PDA

View Full Version : steri-pen

snowhoe
04-26-2006, 23:17
Has anyone used this before? I saw Icrus and Varatos using it and I didnt really understand how it works. I sure is faster than a filter.

stickman
04-27-2006, 15:58
I've never used it, but I know from my job that ultraviolet light does sterilize many microbes and can be used to treat water. Lots of municipal wastewater plants and more and more muni drinking water plants are using it.

Having said that, I personally wouldn't use it hiking. The dose has to reach a certain intensity at just the right wavelengths to be effective. All kinds of stuff can interfer with that, including extremely small particles in the water (stuff you won't see), the age of the bulb, film or coating that builds up on the lens, etc. At municipal plants they do constant maintenance on the units and install monitors that sound an alarm and automatically switch to alternate UV units if the intensity of the light falls below the required levels. You'll never be able to tell by looking.

I find it much easire to use Aguamira and wait the 15-20 minutes to chemically disinfect.

Stickman

txulrich
04-27-2006, 16:28
Here are some reviews at BackPacker Gear Test.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Ultraviolet/

JojoSmiley
04-27-2006, 18:00
Used it for 1000 miles on the North Country Trail and just got an updated version. Love it, easy and fast as well as lightweight.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 20:09
Has anyone used this before? I saw Icrus and Varatos using it and I didnt really understand how it works. I sure is faster than a filter.
No, but I'd read the following links before falling for this gimmick. The UV "killing power" can only travel 0.3cm-1cm in clear tap water! In turbid natural water, its useless. Municipal water treatments keep the water flowing over a unit constantly at a max water depth of .3cm. In the link someone had, it showed a company photo of it sitting in a glass. This will not work.
http://www.lbl.gov/Education/ELSI/Frames/Sustain21-f.html

http://air-n-water.stores.yahoo.net/pua13ulwapu.html
Notice in this picture that the inlet is 1/2" ID. The water is never further than 1/4" ( about .70 cm ) away from the UV source, not sitting in a glass of water.

I would use this product, even if the owner was a nice guy. ( Just kidding Rock ).

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 20:11
Should say: I wouldn't use this product, even if the owner was a nice guy. ( Just kidding Rock ).[/quote]

Wonder
06-04-2006, 20:43
I LOVE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only draw back is that it can burn thru batteries, but if you use lithium...they hold out!

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 20:56
I LOVE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only draw back is that it can burn thru batteries, but if you use lithium...they hold out!

But does it work or just make a pretty glow? Seriously man, read the links I just posted. The thing doesn't work. It doesnt conform to the standards the industry has put in place for UV water purification.

UL will begin testing and approving all water purifiers and water filters and put a new symbol on units that pass, just like the current UL or NSF symbol. Unfortunately, it wont be til 2010. I wonder if this thing will get one?:-?
Bet ya a six pack of Coors Light that it wont. We gotta wait til 2010, but I got a long memory if you wanna take me up on it.:) Loser has to hike it up Kat where we'll sit back and enjoy em.:D

Skidsteer
06-04-2006, 21:37
Seriously man, read the links I just posted.

No biggie but having met Wonderfoot at Trail Days I can attest and certify that, by all outward appearances, she is definitely a woman. :D

Wonder
06-04-2006, 21:49
All I know is that I have a pretty weak tummy....and I haven't gotten sick yet. It hasen't passed the Virginia test yet though........

Wonder
06-04-2006, 21:53
Love ya Skids!

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 22:05
No biggie but having met Wonderfoot at Trail Days I can attest and certify that, by all outward appearances, she is definitely a woman. :D

Sorry, WF:o . As I was typing that, it occured to me how hard it is to tell gender via trail names. I had a 50/50 chance and lost. I'll buy the first round if we meet!:D And thank you for your PM. You kinda cheered me up, today. Thanks, again. I needed that.
Chuck ( male ).

