PDA

View Full Version : Ed Garvey Shelter

Former Admin
09-10-2002, 05:34
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Ed Garvey Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

stranger
12-12-2002, 00:08
Have fun getting water...great shelter. Kick ass privy! Have fun getting water...

Papa Bear
06-01-2003, 13:10
It was rainy and foggy, but here's (http://gallery.backcountry.net/papabear_2003_HF_Duncannon/aap) shot of Ed Garvey.

Pb

knightjh
02-26-2004, 16:30
I spent my 40th Birthday on the Ed Garvey Shelter very nice awesome views and I did not have to share with anyone (mainly because I was camping on chilly Sunday night (in Feb)
Once again great shelter and the overseer does a great job as well :clap

cryptobrian
03-21-2004, 11:10
This is definately one of the nicer shelters along the MD section. Very well maintained shelter with great views and a nice privy.

Here are a few more pictures:

Inside of shelter (http://www.stinkypigs.com/BackPacking/AppalachianTrail/MarylandSection/AT-MD/pages/Dcp_2283.htm)
The Shelter (http://www.stinkypigs.com/BackPacking/AppalachianTrail/MarylandSection/AT-MD/pages/Dcp_2285.htm)

Footslogger
03-21-2004, 11:34
Absolutely one of the nicest shelters on the entire AT. But, depending on where you stayed the night before, it may not be convenient (mileage-wise) for an evening spot unless you want to do a very short day. I ended up doing lunch there last year and then taking a 2 - 3 hour siesta on one of the benches outside the shelter.

Crash
03-29-2004, 00:15
can we get this into the Maryland shelters forum since its the last shelter SOBO in Maryland?

attroll
03-29-2004, 02:06
can we get this into the Maryland shelters forum since its the last shelter SOBO in Maryland?
Move to the Maryland Shelters.

barefoothiker
04-18-2004, 14:00
I have to say that this has to be one of the nicest shelters in the MD section. Great view and the upstairs level was an outstanding place to sleep in during a cold, windy night. My group started in Harper's Ferry so the location was great, especially after all those switchbacks going up to Weverton Cliff. Definitely has an A+ rating in my book!

cascader
06-06-2005, 20:37
Great shelter. The spring *is* a ways down (and down) from the shelter, but when you get there it's worth it--nice, tasty, clean piped spring (didn't treat the water, no adverse results).

Had this big shelter to myself on a thursday night in mid-May--heard, tho, that it filled up w/ 25 hikers the next night.

leonard
08-04-2005, 07:19
We are planning to hike to the shelter in late september? Any guess as to whether there likely will be lots of scouts, etc? (we are staying saturday night).

Also, we will pitch a tent rather than stay in the shelter. Are there areas near the shelter that are "open" for us to pitch a tent?

thanks.

texashiker
08-10-2005, 07:01
I stayed there a couple of weeks ago and there were some scouts staying that night also. To get to the spring is the hardest part of your hike. There are three main tent camping sites. As you are looking at the shelter with the trail at your back if you go to the left there is a big area down that trail on the left. (That is where the scouts stayed.) There is another campsite down that trail. There is also a campsite if you take a right and go by the privy.

We are planning to hike to the shelter in late september? Any guess as to whether there likely will be lots of scouts, etc? (we are staying saturday night).

Also, we will pitch a tent rather than stay in the shelter. Are there areas near the shelter that are "open" for us to pitch a tent?

thanks.

Programbo
10-18-2006, 18:03
Here are a few more pictures:
Inside of shelter (http://www.stinkypigs.com/BackPacking/AppalachianTrail/MarylandSection/AT-MD/pages/Dcp_2283.htm) The Shelter (http://www.stinkypigs.com/BackPacking/AppalachianTrail/MarylandSection/AT-MD/pages/Dcp_2285.htm)

I got to this thread today following a link in a newer post and looked at the photos...Nice to see the external frame packs hanging on the wall..I`m so proud of somebody for not buying into the internal frame fad :p

fonsie
03-27-2007, 11:35
There are 4 sites to set up a tent. If they are being used then theres plenty of flat spots. I have stayed at that shelter many times and theres 2 secret springs. They don't run all the time but better than 1/2 mile strait down the mountain. Love the veiws till the trees bloom.

veteran
04-06-2007, 10:09
There are 4 sites to set up a tent. If they are being used then theres plenty of flat spots. I have stayed at that shelter many times and theres 2 secret springs. They don't run all the time but better than 1/2 mile strait down the mountain. Love the veiws till the trees bloom.

