PDA

View Full Version : Food Expense; Bulk or No Bulk?

funnysquared
04-26-2006, 23:30
Hey all,

I'm gonna be spending two months on the trail this summer. Im real excited, and have never done anything like this. My friend and I will be traveling together and sharing the weight of food, cooking equipment, etc. I was wondering if you could share with me some insight into freeze dried food. Are MRE's worth it? Is dehydrating my own food better? If so, how the heck do you do it? Lastly, we are planning on bringing between 3-5 days of food on our backs and mail-dropping the rest of the way. How much did yall mail drop?

Whew, I know thats a lot of questions, but your forums are very helpful

Thanks Everyone

Guy without his trailname

Peaks
04-27-2006, 07:58
Generally speaking, it's usually best to resupply in small towns along the way. There are several threads about resupply.

MOWGLI
04-27-2006, 08:58
:welcome Funnysquared. Heed Peaks' advice. First of all, you'll probably tire of the same old - same old very quickly. Check the resupply article on the home page. And have a great hike.

fiddlehead
04-27-2006, 21:39
MRE's are way too heavy.
Freeze Dried Food is expensive
Dehydrating is easy if you have a dehyrator, just follow instructions
Until you are sure of what you want to eat out there, I would recommend eating noodles (lipton) and tuna (or chicken) and ramen and pot tarts and stuff you can buy in most any grocery store. After a while you will see people eating other stuff and get some ideas. then you can start dehyrating, buying bulk, Preparing more at home.
You don't want to buy 20 kgs of something that you can't stand the taste of after 2 weeks!