Roland
06-06-2006, 17:06
~~~ Seriously man, read the links I just posted. The thing doesn't work. It doesnt conform to the standards the industry has put in place for UV water purification.

The original question was about Steripen (http://www.hydro-photon.com/index.html). There is no mention of Steripen in either of your links.

Steripen has undergone extensive microbiological testing at the University of Arizona, the University of Maine, the Oregon Health Sciences University and at Hydro-Photon. It was found to destroy in excess of 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of viruses and 99.9% protozoa. For the full text of the independent lab studies, click here. (http://www.hydro-photon.com/testing.html)

Another hiker with an extensive career in microbiology and water purification recently posted comments about the Steripen on Views From The Top. (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com) You can read his post here. (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12421)

Amigi'sLastStand
06-06-2006, 21:08
The original question was about Steripen (http://www.hydro-photon.com/index.html). There is no mention of Steripen in either of your links.

Steripen has undergone extensive microbiological testing at the University of Arizona, the University of Maine, the Oregon Health Sciences University and at Hydro-Photon. It was found to destroy in excess of 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of viruses and 99.9% protozoa. For the full text of the independent lab studies, click here. (http://www.hydro-photon.com/testing.html)

Another hiker with an extensive career in microbiology and water purification recently posted comments about the Steripen on Views From The Top. (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com) You can read his post here. (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12421)

You are correct. It was about what was needed for UV filtration to work.

From the article you linked to:
The new filter they developed will filter to 4 microns, so basically it takes out the larger particles that could provide shade for the organisms.
Um, giardia is around 8-10 microns. How does an 8 micron organism find shade behind a 4 micron particle? And if you need to filter first, why bother with the pen?

It was found to destroy in excess of 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of viruses and 99.9% protozoa
Nowhere in any of the articles was this statement found in reference to the effectiveness of the Steri-Pen. This is the USFDA's and NSF/ANSI standard, not the test results. In fact, the author, Anne Hanson, goes on to say how effective it is, even after she posts results that FAILED TO MEET the FDA standard!?! I wont bore the readers with all the data, they can read it for themselves.

As you can also read, the effectiveness on this unit in turbid water was never done. She extracts stream water, then proceeds to filter it. Then she doubles up the dosage. Then she proclaims it effectiveness!?!

Caveat emptor. I'll stick to my filter. I'd rather pump for a couple minutes then stir for two and say a prayer. But that's just me.:)

Roland
06-06-2006, 23:31
~~~
From the article you linked to:
The new filter they developed will filter to 4 microns, so basically it takes out the larger particles that could provide shade for the organisms.
Um, giardia is around 8-10 microns. How does an 8 micron organism find shade behind a 4 micron particle? And if you need to filter first, why bother with the pen?

It was found to destroy in excess of 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of viruses and 99.9% protozoa
Nowhere in any of the articles was this statement found in reference to the effectiveness of the Steri-Pen. This is the USFDA's and NSF/ANSI standard, not the test results. In fact, the author, Anne Hanson, goes on to say how effective it is, even after she posts results that FAILED TO MEET the FDA standard!?! I wont bore the readers with all the data, they can read it for themselves.

As you can also read, the effectiveness on this unit in turbid water was never done. She extracts stream water, then proceeds to filter it. Then she doubles up the dosage. Then she proclaims it effectiveness!?!

Caveat emptor. I'll stick to my filter. I'd rather pump for a couple minutes then stir for two and say a prayer. But that's just me.:)
Earlier in this thread you stated, rather authoritatively, that Steripen was a totally ineffective gimmick. You provided two links to back-up your claim. However, there is not a single mention of Steripen on either of the sites you linked to.

In return I provided a link to independent lab studies conducted by the University of Arizona, the University of Maine, and the Oregon Health Sciences University, on the efficacy of Steripen. Again, you state, rather authoritatively, that the independent studies fail to substantiate Steripen's claim, when clearly they do.

If interested, others can read the studies and make their own decisions. My reason for posting was to provide information, not to engage in an argument with you. Frankly, I don't care if you use a Steripen or not.

Erro
06-07-2006, 01:15
No, but I'd read the following links before falling for this gimmick. The UV "killing power" can only travel 0.3cm-1cm in clear tap water! In turbid natural water, its useless. Municipal water treatments keep the water flowing over a unit constantly at a max water depth of .3cm. In the link someone had, it showed a company photo of it sitting in a glass. This will not work.
http://www.lbl.gov/Education/ELSI/Frames/Sustain21-f.html

Hmmm... Something seems off here. The study linked above talks about the "extinction coefficient." This number is not simply the effective distance that the UV works to kill bugs in water. It is the rate at which the UV dissipates as it travels through the water.