Why are they secret, can you describe the location?

Ed Garvey Spring (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_2003_HF_Duncannon/aao.sized.jpg)Waaaay down the hill.

emerald
04-06-2007, 15:25
When I first heard of this shelter, I figured it's access trail should be indicated with an offset, double-whiteblaze with the access trail whiteblazed too. :-? What do you think of that idea, Programbo?

RockStar
04-06-2007, 18:05
GREAT shelter! I will bring plenty of water with me in the future! ;)

Topcat
04-06-2007, 19:59
i like this shelter, but hate the walk down to water. there is a great campsite on the north side of the shelter not too far up the trail which i think is a better place to tent. then come back down to share the table and camraderie of the shelter. The loft is rockin'

freefall
04-06-2007, 20:27
The spring is indeed way down there! Stayed there (in my hammock) with only two section hikers in June last year ( a Sunday night, June 4th). Plenty of trees well spaced for hammocking as well!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/1/3/5/edgarveyshelter.jpg

shelterbuilder
04-06-2007, 22:46
I got to this thread today following a link in a newer post and looked at the photos...Nice to see the external frame packs hanging on the wall..I`m so proud of somebody for not buying into the internal frame fad :p

Ooh - NICE log work! I gotta get out more!

Programbo
04-07-2007, 00:12
When I first heard of this shelter, I figured it's access trail should be indicated with an offset, double-whiteblaze with the access trail whiteblazed too. :-? What do you think of that idea, Programbo?

Ummm..You mean as some sort of tribute to Mister Garvey?...When I first heard of this shelter I though, Why didn`t they build one down on the Potomac River?...I mean with this shelter there`s now 4 shelters within an 17-18 mile stretch and then a gap of 15 miles to the next one :confused:

emerald
04-07-2007, 00:28
You've indicated you like A.T. history and that part of experiencing the A.T. involves getting off of it even at times to see the trail towns. Learning about the people who built it and hiked it are important too.

This segment would be part of an A.T. hike where the friendly white markers lead to a place built in memory of one of its greatest hikers. Seems like a shelter built in memory of Ed shouldn't have a blue-blazed access trail, the A.T. would bend as it passed or at least nod.

Programbo
04-07-2007, 09:33
You've indicated you like A.T. history and that part of experiencing it involves getting off of it even at times to see the trail towns. Learning about the people who built it and hiked it are important too....This segment would be part of an A.T. hike where the friendly white markers lead to a place built in memory of one of its greatest hikers. Seems like a shelter built in memory of Ed shouldn't have a blue-blazed access trail, the A.T. would bend as it passed or at least nod.

That`s about what I figured you meant but just wanted to be sure before responding....Yes I think part of the charm of the AT is the lore and tradition...When I go out on day hikes and meet people I always point out places the trail used to run or turn or where old shelters were...One of the things I always loved about the trail and which always drew me back was that it remained the same while the world raced on...Aside from the parts which were re-routed when I returned to the AT after 25 years and took the first short walk from the parking area up to the shelter it all looked exactly as it did back then..I knew every turn..every hill..the shelter was the same...But I ramble on....
Yes a tribute to Mister Garvey would be nice...Maybe a small marker at the side trail at the least...I would have probably renamed an older shelter where he had actually stayed in his honor or renamed a section of the old AT which he walked and has been re-routed and is now a blue-blazed side trail the "Ed Garvey Trail" or something..But that`s just me

emerald
04-07-2007, 11:53
I would have probably renamed an older shelter where he had actually stayed in his honor or renamed a section of the old AT which he walked and has been re-routed and is now a blue-blazed side trail the "Ed Garvey Trail" or something..But that`s just me

OMG!:eek: You're not advocating building a blue-blazed Ed Garvey Trail and suggesting that the purist of A.T. hikers would hike it, are you?:rolleyes: Well, I suppose we do have a Benton MacKaye Trail.;)

Undershaft
06-25-2007, 16:43
Nice shelter with active mice. Water source is good, but located a half mile downhill. I liked the fresnel lens windows in the privy.

