PDA

View Full Version : Good camping, little water - Dear Park shelter

Mountain Dog
04-26-2006, 18:06
I was at the Dear Park shelter last week. It had been raining a lot and the water/creek was full and flowing fast when I arrived. The creek was mostly mud by morning. I surmise therefore, that the water source at the shelter is verry iffy during semi dry weather. I would not bet on getting any water if it had not rained for a while. The shelter is small and about typical of the shelters between Hot Springs and Davenport. This means small and somewhat dirty since there are no brooms. HOWEVER, this shelter has a lot of room for camping. This is a great spot to stay if you do not want to make the long trip from the other shelter south of Deer Park to H.S. in one day. Top off on the way to D.P. and eat breakfast in HS the next morning. The leg from D.P. to H.S. is easy and fast. The restaurant south of the BP stration and near the Dollar General serves very good food in LARGE quantities and at very reasonable prices.

Doctari
04-26-2006, 18:27
I didn't stop at the shelter in 04, but across the AT from the shelter trail is a trail to very nice streem, that looks to have water most of the time (ie: not seasonal as you describe the shelter stream to be.) with "TONS" of great camp & hammock sites.

Doctari.

joec
05-03-2006, 08:52
I took a couple that had never hiked before and we stayed the last nite at DP shelter location. Tent camps next to the AT across from the side trail into the shelter. Good tent sites only about 5' from trail. The lady that was new came in the next morning gushing about the beauty of the sunrise while using the privy. It was good. No door on privy and full view of the valley and adjacent mountains. Best part of her hike.

hans
08-28-2006, 19:25
We stayed here on Aug. 10th. Lots of spiders in the rafters and a couple of friendly mice, but no problems from them. We rode out a nasty storm here with lightning all around, but stayed dry while the area in front of the shelter became a huge puddle.
There are many nice tent/hammock sites behind the shelter.
The spring area was a muddy challenge but had plenty of water, (both before and after the storms).
Beware of the plywood "step" in front of the privy. It was quite slippery after the rain!
It looks like there would be nice views when the leaves are gone :)

jodestick
02-20-2007, 23:56
i stayed at deer park this past weekend. the trail log needs a pen. i didn't have one with me, or i would have left it. if anyone is heading that way, pack a pen and leave it in the shelter. there were no entries in the log for over a month. kind of sad.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2007, 03:27
i stayed at deer park this past weekend. the trail log needs a pen. i didn't have one with me, or i would have left it. if anyone is heading that way, pack a pen and leave it in the shelter. there were no entries in the log for over a month. kind of sad.

yeah. a shelter with a register that has no pen is the saddest thing i can think of. like peanut butter without jelly. how on earth are hikers gonna make it thru this crisis?:)

saimyoji
02-21-2007, 08:37
yeah. a shelter with a register that has no pen is the saddest thing i can think of. like peanut butter without jelly. how on earth are hikers gonna make it thru this crisis?:)

Got a knife? Make a pencil. Or, write in blood. :eek: