PDA

View Full Version : hiking poles ?

fivefour
04-27-2006, 08:46
yes yes, tis time to retire the wooden staff and invest in something a little lighter and more useful. any suggestions ? i am eyeing the komperdell denali titans for $64.95. they seem to be fairly light weight and pack up the smallest for the price.

Footslogger
04-27-2006, 08:53
I started out with Komperdell ultralights (REI labelled). They lasted quite a while and served me well. This past year I took advantage of a sale at REI and picked up a pair of Leki Titanium Ultralights.

Pretty hard to go wrong regardless of what brand/model you choose. One thing though ...the Leki rep shows up at Trail Days and will service your sticks free.

'Slogger

Phreak
04-27-2006, 10:15
I use Leki Super Makalu. Leki have a liftetime guarantee against breakage and their customer service is outstanding.

fivefour
04-27-2006, 10:19
hmmm ... lifetime guarantee eh ? that says alot.

Footslogger
04-27-2006, 10:38
hmmm ... lifetime guarantee eh ? that says alot.
==================================
...and you'll pay dearly for it. But then again, a lifetime warrany may well be worth it.

I initially went the less expensive route and got decent service/life out of the komperdells for the price paid. If you take decent care of a pair of sticks and don't end up impaling a tip and bending/braking a pole they will stay with you for many a mile.

'Slogger

LostInSpace
04-27-2006, 10:38
I agree with Footslogger that it is pretty hard to go wrong regardless of what brand/model you choose.

I have been using what is now called the Black Diamond Switchback (http://www.bdel.com/gear/switchback.php) for five years, and I am very happpy with them. I like the FlickLock locking mechanism and the poles are compact for travel. I recommend any of the models with the double FlickLocks.

My experience has been that Black Diamond provides excellent customer service.

Seeker
04-27-2006, 11:27
i'm probably just nostalgic, but i still like my staff... i cut it when i was in boy scouts about 30 years ago. it's been everywhere i've been. being a bit longer than a hiking pole, i have found it useful for crossing streams, holding up the edge of a tarp, moving snakes, climbing down steep portions of trails, and should i ever run into an unfriendly animal, i'd prefer something more stout than an aluminum/titanium tube. that said, my knees still complain, but not that loudly. so maybe someday i'll need two staves, and will go to poles.

on the cheap side, walmart sells poles called swiss-something or other for about $10 each... someone here used them without trouble, though they don't have a 'lifetime' guarantee... though i've not used them hiking, just handled them in the store, they seem sturdy enough. so for $10, it might be worth trying if you need another option besides lekis.

fivefour
04-27-2006, 11:37
i just hiked a few days in the smokys with a friend who used the swiss poles. they worked great until we got back to the van and he couldn't collapse them. the twist and lock mechanism wouldn't unlock.

fivefour
04-27-2006, 11:40
i do agree with you on the protection that a wooden staff offers. i do uphills so much better with 2 poles however and 2 wooden poles get a little heavy after a bit.

Footslogger
04-27-2006, 11:41
[quote=Seeker]i'm probably just nostalgic, but i still like my staff... i cut it when i was in boy scouts about 30 years ago.
==========================================
Me too ...and it's hanging over the fireplace mantle. Has all sorts of engravings and shields on it marking the different trails it has seen. 3 treks to Philmont and well over 2000 AT miles. But I'll tell you honestly, with a trekking pole in each hand, adjusted to the correct height, I get much better balance and establish a smooth pace/rythm. And although I have the heart and mind of a youngster, this chassis does have almost 57 years on it and the sticks are much better for controlling the load on my knees during downhills.

But, it's all about personal preference. Ain't nothing wrong with a trusty old staff.

'Slogger

Frosty
04-27-2006, 13:23
i do agree with you on the protection that a wooden staff offers. How many animals have you bonked with it so far?

fivefour
04-27-2006, 13:57
How many animals have you bonked with it so far?

uhmmmm ... well, i chase my cat around the house with it but if you are asking about wild animals, i would have to say none. i have used it to move some very cold snakes off the trail however. and once at mount rogers i bonked the hell out of a friend for putting pony poo in my pocket. wow that really fired me up.

