PDA

View Full Version : High Sierra Sports Dyno 55+10

adh24
04-26-2006, 07:30
So I recently purchased a High Sierra Sports Dyno 55+10 Pack off sierratradingpost.com. When I took it out on it's first run I noticed that the frame just didn't seam as rigid as my wife's Lafuma pack. After further inspecting it the frame is basically two aluminum "stays?" running vertically inside the pack. Can you buy extras of these to stiffen it up a bit?

peter_pan
04-26-2006, 07:59
Aluminum stays are easy to have a metal shop fabricate...check around your area...take a stay with you...they generally are removable.

I suspect the larger issue will be sewing in a pocket for more stays...

Also you may want to hike a while with stock pack...My kelty assault pack has two stays and works great...there may be a symetry of simple design and support that you are missing by comparing it to your wife's heavier pack.

My 0.02.

Pan

Skidsteer
04-26-2006, 08:04
Also you may want to hike a while with stock pack...Pan

Also the aluminum stays tend to conform to your body contour over time, causing the pack ride a bit better.

adh24
04-26-2006, 08:07
Also you may want to hike a while with stock pack...

Not sure what you mean by stock pack?

As to sewing new pockets I was just going to duct tap two stays together and put them in the same pocket. I think there is enough room for that. It just seams when they are axially loaded they don't have a high stiffness. Instead the want to bow out. Wanted to just try to increase their cross sectional area to prevent the aluminum wanting to buckle about it's week axis.

adh24
04-26-2006, 08:09
Also the aluminum stays tend to conform to your body contour over time, causing the pack ride a bit better.

Oh I see kind of like breaking in a pair of hiking shoes.

Just Jeff
04-26-2006, 10:17
Not sure what you mean by stock pack?

As stocked on the shelf with no modifications. (i.e. try using it before you add the extra stays)