GMURockOn!
10-23-2007, 11:44
whats the easiest way to get to the ed garvey shelter? is there a parking lot near there, or are you going to have someone hike in from either the gathland or harper's ferry side?

Lone Wolf
10-23-2007, 11:46
Weverton Rd. 3 miles north

dessertrat
11-26-2007, 10:21
I stayed here in the upstairs loft on Friday night. I don't usually stay in shelters, but I saw no rodent droppings, and it was cold enough so I didn't think any mice would be around anyway. Insofar as shelters go, it is very nice; the upstairs is good if you have "bearanoia", as it seems like it would be difficult for a bear to get up into!

The water source, as noted, is a long ways down a hill-- I passed on going down there, and just nursed a liter until I got to Harpers Ferry.

Newb
11-27-2007, 14:05
I got stung twice in 1 minute there this past summer by yellow jackets. Horrid, aggressive yellow jackets with nasty dispositions.

tazie
11-27-2007, 15:50
I trail run that section of the AT often. The shelter is very nice, but I really like the privy. On a day-hike this summer a friend and I attempted to find the spring but the path was blocked with downed? trees. A few weeks ago when I was out trail running toward Weverton Cliffs a couple asked me "where the tree was with all the etchings, markings on it?" I had no idea what they were talking about. This is the section of the AT between Gathland Park and Weverton. Anyone know?

dessertrat
11-27-2007, 15:56
Oh yeah, the privy with stained glass windows! I don't know what etchings on a tree people might be talking about, though.

Newb
11-28-2007, 09:30
The carved tree is at the old brownsville? gap. Basically, it's an abandoned road crossing between Garvey shelter and the park with the correspondents monument. I know what she was talking about...there's initials on it going back 50 years. Its' pretty cool.

As an aside, that abandoned road crossing was also used to move some troops in the Civil war. When you're standing there you have to know that during the war Confederate soldiers climbed to that same ridge and deployed in line to stop the Yankees from flanking the guys north of them.

Tinker
11-28-2007, 09:40
I think that Mr. Garvey would be thrilled to have such a nice shelter named after him. I read all of his books on the AT and one on the Laurel Ridge Trail in Pennsylvania (a trail guide). He loved the Trail and was an avid shelter user and proponent of shelter building and maintenance. I plan on spending a night there, whether I ever do a thru or not in honor to his memory. He worked very hard to help procure land for the Trail for those after him (us) to use. I wish that I had been able to meet him personally before his passing.

fonsie
01-26-2008, 08:11
Well I was there January 12, 2008 and I did'nt stay. Boy Scout troop 225 mad it there Jungle gym. The Scout Master was rude and and say anything to me or the other 2 guys that hiked in there. The kids were basicly telling us to hike on. TO TROOP 225 FROM OCEAN CITY, MD YOU ALL NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ THE SIGHNS. LEARN THE AT SHELTER RULES!!!

Topcat
01-26-2008, 08:28
Fonsie,
I believe that they are from the Del-Mar-Va council. Google it and file a complaint.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 09:17
Well I was there January 12, 2008 and I did'nt stay. Boy Scout troop 225 mad it there Jungle gym. The Scout Master was rude and and say anything to me or the other 2 guys that hiked in there. The kids were basicly telling us to hike on. TO TROOP 225 FROM OCEAN CITY, MD YOU ALL NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ THE SIGHNS. LEARN THE AT SHELTER RULES!!!

first come, first served. any serious/self-sufficient backpacker wouldn't consider a shelter anyway

Mrs Baggins
01-26-2008, 09:27
We overnighted there when we did a 20 miler from Turners Gap to Harpers Ferry. Great fire pit with lots of seating around it, very nice shelter with ample deck seating and picnic table, and excellent privy. The water is an issue..........1/4 of a mile straight down a hill, and then up that hill loaded down with your water. Sign on the trail pointing to shelter can be easy to miss if you're trudging along and not watching for it.