Shutterbug
04-27-2006, 14:02
i just hiked a few days in the smokys with a friend who used the swiss poles. they worked great until we got back to the van and he couldn't collapse them. the twist and lock mechanism wouldn't unlock.

I have been "testing" a pair of the Swiss Gear Poles from WalMart since Christmas. During the winter most of my hiking is road walking so I have almost worn out the first set of rubber tips. When I tried to buy a new set of the tips, I found that it is just as cheap to buy a new set of poles.

At $9.99 per pole, one can't have too high of expectations, but I have had no problems.

It took several weeks before I discovered the "shock absorbers" in the poles. I think the shock absorbers were locked when the poles were new. Once I knocked them loose, they have worked well.

So far, I have avoided bending them.

At the price, I consider them to be a bargain. They are particularly well suited for someone, like me, who isn't sure they want to use hiking poles. Like I said, I am still testing them.

Hana_Hanger
04-27-2006, 14:20
This is the part that bothers me....stating that so far I have avoided bending or breaking them.

When I have all my weight resting on a wooden staff/pole going down a steep step if it breaks or bends...I am doomed!!!

Footslogger
04-27-2006, 15:01
[quote=Shutterbug]I have been "testing" a pair of the Swiss Gear Poles from WalMart since Christmas.
======================================
I saw those at the local Wal-Mart and wondered how they'd hold up. Those are the ones with the little compass built into the handgrip, correct ??

Pretty hard to beat that price if in fact they are reasonably strong and durable.

'Slogger

Rhettamus
04-27-2006, 15:08
walmart speacial 9.99! great shock absorbent poles! screw the rest of those expensive ones

RockyTrail
04-27-2006, 15:23
This is the part that bothers me....stating that so far I have avoided bending or breaking them.

When I have all my weight resting on a wooden staff/pole going down a steep step if it breaks or bends...I am doomed!!!

Poles usually dont bend under those circumstances (i.e. climbing down a step).
Usually it's when the pole goes deep between two rocks or logs and you keep on moving forward; it forms a big lever and the lower half gets bent.

TN_Hiker
04-27-2006, 15:44
[quote=fivefour]yes yes, tis time to retire the wooden staff and invest in something a little lighter and more useful. any suggestions ?

Noooooo.......say it's not true. Have to ask why the change of heart? I've been using my hickory stick for 20 something years and thought switching but too attached to my stick to let it go.

Frosty
04-27-2006, 16:10
once at mount rogers i bonked the hell out of a friend for putting pony poo in my pocket. Justifiable bonking! I can see where a carbon fiber pole would be inadequate for that task.

Hana_Hanger
04-27-2006, 16:33
Poles usually dont bend under those circumstances (i.e. climbing down a step).
Usually it's when the pole goes deep between two rocks or logs and you keep on moving forward; it forms a big lever and the lower half gets bent.

Thank you for clearing this up...now I would have more trust in those kind of trekking poles:banana

lbbrown
04-27-2006, 16:49
I wouldn't hike anywhere without my Pacer Poles!

www.pacerpoles.com (http://www.pacerpoles.com)
www.ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com)

Don't leave home without 'em!

atraildreamer
04-27-2006, 19:06
If you live in the Northeast (RI, CT, MA, NH, ME?), there is a chain of stores called "The Ocean State Job Lot". They carry a line of 3 piece, adjustable aluminum hiking poles that have the shock absorber, carbide tips and rubber tip covers. Very similar to the Walmart poles, but no compass. They cost $9.97, but I have picked them up on sale for $6.67. They do not have a manufacturers name on them, but the attached tag says that they "have been tested on the mountains of the world."

Shutterbug
04-27-2006, 19:08
[quote=Shutterbug]I have been "testing" a pair of the Swiss Gear Poles from WalMart since Christmas.
======================================
I saw those at the local Wal-Mart and wondered how they'd hold up. Those are the ones with the little compass built into the handgrip, correct ??

Pretty hard to beat that price if in fact they are reasonably strong and durable.

