PDA

View Full Version : Remarkable Trees of Virginia - nominations needed

Philip Jones
04-27-2006, 23:20
A new book is being written on the 100 (or so) most remarkable trees in Virginia, and the authors are looking for nominations. All trees nominated will be listed in the book, along with the first person who nominated them.

"To be chosen, a tree may be awesomely beautiful or widely loved. It may be really old, or have an interesting history. It may be the largest of its kind, but not necessarily."

Any suggestions for AT trees? The Keffer Oak would be an obvious one. I don't think that's been nominated yet because there's only one from Craig County in the list right now. I've only seen it once, so someone else who knows more about it (and has a photo) should nominate it. It's your chance for a piece of botanical history.

Here's a link to an article about the project, which is based at Virginia Tech:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137835611750

The project's website:
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/4h/remarkabletree/

If you nominate a tree, from the AT or elsewhere, let everyone here know!

Ridge
04-28-2006, 00:12
American Yellowwood located near Mt Rogers, Va. A beautiful 40ish foot tree when in bloom.

Lugnut
04-28-2006, 14:43
There was a poplar tree near the pond campsite just before the old Laurel creek train bridge (now a footbridge) that had a pine tree growing several feet up in a crook of it's branches. Probably not noteworthy enough to make the list but it really caught my eye.

fireboy
05-01-2006, 19:19
Pioneers used this one for coffee bean substitute.

Gymnocladus dioicus/Kentucky coffee tree

Spotsyvania, County

Blissful
05-01-2006, 19:31
The kissing trees at Pass Mtn Hut

Newb
09-08-2006, 13:07
has anyone ever noticed the HUGE trees on the north side of the Shenandoah River from harpers Ferry? There are Paw Paw trees in there that are 2 feet around..It's an incredible stand of relatively old growth on the heights there.

Oh, and you're welcome for the resurrection of an old thread :)