you won’t use the hood very often but when it’s needed you’ll appreciate the extra length. All I have to do is stretch a bit and I can feel the hood snugging around my head.

Sir-P-Alot
04-25-2006, 12:38
Get a fleece blanket for summer. In winter, cut a 20 degree bag in half, insert a draw string and wear with a puffball jacket. You can do anything you want in it and it cuts down on redundant weight.

Sly
04-25-2006, 12:51
With a silnylon shelter it may be a good idea to have water resistant/proof material on a down sleeping bag but it's not absolutely necessary.

Depending on where you're hiking and when, as Sir-P-Alot mentioned, a fleece blanket could also work. I used a $5 one, cut in half, from Waynesboro to Glencliff.

eddiep61
04-25-2006, 13:23
Thanks for the replies. I already have a 0 and 20 degree bag. So this one would primarily be used for summer in the south east. I like the idea of using a blanket, much cheaper and easier way to go especially since I won't be really concerned with cooler temps that much.

Carl
04-25-2006, 14:55
Buckeye 81 here i finished AT in 96 after riding Coast to Coast bycyle Trek 1100 2500mi. Anyho started Springer Mt. End Harpers Ferry 1000mi. 10-1/2 wks April 19 just fore July 4th. wk fore 71 birthday July 15 96. Anyhoo carried Dana Terraplane pk. 7-1/2 lbs & Sierra DesignLiteloft +- 5lbs always had 50=-lbs everything. Im just now downsizing Go to GOLITE Web site check out bags my hiking friend Just bought No3 Tent No. 2 bag & & TREK PACK Im headed that way think 30 lbs total.Allso never forget about HYPOTHERMIA is always a danger pack for worst expect best
Buckeye.

hammock engineer
04-25-2006, 15:42
I recently got the Mont Bell Super Stretch #2 as my primary bag. I use it mainly as a quilt. I do not like the constricting mummy bags. But the baffles stretch and give the feel of more room.

The #7 bag is good from 37 to 50 degrees and weighs about a pound. A little expensive, but I am happy with mine. I am 6'4" and I am glad I went with the long.

stag3
04-25-2006, 15:56
Watch those Montbell temperature ratings. I have a #3-supposed to be good at 32 F. I damn near froze at 29F. My reading on WB seems to indicate that most (maybe all???) manufacturers overstate the temp rating.