'Slogger

Yes. They have the compass in the handle. For $9.97!!

wilderness bob
04-27-2006, 21:14
I switched from my hiking staff (that I have had for over 30 years) to trekking poles in Damascus last year. Everything went well, I developed a nice rhythm and the miles seemed easier. It soon became apparent that cross country skiing and trekking with poles share a lot of similarities (in the techniques to use them). If you ever cross country skied you will know exactly what I mean. Other then that trail talk said that it took only a few days to get use to them for first timers. I do not recommend keeping your wrists through the straps though, if you fall or they get snagged in something you can just "let them go". This way they don't bend and they don't get tangled in your feet when falling (a trekking pole stab in the shin sucks). Peace, WB

PS, remember this is one of those things in life that when it comes to the cost, "you get what you pay for".

DawnTreader
04-28-2006, 00:50
I have a beat up set of wally world swiss poles.. They were my first set of poles and served me well, although, the locking mechanisms on my set took a poop shortly after buying them.. Nobody has mentioned the mini compass on the grip handle!! super snazy.. I've since switched to the Gossemar Gear non adjustables, and the verdict is still out..

fivefour
04-28-2006, 08:41
I wouldn't hike anywhere without my Pacer Poles!

www.pacerpoles.com (http://www.pacerpoles.com)
www.ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com)

Don't leave home without 'em!

whoa, what kinda of license do you need to operate those puppies ?

lbbrown
04-28-2006, 10:01
No license needed! Once you grip these poles, you'll wonder why everyone isn't using them. Standard hiking poles require the "broomstick" grip. Clenching or squeezing the grip is what keeps your hand from sliding down the pole. Climbing uphill one must squeeze harder as you pull yourself up. This can increase fatigue in the hand, wrist, and forearm.
PACERPOLES are ergonomicly (sp?) designed to fit in the palm of your hand. Body weight is supported on the palm and heel of your hand. They are adjustable and have carbide tips with removeable rubber boots. They also have removeable snow baskets. ULA-Equipment is the only U.S. distributor I know of. I've had mine almost 2 years and I paid about $120.

www.pacerpole.com (http://www.pacerpole.com) is a great website that explains in detail the design and biomechanical application.

Footslogger
04-28-2006, 10:26
Pacer Poles look like a great concept however, if a standard pole with a foam grip and strap are adjusted and used correctly, the heel of the hand is fully supported and the tightness of your grip can be relaxed to avoid excess strain and fatigue. The real advantage I see in the Pacer Poles is the positive angle of the grip itself. That alone reduces the flexion/extension forces on the wrist.

Might try them one of these days ...as I know and respect Brian and the ULA product line. But I still have to burn through the poles I have.

'Slogger

vipahman
04-28-2006, 10:28
No license needed! Once you grip these poles, you'll wonder why everyone isn't using them. Standard hiking poles require the "broomstick" grip. Clenching or squeezing the grip is what keeps your hand from sliding down the pole. Climbing uphill one must squeeze harder as you pull yourself up. This can increase fatigue in the hand, wrist, and forearm.
PACERPOLES are ergonomicly (sp?) designed to fit in the palm of your hand. Body weight is supported on the palm and heel of your hand. They are adjustable and have carbide tips with removeable rubber boots. They also have removeable snow baskets. ULA-Equipment is the only U.S. distributor I know of. I've had mine almost 2 years and I paid about $120.

www.pacerpole.com (http://www.pacerpole.com) is a great website that explains in detail the design and biomechanical application.
I'll tell you why I wouldn't buy them.
1. Weight - They are heavy at 23.4 oz. That's 1 1/2 lbs that my shoulder has to swing back and forth. The cheapest poles usually come in at 20 oz. :rolleyes:
2. Grips - Body weight being supported on the palm and heel of the hand is a pretty good way to get carpal tunnel syndrome. Talk about a thru' and most likely you will. :eek:
3. Cost - $125 for the heaviest poles in the market. :confused:

I'm definitely not buying.

RockyTrail
04-28-2006, 10:44
As for weight supported on the heel of the hand, isn't that what "standard" poles do via the strap? I don't see how Pacerpoles are any more a risk of carpal tunnel than regular poles.

Something I will credit Pacerpoles is that they claim a strap is not needed.
This is one advantage over standard poles in the event of a spill because there is no risk of getting tangled in the strap.

icemanat95
04-28-2006, 11:06
I have one of the Ocean State Poles, bought it for my son. Anti-shock system, can be turned on or off. Seems pretty decent.

rgarling
04-28-2006, 11:33
Standard hiking poles require the "broomstick" grip. Clenching or squeezing the grip is what keeps your hand from sliding down the pole. Climbing uphill one must squeeze harder as you pull yourself up. This can increase fatigue in the hand, wrist, and forearm.

If you are gripping your standard poles in this manner, you are making a mistake. Proper use of the strap = little/no need to grip the pole

mingo
04-28-2006, 12:38
you people have been bamboozled by the makers of trekking poles. first, they told us a wooden staff wasn't good enough. we needed an aluminum pole. then they said we had to have two poles. then we needed two titanium poles. then we had to have antishock poles. listen to yourselves babbling back and forth about your damn sticks. it's silly. if you can't walk down a pathway in the woods without a crutch, then you need to get yourself in better shape.

rgarling
04-28-2006, 12:55
mingo... if you don't want to use them don't. People who are using them aren't being bamboozled by anyone; and, since you can't tell the difference, I will enlighten you thusly: crutches are not hiking poles. Perhaps that has been your problem.

Seeker
04-28-2006, 13:33
if you can't walk down a pathway in the woods without a crutch, then you need to get yourself in better shape.

that was cruel, rude, uncouth, and uncalled for... 'in better shape' isn't always the problem... if you're 50 like your profile says, either you've been damned lucky, damned lazy, or had a soft life, if you still have working knees. i know i gave both knees, my lower neck, and a shoulder to my country... none of them work properly for a 41 year old... i ache most of the time, but still like to hike. with an ancient wooden staff, even. and if someone wants to use a set of expensive hiking poles, let them. you hike your hike, i'll hike mine, and let them hike theirs...

Footslogger
04-28-2006, 13:44
that was cruel, rude, uncouth, and uncalled for... 'in better shape' isn't always the problem... if you're 50 like your profile says, either you've been damned lucky, damned lazy, or had a soft life, if you still have working knees. i know i gave both knees, my lower neck, and a shoulder to my country... none of them work properly for a 41 year old... i ache most of the time, but still like to hike. with an ancient wooden staff, even. and if someone wants to use a set of expensive hiking poles, let them. you hike your hike, i'll hike mine, and let them hike theirs...
===================================

Roger that ....

'Slogger

mingo
04-28-2006, 14:51
i know i gave both knees, my lower neck, and a shoulder to my country...

so it's unpatriotic to be dissing the use of trekking poles? my bad

rgarling
04-28-2006, 14:58
so it's unpatriotic to be dissing the use of trekking poles?

I suspected this guy was a troll, but he has many cogent posts on Whiteblaze. I think we just need to forgive him for being ignorant and argumentative when it comes to hiking poles.

RockyTrail
04-28-2006, 15:00
===================================

Roger that ....

'Slogger

And ROGER THAT.

sierraDoug
04-28-2006, 21:02
I suspect some trekking pole users are bamboozled. By seeing everyone else doing it, and by salespeople in the shops. Those who are young, pain-free, and barely touch the ground with the things look like they're just doing it 'cause everyone else is. Not for me.

However... anyone who gets needed help, or finds they improve their hiking rhythm, or just plain like poles, should be left alone to use them without criticism. I'm just glad I don't need them for bad knees (yet).

titanium_hiker
04-29-2006, 05:07
I have bad knees, (can feel them now, actually, darn cold! this is after spending most of the day in bed too. ) and I'm only 18. I seriously hate going down hills. As well as for hiking, I'm looking at poles to set up my hammock on the ground if needed. (tarp poles)

cheep-os for this poor student though!

TH

mbroadhe
04-30-2006, 09:35
I just started using them this year (Walmart $10 jobbers) due to the pain in my knees after hiking downhill over an extended period of time. After the first time using them I found I was using muscles that weren't used while hiking without them. Mainly in the upper body and arms. If I can turn hiking into a full body workout instead of just using my legs and take some stress off my knees, you'll see me hiking with these puppies all the time. I too was wondering what the stink was all about. But, decided at $10 a pole, I could afford to find out why everyone was using the poles and why they spoke so highly of them. I don't regret my purchase at all (but I don't think I'd buy a $100 set of poles - I'm cheap) and will continue trekking with poles.

weary
04-30-2006, 11:12
you people have been bamboozled by the makers of trekking poles. first, they told us a wooden staff wasn't good enough. we needed an aluminum pole. then they said we had to have two poles. then we needed two titanium poles. then we had to have antishock poles. listen to yourselves babbling back and forth about your damn sticks. it's silly. if you can't walk down a pathway in the woods without a crutch, then you need to get yourself in better shape.
All true. Though I still carry my trusty wooden pole (alder 9.5 ounces) My excuse. It doubles as a monopod for my camera. And yeah, age and an iregular heart beat has impacted my balance, making three legs slightly more stable than two.

In the interest of full disclosure, in a weak moment several years ago I added a Komperdelll grip, strap and compass (two extra and unneeded ounces. plus $12,95) The pole naturally has a little "give" in the middle absorbing some shock, now more than ever since I've been using it to break off dead pine and spruce branches that intrude into the trail. Our land trust trail master is a bit shorter than my 6' 2". One good whack breaks the offending branches into flutter of dead wood pieces.

I replace the rubber tip occasionally (66 cents at Ace Hardware stores)

WEary

wilderness bob
05-01-2006, 07:12
Amen slogger, amen.... De Oppresso liber

Seeker
05-01-2006, 11:30
so it's unpatriotic to be dissing the use of trekking poles? my bad

i didn't say anything about patriotism... i'm pointing out that it's cruel to 'diss' the handicapped for not being in 'better shape'... and that's how i took your comment. i'm not handicapped... and i am in good physical shape. but i like the way i feel my knees feel after a day with a pole better than after a day without it... why do old people use canes? should they not be allowed to walk in public unless they get in better shape? i can't believe that's what you would mean...

i have no wish to be antagonistic... you've posted enough good stuff that it's obvious you're not a troll... i'll just chalk it up to both of us having a bad day... your comments probably were not directed at those who have a physical need for a crutch/pole... had i been more patient, i could have asked what you meant instead of jumping right on...

rgarling, thanks for pointing this out.

fivefour
05-02-2006, 16:58
for those of you that use poles, do yall prefer the click locks or the twist locks ?

Footslogger
05-02-2006, 17:21
for those of you that use poles, do yall prefer the click locks or the twist locks ?
=================================
Not sure I know the difference, other than in the implied name. I have always had the ones that you twist to activate the spring loading.

Interesting thing about the whole shock absorbing inner springs though ....I found that after the novelty wore off I stopped switching back and forth between the settings. I set them to the "spring on mode" and left them that way. Maybe I'm just lazy but there didn't seem to be enough difference to me to warrant the adjustments based on the grade of the trail.

'Slogger

fivefour
05-03-2006, 08:43
some of the poles have a twisting lock to set the length, other have the button that locks into holes. the click/button only has certain settings where the poles can be set but the twist locks can lock at any length (up to the maximum). i have seen both and was wondering if anyone had used both.

RockyTrail
05-03-2006, 09:34
I have twist-lock poles (lekis).

I've never seen the "click-lock" type, but one thing to remember is that if the pole has any looseness or wobble between sections it can be very aggravating to use. It would seem that the twist-lock would be more immune to this over the long haul because it can be tightened as necessary; just something to consider.

In my opinion the spring is a gimmick and I'd just as soon not have it.
In fact I modified my poles to eliminate the spring action altogether and I always use the rubber tips, I can't take the scratching of the sharp tips. But overall these poles have saved my old knees, kept me from many a spill and they are great for stream fords. It's also the pole for my tarp tent.

fivefour
05-03-2006, 11:35
yeah, i was leaning away from the click locks ...

rmtjr
05-08-2006, 17:06
Black Diamond (BD) markets trekking poles with "flick locks." I have a 2004 pair of BD Contour poles. Contours were BD's lilghtweight entry in the trekking pole field. I replaced the middle and lower sections this year, and wound up with their generic sections, so my poles are not as light as they used to be. The "flick lock" is a cam device that squeezes the upper pole's circumference around the middle pole section. I can adjust the tension and pressure by turning a screw with my thumbnail. I do not know if this mechanism is any better or worse than the twist locks, but it is easy to work and I have no complaints about the system. The lower shaft mates to the center section with a "binary" lock. The "binary" lock is a two ended spring that pushes little tangs in the lower section through matching holes in the center section to hold the two in place. Again, I don't know if this is any better or any worse than other techniques. Bob