Topcat
01-26-2008, 18:09
LW,
I agree with you, myconcern is allowing the kids to say things to people that is rude and disrespectful. As i have said before on these page, my kids all carry at least half a tent. if they want to carry it and not use it and there is room in the shelter, that is their pain. if others come, though, they damn well will make room or set up what they have, i dont have any compromise on that point.

refreeman
01-26-2008, 19:01
first come, first served. any serious/self-sufficient backpacker wouldn't consider a shelter anyway

what a crock o' *hit :D

Topcat
01-26-2008, 19:05
first come first serve isn't a crock...it is the rules...it is just how you deal with it that makes you an a hole or not

fonsie
01-27-2008, 09:52
Yea but in big letters said groups more than 10 need to pitch a tent Mainly boy scouts... thats what the sighn says there. Well they where very well jumping down from the upper level. Like I said it was like there jungle gym, thats no way to treat the shelter.

Don H
01-27-2008, 17:50
Sorry to hear about the poor treatment you recieved from this troop. As a scoutmaster of a different troop I believe that this is not the norm. I plan on taking my group on the same trip this spring. My guys will camp in one of the tent areas and Ed Garvey. I teach respect for others at all time including on the trail. I think most scoutamsters would do the same but it only takes one bad apple to give us a bad name.

Topcat
01-27-2008, 17:59
Don,
If you go there, there are only 4 tent pads around the shelter but just north of the shelter on the left side of the trail, is a nice flat area in the rocks where people have set up before. A warning for all, the water source is a long steep walk from the shelter. But it is cold and tasty...

fonsie
01-27-2008, 18:05
Yea I can understand if the scout masters and parents along on the trip want to crash in shelters. I met a few good scouts but then I met a few bad apples. Hope to see some of the good scouts out there. Once my nephews are old enough then I will be vollintering for the one in Waldorf, Md. I have a 2 more years till they turn 10 and they proboly will be very experiance out there because I take them out hiking and camping all the time.

OregonHiker
01-27-2008, 18:40

Perhaps there is better way to have your complaint heard so that it won't happen in the future.

A quick google search shows thath troop is part of this council, not sure which district.

Perhaps a letter to the scout executive, also requesting it be forwarded to the appropriate District Executive outlining your concerns and how the troop behaved inappropriately.
http://www.delmarvacouncil.org/

The toops web site is
http://www.octroop225.org/

Also note that they have there sponsor listed. A cc of the letter may also be a good idea.

OregonHiker
01-27-2008, 18:42
Yea I can understand if the scout masters and parents along on the trip want to crash in shelters. I met a few good scouts but then I met a few bad apples. Hope to see some of the good scouts out there. Once my nephews are old enough then I will be vollintering for the one in Waldorf, Md. I have a 2 more years till they turn 10 and they proboly will be very experiance out there because I take them out hiking and camping all the time.

It's never too early to volunteer.

Don H
01-28-2008, 09:48
Our trooop will camp in an established site not close to the shelter. I'm still researching this trip, just got the MD AT maps last week. If anyone has a suggestion please feel free to post it.

Dogin
01-28-2008, 17:34

I stopped by the shelter with my dog for a watter break on Jan. 12, 08 and the kids and scout master expecially from troop 225 were very friendly with me and my dog. Also I thought the scout master was very good in making sure the scouts picked up their trash. I also noticed that it looked like the younger ones were the ones in the shelter and the older ones set up tents. Those younger ones were so small, I'd have a hard time seeing them carying a tent with all of their other gear. The rules did say first come first serve and I know I wouldn't want my kids sleeping with strangers that no one knows who they are or any thing about them. So theres no resons to put that about this troop thats just rude.

dessertrat
01-28-2008, 18:33
I stopped by the shelter with my dog for a watter break on Jan. 12, 08 and the kids and scout master expecially from troop 225 were very friendly with me and my dog. Also I thought the scout master was very good in making sure the scouts picked up their trash. I also noticed that it looked like the younger ones were the ones in the shelter and the older ones set up tents. Those younger ones were so small, I'd have a hard time seeing them carying a tent with all of their other gear. The rules did say first come first serve and I know I wouldn't want my kids sleeping with strangers that no one knows who they are or any thing about them. So theres no resons to put that about this troop thats just rude.

They may have been nice to you, but the rules say that large groups should camp in tents. I also believe the BSA rules say the same thing about not hogging shelters, even if the AT rules did not. Part of being a scout is about learning to be considerate, I thought.

Topcat
02-02-2008, 08:32
Don,
Dahlgren backpacking site is a good place for a group as well. I have done this stretch many times with groups of scouts, if you want some ideas, just drop me a line.

Del Q
02-02-2008, 14:16
I spent one of those REALLY insane rainy / stormy nights (like a tree is going to come craching through the roof), early March, stayed upstairs, super nice shelter, can't remember about the water, had Scotch with me that trip.

jlb2012
02-04-2008, 14:29

Interesting - a few years ago I found a T shirt from Troop 225, Berlin, MD left at one of the shelters around here (SNP) - I still wear it now and then - as far as I can tell this is the same Troop as was mentioned above. Note my only connection with this troop is the shirt - I have never talked with any of them AFAIK

RockDoc
12-08-2008, 00:44
Stopped in for lunch on 11/26.
A dude dressed in cammo, eating K-rations had his girlfriend there and at 1 pm they were just getting up and packing, in the upper loft.
I think this here was a "stabbin cabin" last night!

dudeijuststarted
01-05-2009, 00:30
great shelter, you can hear artillery rounds go off in the distance as you doze off, very cool

veteran
04-06-2009, 12:56
If you are in need of food or supplies at Ed Garvey Shelter, you can go to Himes Store, north of Weverton at 1324 Weverton Rd. 301-834-9815 Map (http://maps.yahoo.com/map?q1=18952%20Sandyhook%20Rd%20Knoxville%20MD&mag=2&lat=39.326238&lon=-77.709169&ard=1#mvt=m&lat=39.347798&lon=-77.677929&mag=2&zoom=16&tt=himes%20store&tp=1&q1=1324%2520weverton%2520rd%2520Knoxville%2520MD&gid1=12646403)

Himes Store is down the mountain from the Ed Garvey Shelter. There is a gated access road that begins about 35 yards north of Himes store and extends about 3/4 mile uphill to the AT. The junction w/ the AT is about 1/4 mile south of shelter.
It isn't marked and is a little concealed but if you're looking for it you'll probably see it.

Jaybird
04-06-2009, 12:59
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Ed Garvey Shelter
Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?
Future hikers - any questions?Stats: ?

Yea...ME TOO!

this'll be the 1st shelter I hit on May 2nd when i leave HARPERS FERRY with my bud, "MODEL-T"

maybe I'll see some of U WHITEBLAZE.netters out there!:D

Nasty Dog Virus
07-13-2009, 00:28
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/8/9/8/picture_086_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=35105&c=567)

I stayed at the Ed Garvey Shelter Fri (7.10.09) on my last night of a section hike from Pen Mar to Harpers Ferry there were 2 NOBO thru-hikers and 17 section hikers (including myself) staying there. The night before I had the Dahlgren Backpacker Campsite all to myself. The spring was flowing fast and the privy was closed for repairs.

Downhill Trucker
07-13-2009, 06:05
The bathhouse with showers is closed at Dahlgren?

Ed Garvey is a great shelter!

Nasty Dog Virus
07-13-2009, 08:46
The bathhouse with showers is closed at Dahlgren?

