PDA

View Full Version : How do you refill?

Bjorkin
04-25-2006, 22:16
I am considering leaving my MSR Sweetwater filter at home and going only with Aqua Mira. However, one big plus of my filter is that it allows me to use the tubing to pump the water from a stream directly into my Platypus while it is still nestled inside my pack.

So, if I leave my filter at home how can I refill my Platypus without removing it from my pack? Maybe I can't. Just looking for the cleanest and quickest way to refill a Platypus without a pump. Preferably without removing it from my pack because that involves detaching the mouthpiece and snaking the tube in and out of the hydration port in my GG Vapor Trail.

Hikerhead
04-25-2006, 22:28
My ULA has a port for the hose also which is a pain to use. Foget about that and just take it out of the top. Mix your chemicals first, spread you bandana over the opening and dip your water out of the creek, poor it in, add chemicals and you're good to go. I use a 12 oz plastic coke bottle for my alcohol and I cut another one in half to fit over it. This is what I use as a dipper. You'll need one. The extra time it takes to take your bladder out beats pumping away anytime.

Footslogger
04-26-2006, 08:53
[quote=Bjorkin]So, if I leave my filter at home how can I refill my Platypus without removing it from my pack?
===========================================
You really can't. That's one of the main reasons I don't use a hydration sleeve that is inside the pack. I use AquaMira also and carry a 1.8 Liter Platy. I lay the Platy crosswise on top of my pack before I fasten the criss-crossed straps and then just drape the hose over my shoulder. Works like a champ and I never have to dig into my pack for refilling.

'Slogger

Nearly Normal
04-26-2006, 09:08
most places you can dip with a ziplock
pete

mingo
04-26-2006, 10:54
why make things so complicated? use a soda bottle. no need to filter or treat most water

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-26-2006, 10:54
I use a 12 oz plastic coke bottle for my alcohol and I cut another one in half to fit over it. This is what I use as a dipper.Useing half of a bottle fit over a bottle you are already carrying is an excellent suggestion. I carry one liter flavored water bottles for water storage so I'll use one of those cut in half to dip.

Rambler
04-26-2006, 11:35
Yes, it is hard to fill the platypus by dunking it. I just use my cooking pot. To avoid snaking the tube and mouth piece in and out of the pack opening, I just remove it from the bottle and leave it in the pack. I have another top. The kind that has a lock top system, ie, pull it out and water flows, push it in to stop the flow. This means it won't spill, if tipped over around camp. Another method is to use a one liter, soft plastic, nalgene container that opens up all along the bottom seam, like a zip-lock bag. It is easy to fill in a stream. Treat the water, drink it all. Roll up the bottle, pack it. You do not have to touch your platypus or drink from it. You have had a big drink of water and still have your supply in your platypus to drink as you hike.

Rambler
04-26-2006, 11:41
Whoops! It is not a Nalgene but a platypus. It weighs 1.5 oz, rolled up, it would be hidden if I put my hand ontop of it, so it fits easily into a pocket.
I do not trust the bottom seal, so I do not carry water in, especially if I were to put it in my pack. It becomes a good place to store the extra cap I mentioned above. Just screw it on and I know where to find it when I need it for the other platypus at night.

mountain squid
04-26-2006, 12:19
I carry 2 things for holding water. My hydration system (which remains nestled in my pack) for "clean" water and another platypus for "dirty" water. After treating water, pour it into hydration system and enjoy.

Another use for a ziploc (thanks Pete!). I'll have to give that a try. Negligible weight savings, but should be quicker/easier than the small plastic bottle that I currently use.

See you on the trail,
mt squid.