From the link:
"The extinction coefficient of pure distilled water for UV is 0.007 cm~l. The extinction coefficient of tap water is 0.1 cm~l. In our design, we assume the inlet water to have the extinction coefficient of 0.3 cm~l, as large as that of the average water discharged from US waste-water treatment plants."

It would seem that the UV light is effective through much greater distances than just 1cm. After all - would the effective distance not vary greatly on light intensity, and, in the case of municipal water treatment plants, the flow rate of the water (i.e. exposure time)?

Maybe a UV treatment unit that zaps the bugs as water flows by at a high rate of speed needs to have the water pass very close to the light source - but the SteriPen uses a 90 second exposure time. It also upsteps the battery voltage to 2000 volts. It puts out a good deal of UV light. Studies show that this light intensity and exposure time is enough to be very effective.

Also, check out AquaStar. Same concept. Lighter unit. Better battery life. Lower price. http://uvaquastar.com/index.php

MedicineMan
06-07-2006, 02:14
and so happens to speak loudly for the unit in question....its not for me, an anti-battery sentiment but if she says it works i dont doubt.

dloome
07-02-2006, 22:20
Steripen sucks. Used it for awhile until it broke. Even with lithium batteries it eats them up and the thing is fragile as hell and weighs a lot more than chemicals. Stick with Aqua Mira.

MAD777
07-05-2007, 21:01
I love my Steripen. I have the new model "Adventurer". Both smaller and lighter than the previous version.
I do filter the water through a gravity filter prior to UV treatment so the turbidity is not an issue.
I know it's a lot but, I'm drinking this water (and I drink lots of it on the trail) so I don't want to take any chances with me or my family.
I enjoy the water more if I don't have to worry about what's in it or chew it! But, I know many that aren't as particular as I and that is fine, too. After all, I drink "cowboy coffee."

Jim Adams
07-05-2007, 23:41
I've used a steripen for almost 2 years and it has worked fine. It seems that there is a misconception here though as to how it works. It does not kill anything. It simply makes the organisims sterile so that they can not multiply in the digestive tract to cause illness.
I have thru hiked the AT twice with iodine and had no problems. I attempted a PCT thru this year and ran out of funds and had to quit but I used aquamira and was very satisfied with it however, it is not sold in California because it has not been approved for safe sales in that state.
I once carried a filter for a week...that will never happen again!
geek

Appalachian Tater
07-06-2007, 00:44
It seems that there is a misconception here though as to how it works. It does not kill anything. It simply makes the organisims sterile so that they can not multiply in the digestive tract to cause illness.

Without arguing about whether the Steripen is effective or needed, or what exactly viruses are, and whether or not they can be "killed", what you are saying is incorrect. Ultraviolet light reduces the actual number of bacteria and viruses.

http://www.steripen.com/testing.html

refreeman
07-06-2007, 09:21
Appalachian Tater
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I knnow it sounds wierd, I thought the same thing, but if you call the steripen people they say the same thing. I like the IDEA of the steripen but in the real world there are much better choices.

One big weakness of steripen is that it desn't remove any manmade or narural chemical contamination.

Appalachian Tater
07-06-2007, 10:10
I'm only pointing out what the studies they have on their website say.

Summit
11-27-2007, 19:23
Proof is in the pudding . . . I've been using one for several hikes now and love it. They specifically claim on their website "SteriPEN’s ultraviolet light is proven to destroy in excess of 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of viruses and 99.9% protozoa." Read the disclaimers about traditional filters. None claim to eliminate everything. I have not had the slightest hint of any gastronomical problems since starting to use the Steripen. I did occasionally with filters. So I'll stick with my Steripen and avoid the fatigue and uncertainty of filtration systems.

addict
01-21-2009, 13:01
We used the steripen on our thru in 08. Never got sick. Use lithium batteries (lighter) and they last a few weeks. A lot of thru hikers were curious about our contraption but were jealous when we had water in 60 seconds rather than pumping water or using chemicals. Everyone does their own thing. The steripen is one of my favorite pieces of backpacking equipment.

gold bond
01-21-2009, 14:46
I carry a Steri-Pen and Aquamara drops. Sounds redundant but heres my reasoning. Alot of places you can get water right out of a pipe or off a rock or a good running stream...thats where I use the steri-Pen. If I have any doubt ie; clearity, or whatever I can still use my Steri-pen and add a drop or two of the Aquamira. Carrying the two raises my confidence on my water treatment and is still half the weight of a filter!

Just my two cents worth!

Mags
01-21-2009, 15:20
It glows! It is shiny! It runs on batteries! It is scientific!

People love this cannonball. :D

My personal prediction is that Steripen (and related items) will replace filters as the go-to choice for most outdoors people. The price is going down. Being primates, we gravitate towards shiny things, too...

Camping Dave
01-26-2009, 18:02
Would you drink this stuff after hitting it with a steripen? I would.

theinfamousj
01-26-2009, 23:58

Chocolate milk? I'd drink chocolate milk even without the steripen. :D

Sorry, but I had to inject a bit of humor there. ;)

4eyedbuzzard
01-27-2009, 00:54

Mmmmmm...mudslide

Camping Dave
01-27-2009, 12:58
Chocolate milk? I'd drink chocolate milk even without the steripen. :D

Apple cider actually. Mmmmm. :sun

catfishrivers
01-27-2009, 16:06
I'm bringing a steripen and a sediment filter that fits atop my water bottles. Leaving the solar charger case behind tho I think, because it is kinda bulky, weighty, and probably needs more direct sunlight time than I will be able to give it...

Has anyone used the solar charging case with good results while hiking? If so, please describe the conditions. Thanks!

Smile
01-27-2009, 16:37
I just don't trust the Steri-pen, and the likelihood of me breaking something like that on trail - high! I've seen it used, but I don't like floaties in my water noway nohow. :)

catfishrivers
01-27-2009, 16:49
Floaties put hair on your chest...

That's why I have the floatie filter for the bottle top to my water bottle. I zap it, and then filter it.

Also, I will be carrying a chemical backup (aquamira) in case it dose break. I prefer deactivated dna in the floaties I can't see. It makes the water taste better :P

And I've already started to think of it as my lil' lightsaber. I don't think I could leave it behind now.

Smile
01-27-2009, 17:24
Floaties put hair on your chest...

Why yes, yes they do. :)

NitroSteel
10-16-2009, 22:42
All I can think about it is how much toilet paper you could go through in a week if it DOESN'T work... Wouldn't it be easier to just tote antibiotics?

Jofish
10-17-2009, 00:05
Without arguing about whether the Steripen is effective or needed, or what exactly viruses are, and whether or not they can be "killed", what you are saying is incorrect. Ultraviolet light reduces the actual number of bacteria and viruses.

http://www.steripen.com/testing.html

Yup. As a graduate student in virology, I can tell you that ultraviolet radiation (ie UV light) will DEFINITELY kill bacteria and parasites. Technically, it doesn't kill viruses it only inactivates them since they aren't considered alive in the first place (which I would argue against, but I won't go into that). I'm not saying anything here specifically about the Steripen, since I haven't done the research looking at the amount of UV output. I'm only talking about the ability of UV light to kill cells and inactivate viruses.

Science alert: stop reading here if you don't want the hardcore science!

How UV light kills and inactivates:
UV radiation crosslinks adjacent thymidine nucleotides (in DNA) or adjacent uracil nucleotides (in RNA). With lower amounts of DNA damage, cells (this includes bacteria and parasites) will die when they try to replicate and with higher amounts of damage they will die due to apoptosis (programmed cell death).

As for virues, the UV radiation causes the crosslinking of their DNA or RNA genomes. This doesn't prevent the viruses from entering your cells, but they are completely inactive; viral genes cannot be expressed and their genomes cannot be replicated. Treatment with UV radiation is the standard way to inactivate virses.

Sorry, my inner dork was screaming to get out!

txag
10-17-2009, 10:40
Thanks for the scientific explanation. Beats the MSR Hyper-clog filter being tested in my inventory.

Lyle
10-17-2009, 11:06
I'm only pointing out what the studies they have on their website say.