Nope, the bathhouse @ Dahlgren was open and the hot showers were a great treat. The privy was closed at Ed Garvey...

veteran
07-13-2009, 09:51
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/8/9/8/picture_086_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=35105&c=567)

I stayed at the Ed Garvey Shelter Fri (7.10.09) on my last night of a section hike from Pen Mar to Harpers Ferry there were 2 NOBO thru-hikers and 17 section hikers (including myself) staying there. The night before I had the Dahlgren Backpacker Campsite all to myself. The spring was flowing fast and the privy was closed for repairs.

Wonder who the Low Life was that vandalized the railing uprights?
Photo from May, 2004

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/1681/tj1681%5F060404%5F121233.jpg

Nasty Dog Virus
07-13-2009, 10:10
Wonder who the Low Life was that vandalized the railing uprights?
Photo from May, 2004

Maybe the same person who felt compelled to vandalize the Mason/Dixon line...
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/7/5/3/0011_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17322&c=searchresults&searchid=25821)

IronGutsTommy
01-13-2011, 14:16
every time i hear the name ed garvey im reminded of dan ackroyd's character on saturday night live.. "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute!"

Cookerhiker
04-24-2011, 21:24
Didn't want to deal with the 1/2 mile downhill trek for water so I cooked dinner at Gathland SP picnic ground to minimize the water I had to carry. I had visited the shelter several times on day hikes but never overnighted until last week.

I liked the tight high-strung wire between trees that served as a bearbag line.

I liked the early morning sun streaming into the shelter owing to its Eastern exposure.

But I didn't like the light pollution from the valley littered with more and more housing developments.

Dogwood
04-25-2011, 04:27
every time i hear the name ed garvey im reminded of dan ackroyd's character on saturday night live.. "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute!"

LOL! You pulled that out of your hat! Tat's what'yall get for livung in Dineedin! LOl!

Oh stop complaning about the walk to water!

Ed Garvey Shelter: one of the largest and nicely constructed and well maintained AT shelters

2006, full shelter, top level was full too, couple of tents set up near shelter, 2 a.m., voices in the night, suddenly several flashlights, hikers start arousing from their slumber, more flashlights, patches on shoulders, shiny badges are flashed, hikers reach to secure personal belongings and herbal supplements, every hiker is awakened with a flashlight poked into their face, some ID's are checked, what the heck is going on?

Authorities were looking for young male who may have headed to the AT to possibly commit suicide. Authorities are finally convinced that the young man is not any of us. Authorities leave.

Awake now. Time for a safety meeting!

Young man is found next day. Depressed but alive. Came out to the AT to think about things!, Sort things out! I understand!

rockfish
05-28-2013, 19:04
Howdy,

Names Rockfish I first thru-hiked the AT in 1999. Spent a rainy night at Gathland Park and after passin on Crampton Shelter found a trail witht a cardboard sign tied to a tree that said shelter. Went to check it out and what i thoufgt might be Rock Run Shelter was an old shelter built in 1940-41 and on the log over the opening was Carved Ed B Garvey shelter. This is not the new one with a loft if hiking North you had to venture a solid .15 or so to reach the Ed. very rustic , very cool I have to send a copy of my slide photo to the ATC in Harpers Ferry

Cookerhiker
05-28-2013, 19:26
Howdy,

Names Rockfish I first thru-hiked the AT in 1999. Spent a rainy night at Gathland Park and after passin on Crampton Shelter found a trail witht a cardboard sign tied to a tree that said shelter. Went to check it out and what i thoufgt might be Rock Run Shelter was an old shelter built in 1940-41 and on the log over the opening was Carved Ed B Garvey shelter. This is not the new one with a loft if hiking North you had to venture a solid .15 or so to reach the Ed. very rustic , very cool I have to send a copy of my slide photo to the ATC in Harpers Ferry

You thruhiked when you were 2 years old? And took slides?