I admit I didn't read the studies referenced in the article you linked to, but I did note that the article said the bacteria and virus were "destroyed" not killed. Destroying the DNA of the virus or bacteria, making them unable to reproduce would in effect "destroy" the bacteria. Everything I've read, including the evaluation by Dr. Paul Auerbach in "Wilderness Medicine, fifth edition" supports what Jim Adams has said. The bacteria and viruses are not killed by the Steripen, but rendered harmless by modifying their DNA.

Personally, I use AquaMira.

Cookerhiker
10-17-2009, 11:39
I used my steripen for the first time last week on my hike of the Black Forest Trail. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=907200#post907200) Worked great and (so far), I haven't experienced any problems.

sheepdog
10-17-2009, 12:57
I admit I didn't read the studies referenced in the article you linked to, but I did note that the article said the bacteria and virus were "destroyed" not killed. Destroying the DNA of the virus or bacteria, making them unable to reproduce would in effect "destroy" the bacteria. Everything I've read, including the evaluation by Dr. Paul Auerbach in "Wilderness Medicine, fifth edition" supports what Jim Adams has said. The bacteria and viruses are not killed by the Steripen, but rendered harmless by modifying their DNA.

Personally, I use AquaMira.
used to sell steripens and talked to the sales reps. They say the same thing geek does. kills the dna not the virus.

Jofish
10-17-2009, 17:24
I'll just reiterate my point (look to my previous post). Assuming that the steripen works the way they claim it does (UV light) then it does 2 things:

It KILLS bacteria and parasites. Completely kills. As in absolutely dead.

It INACTIVATES viruses. Thats the best you can do. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS KILLING A VIRUS. Since viruses aren't alive you can NOT kill them. Inactivation is the best that you can do. By inactivating them you render them COMPLETELY harmless. Inactivated viruses can't replicate and they therefore can't cause disease.

Just want to make that completely clear.

KarenM982
10-18-2009, 01:30
I used a Steripen on my thru-hike and loved it. I would treat at least 4 liters of water each day and my batteries would last about 20 days. I never got sick, even filling up from the sketchiest sources with floaties. I carried iodine with me just in case the batteries died and I didn't have spares...this happened twice. It only takes 48 seconds to treat a liter, compared to 15 mins for Aqua Mira, 30 mins for iodine, and a good chunk of time for filters. No chemical taste, and you don't need to dry the threads of the waterbottle since the UV light goes through the plastic...you only need to dry the cap threads.

Connie
10-20-2009, 18:38
Lucky?

I understand Steripen doesn't work, unless the water is clear, not cloudy, not floating stuff, but clear.

Did I miss that? I failed to read that here in the thread?

edit: oh good, post #5.

Maybe cowflop didn't hurt you? I once heard at a meeting at Point Reyes National Seashore, cow effluent in water does not hurt humans.

sheepdog
10-20-2009, 19:18
Lucky?

I understand Steripen doesn't work, unless the water is clear, not cloudy, not floating stuff, but clear.

Did I miss that? I failed to read that here in the thread?

edit: oh good, post #5.

Maybe cowflop didn't hurt you? I once heard at a meeting at Point Reyes National Seashore, cow effluent in water does not hurt humans.
a few floaties has no effect on steripen

Wise Old Owl
10-20-2009, 19:25
Thanks folks, for a owl that fly's at night - I see the light!

ChinMusic
10-20-2009, 20:14
I used a Steripen on my thru-hike and loved it. I would treat at least 4 liters of water each day and my batteries would last about 20 days. I never got sick, even filling up from the sketchiest sources with floaties. I carried iodine with me just in case the batteries died and I didn't have spares...this happened twice. It only takes 48 seconds to treat a liter, compared to 15 mins for Aqua Mira, 30 mins for iodine, and a good chunk of time for filters. No chemical taste, and you don't need to dry the threads of the waterbottle since the UV light goes through the plastic...you only need to dry the cap threads.
I was with ya til you got to the line I put in bold. It is my understanding that UVC does NOT go through plastic or even the surface of the water.

If it went through plastic, well, that would be a BAD thing.....eyes.

FamilyGuy
10-29-2009, 01:08
Steripen issue?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=25445&skip_to_post=208592#208592