Mrs Baggins
05-28-2013, 19:54
We were there this past Sunday on a dayhike from Gathland to Harpers Ferry. We chatted with a backpacker headed nobo before we got there and I asked him if he had stayed at Garvey. He said "No! It was like Woodstock there!" So we get there around 11 am...there was 2 person Big Agnes tent set up INSIDE the shelter. The owner was nowhere in sight. Pack was there, so we figured he/she was down getting water. Still..if it was so crowded there the night before how extraordinarily rude, unthinking, thick headed, inconsiderate and more to have set up that tent IN the shelter. Another thing we noticed...we've stayed there before and hiked past it many times. The sign that was up on the front of it that called it out as the "Ed Garvey" shelter was gone. So some stinking thief vandal stole it. There used to be 3 benches around the fire pit. Now there is only one. The sign pointing out the trail to the spring is gone.

Del Q
05-28-2013, 21:38
When I was there it was early March 2006.....should have listened to my partner and gone much further South

Got over 32 degrees one time in a week

Snow, ice and cold.............52lb winter pack (stupid).............got to this shelter, had enough water, ate, had a drink of great whisky, rode out a nice storm, slept in the loft, super nice shelter. Never thought about or had to go for water.

Started early in the am walking on ice and snow............all the way to PA

Not one of my best section hikes on the AT

Cookerhiker
05-28-2013, 22:12
We were there this past Sunday on a dayhike from Gathland to Harpers Ferry. We chatted with a backpacker headed nobo before we got there and I asked him if he had stayed at Garvey. He said "No! It was like Woodstock there!" So we get there around 11 am...there was 2 person Big Agnes tent set up INSIDE the shelter. The owner was nowhere in sight. Pack was there, so we figured he/she was down getting water. Still..if it was so crowded there the night before how extraordinarily rude, unthinking, thick headed, inconsiderate and more to have set up that tent IN the shelter. Another thing we noticed...we've stayed there before and hiked past it many times. The sign that was up on the front of it that called it out as the "Ed Garvey" shelter was gone. So some stinking thief vandal stole it. There used to be 3 benches around the fire pit. Now there is only one. The sign pointing out the trail to the spring is gone.

That's a damn shame:mad:

When I was there it was early March 2006.....should have listened to my partner and gone much further South

Got over 32 degrees one time in a week

Snow, ice and cold.............52lb winter pack (stupid).............got to this shelter, had enough water, ate, had a drink of great whisky, rode out a nice storm, slept in the loft, super nice shelter. Never thought about or had to go for water.

Started early in the am walking on ice and snow............all the way to PA

Not one of my best section hikes on the AT

If going further South meant Florida instead of the AT, then you're right.

If you meant further south on the AT, it would have been just as cold or colder.

Mrs Baggins
05-29-2013, 05:12
Howdy,

So someone moved the Ed Garvey sign from the actual Garvey shelter to the old Rocky Run shelter in '99? Because it was on it's rightful shelter in 2003 and it was still there in Feb 2012 when I took a group there on a day hike. It shows up in the photos that I took that day. Apparently someone thinks it's funny to move the sign around? Or this time maybe they just flat out stole it. :(

MDSection12
05-29-2013, 08:36
Not sure how they Winter but while this thread is on the first page I figure I'll mention that there were black widows in the back left corner of Ed Garvey last Fall.

Other than that it's a great shelter. Seems like there's always a couple nice folks staying there on any given night. :)

Blissful
05-29-2013, 20:50
Yes the black widows were there last year. Not sure about this year.

Studlintsean
05-30-2013, 07:34
No water issues in this section that i need to worry about correct? Thanks in advance

MDSection12
05-30-2013, 08:24
Yes the black widows were there last year. Not sure about this year.

Despite being a self-proclaimed arachnophobe I actually slept directly under that corner with no issues one night. I was tired and the shelter was full so I just went for it. They don't seem to move around a lot. I actually kind of appreciated getting to see them.

No water issues in this section that i need to worry about correct? Thanks in advance

Nope, not right now. With a little planning you could get through Maryland only drinking from spigots. Good water sources listed below (that I've drank from without treatment within the last two months.) When we get into late July some of the sources may start drying up.

Pen-Mar Park (Bathroom)
Thurston Griggs Spring (POGO Memorial Campground)
Annapolis Rocks
Washington Monument (Spigot)
Dahlgren Backpacker's Campground (Full Bath House)
Rocky Run Shelter
Crampton's Gap (This was dry by mid July last year)
Gathland State Park (Spigot)
Ed Garvey Shelter

I don't like the two springs North of POGO, because they are box style so the water is sitting stagnant... I would treat those if I drank from them but usually I just skip over them.

EastCoastClimber
07-24-2014, 14:05
How busy/occupied is this shelter during summer nights? Do weekend campers ever stay here? I only visited one time as I passed through, ate lunch here, but never stayed a night.

QHShowoman
07-24-2014, 14:21
How busy/occupied is this shelter during summer nights? Do weekend campers ever stay here? I only visited one time as I passed through, ate lunch here, but never stayed a night.

It's probably the nicest shelter in the MD section and is fairly accessible. Expect it to be crowded with weekend warriors/scout groups/etc. on Fri/Sat nights.

Del Q
07-24-2014, 19:52
Nice shelter, I was there years ago in the freezing cold of early March. Slept upstairs. Did not need to get water.........

MD not my favorite part of the AT

RockDoc
07-24-2014, 21:03
Last time through we stayed in the Bear Creek Cabin, just south of Lamb's Knoll (a few hours north of EG shelter). We had to rent it from the PATC. Not too far out of the way, 0.5 mi or so. Peaceful, with a pretty good spring.

mdbamabrad
10-14-2014, 16:44
Not to bad.

paule
10-10-2015, 21:17
. Very nice shelter, the bear cable was broken and the stink bugs had taken over. I was there Wednesday and Friday night. I camped at the tent platform north of the shelter, Wednesday there was only two of us so the other gentleman opted for the shelter. He set his tent up in the shelter to avoid the bugs but did mention if it got crowded he would take it down. I saw a trail maintainer Thursday and he asked if there were any problems, I completely forgot about the bear cable but reported a tree across the trail, he said he had just taken care of that. I like that the shelter is close to the trail and it looks beautiful. The water source although a little walk has a nice picture pipe outlet to fill bags and bottles.

Kaptainkriz
10-17-2015, 20:13
Thanks for the update. I may stop by there next weekend. :)

. Very nice shelter, the bear cable was broken and the stink bugs had taken over. I was there Wednesday and Friday night. I camped at the tent platform north of the shelter, Wednesday there was only two of us so the other gentleman opted for the shelter. He set his tent up in the shelter to avoid the bugs but did mention if it got crowded he would take it down. I saw a trail maintainer Thursday and he asked if there were any problems, I completely forgot about the bear cable but reported a tree across the trail, he said he had just taken care of that. I like that the shelter is close to the trail and it looks beautiful. The water source although a little walk has a nice picture pipe outlet to fill bags and bottles.

Blue Mountain Edward
10-18-2015, 16:58
The last time I slept there in 2013 there was huge trees down on the trail to the spring . A nice shelter with room for a bunch of hikers. I felt safe from bears, coons or porcupines in the loft. Did not even bear bag my food. Ain't there a Locke's metal box outside the shelter? Anyone know what the mysterious box contains?

paule
10-18-2015, 18:49
The last time I slept there in 2013 there was huge trees down on the trail to the spring . A nice shelter with room for a bunch of hikers. I felt safe from bears, coons or porcupines in the loft. Did not even bear bag my food. Ain't there a Locke's metal box outside the shelter? Anyone know what the mysterious box contains?
I figured some tools for maintenance,but not sure,,,,no trees across trail to water,and bugs were gone as it cooled down some.

Kaptainkriz
10-22-2015, 16:13
Box is locked, not for food. It's an effing stink bug invasion. Will most likely set the tent!

paule
10-22-2015, 16:55
Box is locked, not for food. It's an effing stink bug invasion. Will most likely set the tent!
Yes those bugs were all over when I was there,but then it cooled down and they were gone.I guess they are back.BTW love your Amonoosuc trail video,used that trail for a descent after climb up Washington,what a ride.

Kaptainkriz
10-22-2015, 18:19
Thanks, that was a fun hike.